Corky

Hey Guitar Guys!

Clapton is the most overrated guitarist in the history of guitar. He's a vanilla player at best and he evokes zero passion from my perspective.

I have never played the guitar and probably will never attempt it.  I have never been formally trained in music, and I do not doubt my tastes in music would be considered pedestrian and pedantic by those in / knowledgeable about the craft.

That understood, this is one of my favorite threads on the board and appreciate the discussion.

2 hours ago, Biff Mayhem said:

Clapton is the most overrated guitarist in the history of guitar. He's a vanilla player at best and he evokes zero passion from my perspective.

Yup. I think his feel for playing a melody is pretty great. But that's about it. And Gilmour was better at that. 

47 minutes ago, Mr. Bigglesworth said:

I have never played the guitar and probably will never attempt it.  I have never been formally trained in music, and I do not doubt my tastes in music would be considered pedestrian and pedantic by those in / knowledgeable about the craft.

That understood, this is one of my favorite threads on the board and appreciate the discussion.

I concur.... I love hearing people talk shop about something I'm interested in.

1 hour ago, Yoda said:

Yup. I think his feel for playing a melody is pretty great. But that's about it. And Gilmour was better at that. 

Gilmore is the master. As said earlier, he can do more with very few notes in 12 bars than a Yngwie can do with 300 in the same 12 bars.

I love Gilmour too.  I prefer Jerry's 300 notes per 12 bars though :D

On a side note.... I usually never try to learn songs that exist already.   But I've been playing with some dudes and we're doing some covers.  I just learned Hollywood Nights by Seger.... it's super easy.... I mean, ridiculously easy [E-A-D].... but I feel like 36 times cooler now that I can play that song

When I saw this tweet I thought of this thread....

• Like 1

Little excerpt from my church's live feed. I've linked directly to the part where I "play to the song" I'm playing my 59 for this one. No, watching this video will not suddenly force you to convert.... :)

He could feel Jesus. Clearly you had the presence cranked. *ducks*

Tasteful solo though. Too bad they had it mixed pretty low but it sounded nice. 

• Haha 1

Anyone familiar with Samantha Fish?  She was here over the weekend but tickets sold out before I could get around to it... easy on the eyes too.   I mean who am I kidding... that's why I follow her.  I have no idea if she's any good.

Can confirm her easiness on the eyes. Though she kind of has that Emma Stone, fish head look. But I'm also kind of into that. The heels seemed pretty weird to me. 

She's a fine guitar player. All basic blues licks but she played it quite well! Prob shouldn't have switched pickups but that's just me! I'd watch more of her. 

edit: I swear on my life I didn't know her last name was fish. That's funny. 

• Like 1

She might be classified as what we'd call "Poker hot".....

Meaning in a room full of cute girls she won't stand out.  But put her in there with a bunch of dudes and the standards change a little.

I suspect there's some grading on a curve.  She does the festival circuit and the place she was at over the weekend is just a bar.  Warrant was there not long ago... and Jimmy Vaughan.  That kind of thing.

Damn. I'd have gone to see Warrant. I live near LA. I should probably look out for bands like that. It'd be fun. Maybe. 

27 minutes ago, Yoda said:

Damn. I'd have gone to see Warrant. I live near LA. I should probably look out for bands like that. It'd be fun. Maybe. 

Say what you will about them, Uncle Tom's Cabin is a great song. 

8 minutes ago, Oblong said:

now that i think about it.... might have been Winger.

"Let's call Stuart".

Kip Winger was the bassist in Alice Cooper's band. Winger was an extremely talented band that was hampered by their biggest hit, which is a pedo anthem, and Kip's prettiness. 

Winger, great stuff, their band was very good technically. Now he's out winning Grammy's for his classical stuff. One of the big 80's bands, I had one of their CD's I played through the high school parking lot for sure.

8 hours ago, Biff Mayhem said:

Kip Winger was the bassist in Alice Cooper's band. Winger was an extremely talented band that was hampered by their biggest hit, which is a pedo anthem, and Kip's prettiness. 

But she's old enough for me!

On 3/18/2019 at 8:42 AM, Biff Mayhem said:

Little excerpt from my church's live feed. I've linked directly to the part where I "play to the song" I'm playing my 59 for this one. No, watching this video will not suddenly force you to convert.... :)

Had me at the McPherson up front.

1 hour ago, Oblong said:

I've seen Billy twice in the last 3 months and saw Marcus last summer.  These guys are the future.

You better have a great voice if you're gonna cover the zombies. Which he does. 

The guitars are out of tune but whatever. They play them beautifully! 

• Like 1

Billy got his start with death metal... then his step dad got him into bluegrass and he realized it's kind of the same thing... at least that's what he said.