thewave84

DE Cory Smith, two other NFLers, Missing in Gulf Coast

Scary ...

REPORT: Lions Player Missing in Gulf Coast

Last Update: 11:29 am

WXYZ's sister station in Tampa, FL reports the Coast Guard is in search of a fishing boat 50 miles off the coast of Clearwater, FL. Reportedly, the boat is carrying three NFL players, including one who plays for the Detroit Lions.

The 21-foot boat apparently left Clearwater Pass on Saturday with four people aboard and likely encountered choppy conditions in the Gulf of Mexico.

http://www.wxyz.com/news/story/REPORT-Lions-Player-Missing-in-Gulf-Coast/GJEJFkun8k2Exc3CISk5Tg.cspx

Wow! the weather today does not make it good for a search..hopefully everything is OK..

I hope that they are all safe. I must admit, my first thought, was that it's probably Calvin Johnson. That would be just the Lions' luck(not that losing anybody isn't awful).

I hope that they are all safe. I must admit, my first thought, was that it's probably Calvin Johnson. That would be just the Lions' luck(not that losing anybody isn't awful).

Yeah its bad. I also thought that... :depress:

Man... this is effed up! They have been gone for over 24hrs.

They just announced that the Lions player is DE Corey Smith.

No time to make any jokes. I hope all is alright. And the players are found.

I agree-I didn't mean it as a joke, it was just my first thought. I pray that everyone is alright.

I agree-I didn't mean it as a joke, it was just my first thought. I pray that everyone is alright.

wasnt singling anyone out, just met as a whole, I know we like to make jokes here.

Terrible, terrible news. Let's all hope for the best that all four are rescued safely.

http://www.theledger.com/article/20090301/NEWS/903010287/1410?Title=2-Ex-Bucs-May-Be-Missing-in-Gulf

2 Ex-Bucs May Be Missing in Gulf

BAY NEWS 9 & THE LEDGER

Published: Sunday, March 1, 2009 at 12:04 p.m.

Last Modified: Sunday, March 1, 2009 at 12:56 p.m.

The Coast Guard is searching for a missing fishing boat in the Gulf of Mexico that may have NFL players aboard, Bay News 9 reported.

According to officials, the 21-foot fishing boat left from a boat ramp in Clearwater Pass Saturday about 6:30 am with four people on board.

According to one official, former Buccaneers Marquis Cooper and Corey Smith, Nick Skyler, and a possible fourth person did not return from their fishing trip as expected.

Smith, 29, has played the last three seasons with the Detroit Lions. He played with the Buccaneers from 2002 to 2004. The 6-foot-2, 250-pound defensive end played for North Carolina State in College.

Cooper, 27, spent the 2008 season with the Oakland Raiders. He was with the Bucs in 2004 and 2005. The 6-foot-3, 230-pound linebacker was the Bucs' third-round draft pick in 2004. He played for the University of Washington.

The boat, which was about 50 miles out in the Gulf, was supposed to return Saturday evening. The boat was reported missing at about 1:30 a.m. Sunday.

Officials said searching the water Sunday was difficult due to the rain and wind moving through the Bay area. The Coast is using two boats, a plane and a helicopter in the search, which is being conducted over an area of 750 square miles.

All rights reserved. This copyrighted material may not be re-published without permission. Links are encouraged.

Its not looking good. With the weather and fact that it has been over 24 hours does not bode well. Im not writing anyone off and hope that they are all ok but its really not looking up.

For what it's worth, Smith is a free agent. I wonder why he was out to sea at this time.

I think he was fishing.

I know that, but this is the time you'd think he'd be hitting the pavement, although he'd be a 2nd wave type of guy. You'd think his agent would have kept him close to the vest.

I know that, but this is the time you'd think he'd be hitting the pavement, although he'd be a 2nd wave type of guy. You'd think his agent would have kept him close to the vest.

Agents do all the leg work and if it was just a day fishing trip its not like he was going to miss anything.

They were in a 21 foot boat and they ended up in weather that was producing 7+ foot waves. Screw that. I have an 18.5 foot boat and 4 footers are really rough, 7+ footers would be a nightmare. Doesnt sound good but hopefully they are safe.

Seven foot waves? Start praying for their families. Having lived in the Straits area almost my whole life, I know seven footers and can tell you they had pretty much zero chance. How awful.

I would never, ever, go 50 miles out in a 21 foot vessel. No freaking way.