Corky

Hey Guitar Guys!

When your awkward middle-aged next door neighbor plays for one of the premier pure rock outfits:

I think that dude has been playing Oranges for over 20 years at least, I saw clutch when I was in high school (so prolly like 93?) at St Andrews and he was rocking the Orange there too.   I remember it b/c it was the first time I'd ever seen one.

13 minutes ago, pfife said:

I think that dude has been playing Oranges for over 20 years at least, I saw clutch when I was in high school (so prolly like 93?) at St Andrews and he was rocking the Orange there too.   I remember it b/c it was the first time I'd ever seen one.

I was late to the party on Clutch because I really didn't like the only song I heard at the time (Spacegrass) but when they released this, I started to explore their catalog and realized that they were here to save rock and roll. Saw them live once and they were just so amazing. Four extremely normal looking dudes who probably rarely get recognized in public but they bring the rock.

I bought this. Literally this. I ordered this guitar through Trogly's program and the review is of the guitar now in my possession. I am absolutely head-over-heels about this guitar. I don't remember the last time I loved a new guitar as much as I love this thing. It growls, it bites and it cleans up really nice.

• Like 1

anyone here using an amp/effects modeler?   Really kinda digging on the Hotone Ampero per videos on Youtube - anyone using one I should check out?    Requirements include aux in & headphones out.... obviously some good overdrive.... would prefer an autowah/envelope filter....

whatcha got?

47 minutes ago, pfife said:

anyone here using an amp/effects modeler?   Really kinda digging on the Hotone Ampero per videos on Youtube - anyone using one I should check out?    Requirements include aux in & headphones out.... obviously some good overdrive.... would prefer an autowah/envelope filter....

whatcha got?

I use the Line 6 HD500x. I have created a few different models that I really like using the tutorial from the guy in the video below. And yes, I do still live on metal.

• Thanks 1

Anyone familiar with Paul Gilbert would know that he probably laughed harder at this than anyone else watching it.

So based on the Rick Beato rig rundown video, I ordered these pickups that Rick has in that Les Paul. They live up. I a/b'd them with my Pearly Gates and they blew them away. If you're looking for the best humbuckers you can buy, Scott Sheldon makes them.

Here is the Rick video:

Uh, yeah. That tone will do. It just doesn't get better than a marshall/LP combo and those pu's sounds incredible. 

• Like 1

FYI... Marc Maron's latest podcast was with GE Smith, famous to me as the former bandleader of the SNL band in the 80's and early 90's, but also well known in other lights... good guitar player.  Lots of talk about his history and influences and current work.

58 minutes ago, Oblong said:

FYI... Marc Maron's latest podcast was with GE Smith, famous to me as the former bandleader of the SNL band in the 80's and early 90's, but also well known in other lights... good guitar player.  Lots of talk about his history and influences and current work.

Not many people know this, but off stage he goes by Willem Dafoe. 

• Haha 1

7 minutes ago, Yoda said:

Not many people know this, but off stage he goes by Willem Dafoe. 

Good one.

I learned that he's half lebanese and his family's original name was Haddad, which in Arabic is blacksmith.  So the legend is his ancestor was at Ellis Island and was asked "Do you want to be black or smith?"

Haddad is one of the most common names here in Dearborn, along with a variation of Bazzy.

Interestingly enough I watched some youtube videos with him a few weeks ago and back in the day a lot of greats would sit in with the SNL band, often undetected.  Clapton, EVH, some old blues guys.... if they were in town he'd call them up and they were happy to, especially because he had a very rare guitar that he would let them play.

55 minutes ago, Oblong said:

Good one.

I learned that he's half lebanese and his family's original name was Haddad, which in Arabic is blacksmith.  So the legend is his ancestor was at Ellis Island and was asked "Do you want to be black or smith?"

Haddad is one of the most common names here in Dearborn, along with a variation of Bazzy.

Interestingly enough I watched some youtube videos with him a few weeks ago and back in the day a lot of greats would sit in with the SNL band, often undetected.  Clapton, EVH, some old blues guys.... if they were in town he'd call them up and they were happy to, especially because he had a very rare guitar that he would let them play.

That's great. The fraternity of guitarists have some of the greatest stories known to man. There should be an entire series of them on Netflix. 

I a/b'd the Mission PAF vs my former favorite pickup the Pearly Gates. The Mission PAF has that extra bite and a little je ne sais quoi and so they win. I've ordered a set for the black Lester featured in the video as well as a set of P90's for my Epi Special.

Hey guys, this is the new musical project that I've been involved with.  Sort of a garage rock kind of deal. Hope you guys dig it.

• Like 2

Pretty great band name! Nice job man. Guitar I assume? 

6 hours ago, Zakk_Wylde said:

Hey guys, this is the new musical project that I've been involved with.  Sort of a garage rock kind of deal. Hope you guys dig it.

Reminds me of Black Box Revelation which is good. Sy Borg on drums?

11 hours ago, Yoda said:

Pretty great band name! Nice job man. Guitar I assume? 

Yup it's a two piece. I'm on guitar and vocals.  I've got a female drummer named Renee.  Totally a White Stripes kind of band arrangement. I overlaid a bass track and additional guitar, but when we play live it's just the two of us, so I have to come up with some creative arrangements to fill up the sound spectrum.

Thanks for listening!