slim pickens

Lions tried to trade for Jay Cutler.....

http://www.mlive.com/lions/index.ssf/2009/02/report_lions_tried_to_trade_fo.html

Report: Lions tried to trade for Denver's Jay Cutler

by Tom Kowalski

Saturday February 28, 2009, 3:39 PM

In a day that is getting crazier by the minute, the Detroit Lions reportedly tried to trade for Denver Broncos quarterback Jay Cutler. That's interesting enough but what gives the story a real charge is that the Lions were using Matt Cassel as trade bait.

The New England Patriots traded Cassel to the Kansas City Chiefs today, but there were reports at the time that there was a "mystery team'' trying to get involved at the last minute. Then Adam Schefter of NFL.com reported that the Lions and Broncos were involved in trade talks and the Lions were apparently hoping to acquire Cassel and then ship him to Denver in exchange for Cutler.

This surely would have involved at least one if not both of the first round picks. Maybe #1 and #33. It would not have been cheap.

Still don't think the Bronco's would have been interested in trading Cutler for Cassel straight up, but who knows......

McDaniels might have wanted the guy he worked with in New England. Im not sure this would of costed us both first round picks but its hard to say since it would of been a three team trade.

If we got Cutler Id considerd the offseason a huge success.

I really don't think we would have been able to give enough up for either.

KC gave up the 3rd pick in the 2nd round, for both Cassell and Vrabel, so how could our 1st pick in the second round not have been enough?

KC gave up the 3rd pick in the 2nd round, for both Cassell and Vrabel, so how could our 1st pick in the second round not have been enough?

2nd pick, #34 overall.

http://cbs4denver.com/broncos/broncos.cutler.nfl.2.946829.html

Broncos Shopping Jay Cutler

DenverBroncos.com

Blockbuster breaking news concerning the Denver Broncos.

Broncos Insider Vic Lombardi has learned the Broncos are actively trying to shop Pro Bowl quarterback Jay Cutler. Lombardi spoke to Cutler Sunday morning.

"I've heard the rumors," Cutler said. "I know what they're trying to do. Even though I love Denver and I'd love to remain a Bronco, I know how this business works. If they want me to play somewhere else, so be it."

The Broncos had a three-way deal in the works late last night with the Patriots and Buccaneers. The proposed trade would've sent Cutler to Tampa and Matt Cassel to Denver. That deal fell apart when Cassel was traded to the Chiefs earlier Sunday morning.

Now the Broncos are turning to other teams in an effort to trade Cutler, possibly the Detroit Lions.

CBS4 has also learned tight end Tony Scheffler has also been mentioned in trade talks.

CBS4's Gary Miller spoke with Broncos GM Brian Xanders Saturday afternoon. Xanders denied any plans to trade Cutler, saying "We are not trying to trade Jay Cutler. We will not trade Jay Cutler. He's a Pro Bowl Quarterback." He went on to say, "you can ask Josh McDaniels, and he'll tell you the same thing." Miller did approach McDaniels, who said he was not going to answer any questions. However, Cutler confirmed to CBS4 that he is aware that trade talks have taken place.

id give up pick 33 for cutler along with something else. Id probably even give up 20 for Cutler.

Yep, I'd for sure give up #20. Maybe #20 and the third as well.

IMO, Cutler is a good, but not great QB. He needs a team around him to make up for his mistakes.

I'd rank Cutler ahead of Romo and Eli Manning for sure, but I'm not sold on him being in the top 10 area.

IMO, Cutler is a good, but not great QB. He needs a team around him to make up for his mistakes.

I'd rank Cutler ahead of Romo and Manning for sure, but I'm not sold on him being in the top 10 area.

True, but Id rather have him than Stafford and let us draft Curry or an OL at 1 overall.

I'd probably give up #1 for Cutler.

With the way it looks as though the Broncos are actually trying to trade him though, #20 or #33 could do it. I'd definitely give up #20 for him, throw in a later pick as well.

Roy Williams for Jay Cutler? Yes, please. That's basically what it would amount to if we traded #20. #33 would just be a steal.

Anyway, I'm sure I'm getting ahead of myself and nothing will probably happen. This would be my dream trade, though.

I'd rank Cutler ahead of Romo and Eli Manning for sure, but I'm not sold on him being in the top 10 area.

He had a good season this year with not a whole lot of talent around him. I think he's on the cusp of a top-10 spot and he's young enough that he's going to continue to improve. Not to mention, he's going to be throwing to Calvin Johnson. That would be a deadly combo, IMO.

True, but Id rather have him than Stafford and let us draft Curry or an OL at 1 overall.

Agreed... But I wouldn't be comfortable trading him for the first overall- unless Denver sweetened the pot with a third rounder...

He had a good season this year with not a whole lot of talent around him. I think he's on the cusp of a top-10 spot and he's young enough that he's going to continue to improve. Not to mention, he's going to be throwing to Calvin Johnson. That would be a deadly combo, IMO.

If he can lose the gunslinger mentality, he's a top ten QB.

Imo he's not a Pure gunslinger, he can be a smart gamemanager, so its easier than one might think.

If he can lose the gunslinger mentality, he's a top ten QB.

Imo he's not a Pure gunslinger, he can be a smart gamemanager, so its easier than one might think.

I'm totally in the dark with this "gunslinger" mentality.

I would LOVE to have Cutler. I'd say he's worth our #1 pick.

No way. He's got a couple of years in the league, and he has diabetes. Talk about risk?

I'm totally in the dark with this "gunslinger" mentality.

I think he makes a decent amount of throws that he shouldnt- granted, he's not Brett Favre, but he still makes a few questionable throws- if he can stop that, I believe he can be a top ten QB.

No way. He's got a couple of years in the league, and he has diabetes. Talk about risk?

Type 2 diabetes, which is totally manageable. Also, I was thinking more along the lines of trading #1 for Cutler and picks, 2nd and 3rd rounders or something similar. We get our qb of the future who would also be our qb now, and we add more younger players to our team. Trading away our extra picks for one player isn't something we really ought to be doing this offseason.

Just thinking out loud, but I wonder if this is an indication that they might not really be totally interested in Stafford.

Just thinking out loud, but I wonder if this is an indication that they might not really be totally interested in Stafford.

I think its more of an indication of their thoughts on Dante Culpepper.

I love Stafford, but if I had the chance to get Cutler and still have the number 1 pick in the draft, I would do it.