Corky

Hey Guitar Guys!

That is truly a sweet sweet guitar. So, I'm thinkin you might be pickin this baby up soon!

It's a bit pricey for me.

Dude, I drive a Dodge. :ponder:

thought i'd resurrect this old thread to pass along a deal on a guitar. god knows you guys can never have enough of them, and this one is priced like it's a Guitar Hero plastic guitar. Note-it is refurbished.

PW580_3_normal.jpg?1270589547

Description

Westerberg and First Act got together to design a signature rock guitar, the PW580. Westerberg describes it as “lean, clean, and mean…just like rock ‘n’ roll ought to be.”

The story goes that Westerberg was on tour somewhere in the middle of America, and he stopped into a mass retailer to buy shaving cream, and bought a First Act crimson ME501 electric guitar on impulse, right off the shelf. He debuted the guitar onstage that night, and quickly brought it into heavy onstage rotation for the rest of the tour.

When First Act heard about it, they invited Westerberg to design a guitar with them. So they put their heads together and came up with the PW580 – it’s a killer electric with a rock and roll soul.

Westerberg describes his vision for the PW580: “…something not too heavy, that I could play quietly or full volume. It has a single pickup, and it sort of snarls. It’s lean, clean, and mean, and it doesn’t have that big, overdriven, fuzzy sound. You can get that with an amp, but the guitar itself doesn’t put it out, and that’s what I was looking for. There’s a definite old-school thing–it belongs in a garage. It probably sounds best in a garage playing surf music or something like that.

This product is refurbished.

Features

NECK:

* Profile: C shape

* Wood: Maple

* Head stock: First Act Pompadour with white binding.

FRETBOARD:

* Wood: Rosewood

* Inlays: Dot Inlay

* Binding: White

BODY:

* Shape: Kei

* Wood: Solid poplar

* Binding: White

HARDWARE:

* Color: Chrome

* Machine Heads: Die-cast sealed tuners, configured 3+3

* Pickguard: Custom plaid print

* Knobs: White speed dials

ELECTRONICS:

* Pickups: Alnico 5 magnet bridge pickup with First Act proprietary pickup cover

* Controls: 1 volume, 1 tone.

FINISH:

* Body: Gloss black

* Neck: Natural satin

* Other: Signature truss rod cover

Tanga - Paul Westerberg Signature Series Guitar by First Act

Old thread, but it seemed to fit.

So I have taken this winter to try and learn the guitar. I am encouraged after 3 months of daily effort and practicing. But man, that damn F chord and the B7 are so difficult to hit cleanly.

I have been strumming a version of Hotel California to learn to switch chords. I go between Am E G and D, I figured it was a good way to start. I notice improvement every day, but it gets so frustrating sometimes. I have to think so hard just to switch from G to D without screwing up...which I can't really do yet.

I know I am not good at guitar right now, but I couldn't be more excited about the progress after 3 months. I wish I would have picked this up as a kid. Feels so good to strum and actually hear a recognizable tune or song. Last night I started to learn Edmund Fitzgerald, that one didn't seem all that difficult for people who can switch chords with ease.

fwiw, I've been playing for about 20 years now..... self-taught. Looking back on it, I totally wish I had taken lessons. I'm picking up piano now, since September, and start a community learning Piano class on Monday. After that's over in March, I'm going to consider either piano at the local community college, or private lessons.

I recommend lessons, but choose wisely.;

Did you try playing the F as a bar chord? It might make it a bit easier if you mute the A and Low E strings.

When I first learned, F was a bummer....that and Gm.

I got this game for Christmas:

Rocksmith® 2014 - Learn to Play Guitar & Bass | Ubisoft® (US)

Still haven't opened it, but I hear good things and I'm looking forward to using it. I taught myself guitar in high school, but ended up picking up drums and bass for bands so I'm pretty terrible at guitar. I'm hoping this helps.

My nephew just picked that up. It's pretty nifty.

Are you learning on an electric or acoustic?

I am learning on acoustic. I was told this was the best route because you have to push down harder on the strings, which is a good learning tool.

I haven't taken any lessons yet. I have heard lots about rocksmith, thought about giving that a try. At this point I have only learned from watching youtube videos.

Did you try playing the F as a bar chord? It might make it a bit easier if you mute the A and Low E strings.

When I first learned, F was a bummer....that and Gm.

I have been trying to use bar chords, but I struggle with those a bit too. I am such a novice at this point, but I can see progression.

And yeah, F has been a bummer.

I am learning on acoustic. I was told this was the best route because you have to push down harder on the strings, which is a good learning tool.

I haven't taken any lessons yet. I have heard lots about rocksmith, thought about giving that a try. At this point I have only learned from watching youtube videos.

I agree with the person that told you to learn on acoustic, for the exact reason stated. But its more difficult, so sometimes it can be more discouraging, and honestly, painful.

I think the strength of lessons, as long as you get a good teacher, is that they structure what you learn in an efficient manner, as well as teaching you how to practice right. This is totally personal opinion, so take it for what it's worth.... I wouldn't go solely with a "learning songs" approach... I really regret not learning scales and some music theory much earlier on.

When I was younger, there was a proliferation of "teachers" that were basically people that would have you bring in somethign you wanted to learn, then they'd show you how to do it. I'd avoid that, if you decide to go lessons route

again, just personal opinion, I wouldn't be surprised if people disagree.

There is a lot of mindless repetition to playing any instrument - really you have to keep doing things until they become muscle memory. Then your foundation is a little higher, and you commit more to muscle memory.

I'd also get a metronome. I have an app for one on my phone that works well and is free

There is a lot of mindless repetition to playing any instrument - really you have to keep doing things until they become muscle memory. Then your foundation is a little higher, and you commit more to muscle memory.

This. Truth!

thanks man!

I've actually been thinking about this a lot lately because I'm largely putting down the guitar and picking up the piano, so I'm trying not to repeat what I thought were mistakes I made way back when.

I think the main reason I'm so pro-lessons nowadays is b/c I saw a friend go from thinking I was a much better guitarist than him, into lessons, to touring the world in less than 5 years. He had a good foundation going in, but he got the right teacher to really focus him, and he started killing it.

I agree with the person that told you to learn on acoustic, for the exact reason stated. But its more difficult, so sometimes it can be more discouraging, and honestly, painful.

I think the strength of lessons, as long as you get a good teacher, is that they structure what you learn in an efficient manner, as well as teaching you how to practice right. This is totally personal opinion, so take it for what it's worth.... I wouldn't go solely with a "learning songs" approach... I really regret not learning scales and some music theory much earlier on.

When I was younger, there was a proliferation of "teachers" that were basically people that would have you bring in somethign you wanted to learn, then they'd show you how to do it. I'd avoid that, if you decide to go lessons route

again, just personal opinion, I wouldn't be surprised if people disagree.

Appreciate the advice. I like the idea of learning the musical theory. Some of the youtube videos go way over my head with the language. I have no music background at all, I was a little discouraged starting an instrument with no prior knowledge, but now I am getting addicted. And you're right about painful, some nights I just have to stop playing because the tips of my fingers hurt. I know if I am playing an A chord a lot that my pointer finger gets real sore pretty quick.

Thanks for the feedback.

tangent....

come to find out, being in a mid-level band that tours the world isn't all its cracked up to be. He ended up quitting that band when they were paying him about $30k/year (couldn't really do another job as you were gone alot), but then also did not allow him to play, at all, on the record they recorded - in order to keep him from getting royalties from it. It was a cutthroat business... with people that were at least friends?!

But he got to see the entire world, on someone else's dime - that's rad.

tangent....

come to find out, being in a mid-level band that tours the world isn't all its cracked up to be. He ended up quitting that band when they were paying him about $30k/year (couldn't really do another job as you were gone alot), but then also did not allow him to play, at all, on the record they recorded - in order to keep him from getting royalties from it. It was a cutthroat business... with people that were at least friends?!

But he got to see the entire world, on someone else's dime - that's rad.

I have a buddy who plays in Uncle Cracker's band, Tantric as well as a couple of his own personal projects/bands. Dude is mega-talented and has honed quite a career for himself. I don't know what kind of cash he makes but he has had endorsements etc. and is never hungry so I know he's doing very well.

I have a buddy who plays in Uncle Cracker's band, Tantric as well as a couple of his own personal projects/bands. Dude is mega-talented and has honed quite a career for himself. I don't know what kind of cash he makes but he has had endorsements etc. and is never hungry so I know he's doing very well.

nice, I'd love to be able to do that.

The guy I know definitely wasn't at that level. Maybe talent-wise, who knows, but revenue wise, no. This was a niche tech metal band. In detroit they were playing at St Andrew's hall or the Majestic Theater, later on.

Kenny (dk his last name) who plays guitar for kid rock used to work at a music store in ann arbor, dude was a mega burnout, but holy crap he could play guitar. He was so great.

I'd like to figure out how you become one of the dudes in the background, never any spotlight, for a legend. Never do anything that difficult, but just rock out every night w/ a legend. Like Bob Dylan.