slim pickens

Lions tried to trade for Jay Cutler.....

he has a couple years to develop and what about diabetes?

if we spend the #1 pick on stafford and he turns out as good as cutler, I would say its a success.

True. I wonder what they were offering for him. I don't really understand a lot of this free agency stuff, so if that was already known, I didn't get it. :-P

he has a couple years to develop and what about diabetes?

if we spend the #1 pick on stafford and he turns out as good as cutler, I would say its a success.

And if he fails its a 40 million dollar failure.

If we can get Cutler for #20 and an additional pick, I'd do it in a heartbeat.

IMO, Cutler is a good, but not great QB. He needs a team around him to make up for his mistakes.

I'd rank Cutler ahead of Romo and Eli Manning for sure, but I'm not sold on him being in the top 10 area.

Who are the 10 qb ahead of Cutler that push him out of being a top 10 qb?

The 15th best qb is just league average. Do you think Jay is a league average qb?

The Lions probably didn't offer Culpepper because if they did, Denver would have traded Cutler in a heartbeat and they may have thrown in a first round pick too.

Who are the 10 qb ahead of Cutler that push him out of being a top 10 qb?

The 15th best qb is just league average. Do you think Jay is a league average qb?

Yes I do. He's good enough to start and win games but he's nothing too special.

He's in the Carson Palmer, Aaron Rodgers and Chad Pennington range IMO.

Peyton Manning, Rivers, and Brees are definitely better than Cutler. Past those three (toss in Tom Brady assuming he comes back healthy) and I think it is very debatable.

McNabb, Palmer, Rodgers, Pennington, CUTLER and maybe Matt Ryan/Big Ben/Warner come after those top guys. Cutler is an above-average QB who could vault into the truly elite.

I think the best way to approach a rating is to group players. Cutler is in the second tier, below P. Manning/Brees/Rivers/Brady but still a great player.

For a list of QBs: http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/statistics?stat=pass&sort=td&league=nfl&season=2&year=2008

http://www.denverpost.com/breakingnews/ci_11809351

Even without serious competition from a backup, the Broncos had themselves a quarterback controversy Friday.

Jay Cutler, the Broncos' starting quarterback, the franchise, the one player who carried all hope for a greater future, believes his days with the team are numbered — even after a proposed deal that would have sent him to Tampa Bay and Matt Cassel to Denver never materialized.

"My understanding at this point is they're trying to trade me," Cutler said this afternoon. "We'll see where I end up at. I liked it here, I liked playing with these guys but obviously they're not going to let me have that opportunity."

The deal had Tampa Bay trying to acquire Cutler in exchange for a first-round draft pick. In turn, the Broncos would have traded the first-round draft pick to New England in exchange for quarterback Matt Cassel. McDaniels was the Patriots' offensive coordinator last season when he helped guide Cassel, a career-long backup, to an 11-5 record and 89.4 passer rating that ranked 10th in the league.

It may be important to note, Tampa Bay initiated the deal. And they weren't the only team that inquired about acquiring Cutler.

"He's not the only person in the last few days we've received calls on," McDaniels said. "We've received trade calls on a number of players, which is not uncommon this time of the year. I also think the sensitivity of the other trade that was occurring, with my relationship with New England and the whole Cassel thing, I think that stirred the pot even more."

And then McDaniels made a point of emphasis: "We don't want to trade Jay. We never did. He's our quarterback. We're excited about this season. And excited about what we're doing here in free agency to improve our team."

Cassel was instead traded Saturday to the Kansas City Chiefs in exchange for the No. 34 overall pick in the upcoming draft.

Nevertheless, Cutler was shaken his team entertained moving him, and doesn't believe such a possibility is dead. "I'm upset. I mean I'm really shocked at this point," he said. "I could see why they want Cassel. I don't know if they think I can't run the system or I don't have the skills for it. I just don't get it. Or if they don't think they can sign me with my next contract. I just don't know what it is. I've heard I'm still on the trading block."

Cutler has three years left on the six-year contract he signed prior to his rookie season. He said Broncos officials denied they were trying to him in a conversation with his agent Bus Cook. Cutler added that after the proposed deal spread through the Internet, the team cut off communication with Cook.

Had the proposed trade gone through, it would have come as a surprise to most followers of the team. Cutler is a first-round talent. He was picked No. 11 overall in the 2006 draft and undoubtedly would have gone higher if the league re-did that draft today. Cassel, meanwhile, did not start one game at quarterback at USC and never started in the NFL until this, his fourth season.

Granted, he played behind Carson Palmer and Matt Leinart at USC and Tom Brady at New England. But Cassel doesn't have the arm strength or big-play capability of Cutler, whose 4,526 yards ranked behind only Drew Brees and Kurt Warner among NFL quarterbacks last season.

If Cutler is not traded, and he stays with the Broncos, can his situation be mended? Cutler took a long pause before answering.

"Anything can be mended," he said. "I'll always play with the guys we've got. I love playing for those guys. Obviously, Josh and I's relationship has taken a few steps backward. I don't play for the coaches anyway, I play for teammates. As long as we keep the guys we've got I'll go out there and play. I love those guys."

Cutler said he had spoken with teammates Brandon Marshall, Brandon Stokley, Tony Scheffler and Casey Wiegmann, among others, about his trade.

"I know they love playing for me and I love playing for them," Cutler said. "There's going to be a lot of problems if they try to trade me. Well, they've already tried to trade me, but if they trade me for sure."

I don't like this statement...

I don't play for the coaches anyway, I play for teammates.

He plays for the team, which incorperates everyone.

Huh, go figure. An offensive minded coach takes over a team with a gunslinger QB (strong arm, but extremely risk taking) and tries to get rid of him for more of a game manager. Shocker.

I honestly wouldn't give up crap for him because the most we'd ever do with him is make the playoffs. QB's like him don't win Super Bowls in this day and age. Until he learns when to throw it away and try to muscle it in there, he'll never be elite.

Let's not forget that this team didn't win a game last season. I would think we would try to get a QB that could really get us out of this toilet we're in. If we get to the playoffs...just GET to the playoffs...I'd be happy. I won't complain a bit if we don't "win the Super Bowl" at this point. I would just rather not be the laughingstock of the NFL.

I say take Cutler if we can get him.

Yes I do. He's good enough to start and win games but he's nothing too special.

He's in the Carson Palmer, Aaron Rodgers and Chad Pennington range IMO.

Please list the 10 qb better than Jay.

I have to agree with you! Being a Lions fan since the early 70's.... I would ask, "Since the early 70's, what QB that the Lions have had do you like better than Jay Cutler?"

Per rotoworld from Profootballtalk.com-

A source with knowledge of the situation tells Profootballtalk.com that Jay Cutler was at one point as good as "gone" during three-team trade talks that ultimately fell through Saturday.

It appears Josh McDaniels wanted Matt Cassel bad and either the Lions or Bucs were ready to fork over a first-round pick plus for Cutler. Cutler's agent, Bus Cook, says the Broncos "just told me that only inquiries were being made." "Jay Cutler is pissed, no doubt about it," Cook added. "I wouldn't blame him. Cutler is the best young quarterback in the entire league."

Sounds like we came so close and were set to give up a first rounder for him. The Broncos also could trade TE Tony Scheffler. Im seeing a posible match up for a trade here. We need a tight end too.

I'd trade the second round pick for Cutler in a second. I'd probably trade the #20 pick for him.

maybe the broncos want stafford. the #1 for cutler, the broncos #1 and...

I would do it straight up or for the 2nd #1.

maybe the broncos want stafford. the #1 for cutler, the broncos #1 and...

I would do it straight up or for the 2nd #1.

That would be such a stupid move for Denver. If the Lions want Cutler, they should trade the number 1 pick - Denver shouldn't even bother listening to anything less than a straight up 1 for Cutler.

It will be interesting to note if Denver will be attending the Pro day at UGA. They probably will to look at Moreno.

How about #1 overall, and a 3rd for Cutler and #12. Personally I'd trade #1 overall for Cutler straight up if it came to that, I'd rather have Cutler then a guy who's peak is probably Cutler in 3 years.

Id like to see if we can maybe also get Schffler as well from Denver but Cutler is the one id really really love to get.

I am surprised Josh McDaniels is souring on Cutler for Cutler to be in trade rumors. I figure Cutler would do well under McDaniels.

Huh, go figure. An offensive minded coach takes over a team with a gunslinger QB (strong arm, but extremely risk taking) and tries to get rid of him for more of a game manager. Shocker.

I honestly wouldn't give up crap for him because the most we'd ever do with him is make the playoffs. QB's like him don't win Super Bowls in this day and age. Until he learns when to throw it away and try to muscle it in there, he'll never be elite.

Agreed. I might give up the 20th if he changes his mentality.

But Gunslingers don't win in todays NFL.

Agreed. I might give up the 20th if he changes his mentality.

But Gunslingers don't win in todays NFL.

Not this again...just keep the "gunslingers don't win" to yourself. He's proven to be successful in this league. Top 5 or 6

These are ten of the ones I'd rather have leading my team- because in todays NFL, being a smart efficient leader makes a good QB.

Tom Brady

Peyton

Phil Rivers

Big Ben

Kurt Warner

Carson Palmer

David Garrard

Kerry Collins

Donovan McNabb

The last spot goes to one of these guys- I believe they're slightly better QBs, not more talented, but better NFL QBs-

Matt Ryan

Kyle Orton

Aaron Rodgers

Chad Pennington

Yes, that seems a little farfetched but Cutler makes a good deal of throws he shouldnt- that's a no-no for NFL QBs.