slim pickens

Cory redding traded to Seattle?...

http://www.mlive.com/lions/index.ssf/2009/03/rumor_lions_might_trade_cory_r.html

Lions working on trading Cory Redding to Seahawks for Julian Peterson

by Tom Kowalski

Saturday March 14, 2009, 10:47 AM

UPDATED at 11:17 a.m.

A report that first surfaced in ProFootballTalk.com has been confirmed -- the Detroit Lions are trying to work a trade with the Seattle Seahawks. The Lions would send defensive tackle Cory Redding to Seattle in exchange for Pro Bowl linebacker Julian Peterson.

"We have nothing to confirm at this time,'' said Lions spokesman Bill Keenist.

An e-mail and a phone message to Redding's agent, Kennard McGuire, have not been returned yet.

The Lions might have a replacement for Redding already on the team. The Lions, who have made some sweeping changes in the roster because certain players didn't fit the system, have kept defensive tackle Chuck Darby on board. While some believe Darby, a former player for Rod Marinelli, is a "Tampa Two guy,'' Darby did start for three years in Seattle before joining the Lions last season.

The Lions have said they need to do a better job of stopping the run and they might be thinking of pairing Darby, 33, and recently acquired tackle Grady Jackson, 36, on running downs. Darby, who is a shade under 300 pounds, can get bigger. The Lions could then turn over the tackle spot to other players, including Ikaika Alama-Francis and Andre Fluellen, on passing downs.

The acquisition of Peterson, who was expected to be cut, would immediately fill Detroit's vacancy at strong side linebacker.

http://www.profootballtalk.com/2009/03/14/redding-trade-would-chew-up-7332-million-in-cap-space/

REDDING TRADE WOULD CHEW UP $7.332 MILLION IN CAP SPACE

Posted by Mike Florio on March 14, 2009, 11:10 a.m. EDT

We’ve gotten a look-see at the contract of Lions defensive tackle Cory Redding. If the Lions trade him to Seattle, the empty spot on the roster that he otherwise would have occupied will still consume a whopping $7.332 million in 2009 cap space.

It’s nearly $2 million more than the $5.383 million cap number that will apply to Redding if he plays for the Lions in 2009.

And the move brings into sharp focus a tool that some teams might use to reduce actual cash expenditures this year. With the salary cap at $127 million and the salary floor at $111 million, one easy way to spend money against the cap without actually spending real dollars is to trade or release players with bonus allocations applicable in future years.

In Redding’s case, a trade would allows the Lions to shift nearly $5.5 million from years that might not have a salary cap at all into the last season under the current labor agreement.

Thus, teams can use money that they already have spent in past seasons to help satisfy the minimum expenditures they’re required to make this year.

Of course, they have to give up the player in order to do it. But if a fair trade can be swung, it’s much easier to justify cutting the cord, since the team will also chew up cap dollars without writing any new checks.

Meanwhile, Redding’s contract reveals that the total remaining payout to the defensive tackle over five years will exceed $30 million, if the full five years are honored. In addition to $25.6 million in base salaries, Redding is due to receive a total of $1.45 million in workout bonuses and $3.675 million in roster bonuses.

There goes any more talk of the Lions drafting Curry. #20 will almost definitely be spent on a DT...either Jerry or Ziggy.

Redding is 28, Peterson is 30, and will be 31 in July.

Peterson is a Pro Bowler who had 5 sacks and 86 tackles last season. he had 9.5 sacks in 07, and 10.0 sacks in 06. He's a LB who definitely gets to the QB. I'd take him in a heartbeat. He has also had 4 forced fumbles each of the last 2 seasons.

The cap space Redding's hole is going to take up is an issue, though.

I would LOVE to get Raji.

If this trade goes down, I'd be fine with Stafford, Smith, or Raji at #1. I wanted Curry, but SLB obviously wouldn't be a need anymore. We would still need a MLB at 20 or 33, though.

B.J. Raji looking better and better. Isn't Jerry the exact type of DT that the Lions are trying to shed?

Yes, that is why I have been wondering why we would have an interest in him. Seems like the type of player we are trying to get away from. We are looking more for the BJ Raji or Ron Brace type.

B.J. Raji looking better and better. Isn't Jerry the exact type of DT that the Lions are trying to shed?

No, he's got decent size, with room to add more. He moves really well, especially laterally.

http://blog.seattlepi.nwsource.com/football/archives/164166.asp?from=blog_last3

Hawks: Peterson for Redding trade?

Could the Seahawks trade linebacker Julian Peterson to the Lions for defensive tackle Cory Redding?

It's a possibility, according to a repot on Pro Football Talk that cites a league source.

Redding signed a seven-year, $49 million contract two years ago, while under the franchise player designation in Detroit. Per NFLPA records, PFT reports, he has five years and $25.6 million in base salary remaining on the deal.

The Seahawks reportedly will be cutting linebacker Julian Peterson, who in 2006 signed a seven-year, $54 million deal. The move will allow the Seahawks to avoid more than $30 million in salary obligations over the next four seasons.

Potential compensation to the Lions for Redding isn't yet known. Seattle currently holds the fourth overall pick in the 2009 draft, and it's unlikely that the team would give up that much in order to land Redding.

well that makes about zero sense. Let's trade player for player. But first let's cut the player then trade draft picks. Nice work, Clare Farnsworth.

I wonder if a swap of picks #1 and #4 will be involved in this trade. Maybe pick up Seattle's 2nd or 3rd round pick in the process as well?

Redding + #1

for

Peterson + #4 + #37

would be incredible. Not likely, though...

I wonder if a swap of picks #1 and #4 will be involved in this trade. Maybe pick up Seattle's 2nd or 3rd round pick in the process as well?

Redding + #1

for

Peterson + #4 + #37

I remember reading Lewand saying he likes the opportunity to sign the player before they make their pick. Not likely at all.

Redding + #1

for

Peterson + #4 + #37

That would be too good to be true. If they could swing that I'd have to already award Mayhew GM of the year.

I'm thinking something along the lines of Redding for Peterson and a 4th.

That is much more likely, and I'd still take it, but I'd love to swap #1 for #4 and bargain from there on compensation.

http://www.profootballtalk.com/category/rumor-mill/

REDDING TRADE TALKS CONFIRMED

Posted by Mike Florio on March 14, 2009, 12:04 p.m.

Our pal Tom Kowalski of Mlive.com reports that, indeed, the Detroit Lions are in talks that would send defensive tackle Cory Redding to the Seahawks.

Kowalski reports, and we’ve confirmed, that the deal would ship linebacker Julian Peterson to Detroit.

We’re told that the Lions also would get a draft pick.

For now, the team isn’t talking. “We have nothing to confirm at this time,” Lions spokesman Bill Keenist told Kowalski.

Absent a restructuring by either player, the teams would essentially be swapping more than $30 million each in future salaries and bonuses. But, as we pointed out earlier, the hidden benefit is that the bonus acceleration will allow them to chew up extra 2009 cap space at no actual cost.

I'll say this for Mayhew, he's always trying to do something. Millen was never this busy. Mayhew is going out and trying to get things done. Good to see.

Peterson SLB, Sims WLB, now we need a MLB. I could see maybe Laurinatis at 33, but not at 20.

Or Scott McKillop in the third.