AlKalineIsGod

What team do you least want the Wings to open the playoffs with?

I would like the Wings to get a bye in the first round so they can atleast make it to the second round. They've been playing terrible the last month. Hopefully they can get over it.

Nashville has been a pain, but we've handled the Ducks and won the season series 3-1.

The Ducks have been a much different, much better team the last month.

The Ducks have been a much different, much better team the last month.

For sure. With guys like Pronger, Niedermayer, Selanne, Ryan, Perry, and Getzlaf, it shouldn't be surprise that they've surged near the end. True, the first three names on that list are past their prime, but still...

If the Ducks win out against Dallas and Phoenix, they won't drop down to 8th. They could move up to 6th in that case if Columbus stumbled. I'm pulling for Blues-Wings, so need the Blues to win their final two and the Ducks drop a point somewhere.

If its going to be Anaheim or St. Louis, I have to prefer STL. I just hope the Wings are ready in either case. I have some concerns, but I'll let things play out.

Logic says the Ducks. Which is why I say the Blue Jackets - the expert's underdog.

I think our biggest threat in the playoffs this year is going to be our opponent's play against our 4th line. I like our 4th line's chances against an inexperienced team in the first round. If the Wings can neutralize that threat, I think they'll win 4 out of 7 24/7 365.

After that, the numbers get confusing. But in the first round, give me inexperience over crafty. And Mason over Giguere.

EDIT -- I think that the Blue Jackets pose a much bigger threat than the Blues of Predators in general.

Columbus clinches a playoff spot for the first time in their history, coming from behind to beat the Hawks in a shootout. This is good. The franchise has been well enough supported despite the team sucking since inception. Guys like Rick Nash need to be in the playoffs. Columbus joins Chicago and Vancouver as the 3rd new team in the West's playoffs compared to last year. St. Louis could be the 4th. Almost no chance now of the Wings playing Columbus in the 1st round - Jackets would need to lose their 2 games in regulation and the Ducks would need to win both of theirs.

Tonight's action: St. Louis won and has clinched a playoff berth; are in 7th for now. Columbus lost and have clinched a playoff berth but 6th is not clinched. Nashville lost and is out. Minnesota won and is still hanging on by a thread but an Anaheim point in either of its final 2 games eliminates the Wild. Anaheim can still finish anywhere from 6th to 9th and is ahead of Dallas 3-2 with 5 minutes left in the 3rd. Calgary lost and will likely end up 5th, unless Vancouver stumbles in its last game and coughs up 3rd. Chicago is going to be 4th for sure I believe.

Anaheim is in OT with Dallas. So Minnesota has been eliminated. Columbus, Anaheim and St.Louis will be 6-8 but we don't know in which order. If Anaheim doesn't win this OT, Columbus will clinch 6th.

Darn, Anaheim wins SO over Dallas. This may have been our best chance to get St.Louis. Anaheim was trailing 1-0 going into the 3rd shootout round but Getzlaf salvaged it for them and then they won in the next round.

Any of Columbus, Anaheim or St. Louis could still finish 7th and play the Wings. Columbus hosts Minnesota tomorrow and a point would clinch 6th. Anaheim is on the road to Phoenix tomorrow - to finish 6th they'd need to win and have Columbus lose in regulation; to clinch 7th they'd just need to win tomorrow. St. Louis in on the road to Colorado on Sunday and has to pick up at least one more point in that game than Anaheim does against Phoenix tomorrow.

I'd be ok with the Ducks because I may get to see a game - I don't know matchup wise. Vancouver I suppose, lots of distractions north of the border.

So, St. Louis gets #7 if they get more points than Anaheim out of their respective last games.

Columbus gets #7 if they lose in regulation and Anaheim wins.

Otherwise, Anaheim gets #7 (i.e, if they win and Columbus gets at least a point, or if they get the same or more points than St. Louis (although a win + and regulation loss for Columbus puts Anaheim in 6th.)

My take on the teams:

STL: close to the hottest team in league over last two months; dangeros if Kariya comes back and is good.

CMB: game-stealing goalie

ANA: Physical team on the other side of the continent.

I say to heck with it: we're 20+ points better than any of these .500 teams. I'd just as soon keep travel to a minimum and play CMB or STL.

So, St. Louis gets #7 if they get more points than Anaheim out of their respective last games.

Columbus gets #7 if they lose in regulation and Anaheim wins.

Otherwise, Anaheim gets #7 (i.e, if they win and Columbus gets at least a point, or if they get the same or more points than St. Louis (although a win + and regulation loss for Columbus puts Anaheim in 6th.)

Columbus loses tonight to Minnesota 6-3.

Anaheim trailing 4-2 to Phoenix after 2. If the Ducks come back to win, they're 6th and Columbus is 7th. If the Ducks lose in OT, Columbus gets 6th and St.Louis would need a win tomorrow to pass Anaheim into 7th. If the Ducks lose in regulation, Columbus gets 6th and St.Louis would at least an OT loss tomorrow to pass Anaheim into 7th.

CBJ losing is good, because now its a win-win with ANA as long as they dont lose in ot, they win they pass CBJ or they lose all STL needs to do is pickup a pt to pass them.

Man, if Anaheim was going to lose, I wish they'd have lost in regulation to make it easier for St. Louis. Colorado has been playing this final week tough and I can see a relaxed Blues team just tanking tomorrow. A Ducks win would have been perfect, even looking ahead to the 2nd round - Ducks could have knocked off Vancouver and met San Jose in the 2nd round, leaving the Chicago-Calgary winner for the Wings.

If St. Louis gets one or no points on Sunday, the Ducks will finish seventh and the Blues eighth. The Ducks have 91 points and 43 wins; if the Blues get 91 points with an overtime or shootout loss, they'll have 41 wins.

If STL gets two points, the Wings play CBJ. If they get one or none, the Wings play the Ducks.

If St. Louis gets one or no points on Sunday, the Ducks will finish seventh and the Blues eighth. The Ducks have 91 points and 43 wins; if the Blues get 91 points with an overtime or shootout loss, they'll have 41 wins.

If STL gets two points, the Wings play CBJ. If they get one or none, the Wings play the Ducks.

I think you made a typo, as a STL win would mean the Wings play the Blues. No chance anymore of playing CBJ in the first round.

A Vancouver paper had an interesting idea. Imagine if in the NHL the three division winners got to select, in order, their 1st round opponent. You could have a Sunday night playoff selection/preview show the last day of the regular season and hold the draft lottery at the same time, so the best and worst teams are involved. Probably most years the top three teams in each conference would choose the available team with the least number of points, because choosing the 6th place team even if you came 1st might give the 6th place team extra motivation. But when you factor in issues such as travel, and styles of play, and rivalries/marquees, a wildcard choice always would be possible. The author, Jeff Paterson, predicted Canadians would be glued to their seats for that show (I'd agree) and how it might generate even a tiny bit of attention in the U.S. as a nice table-setter for the playoffs coming up.

http://www.straight.com/article-213188/top-teams-should-pick-their-playoff-opponents?

I think you made a typo, as a STL win would mean the Wings play the Blues. No chance anymore of playing CBJ in the first round.

Actually, it was right the first time: If STL wins, they leapfrog Anaheim and tie CBJ with 92 points and 42 wins. STL took the season series from CBJ, so STL would get the 6 seed, and CBJ the seventh (and Anaheim, with 91 points, the eighth).

Team wise I think they are about even, give me Columbus because there will be a ton of Wings fans at the games and the travel is a lot better.