nd1377

Lions Free Agent Watch

I wouldn't mind Brooks or June. We'd have a better shot at June. He'd help give us some depth and force whatever SAM LB we'd get to play hard to beat him out. The only reason I think we'd have a better shot at June is because he'd cheaper (I imagine) and a Wolverine.

Cato June is a Tampa 2 LB. We don't play that anymore. His best days are also behind him and those occurred when he was playing weak side which is occupied by Ernie Sims.

Bucs cut Derrick Brooks, Cato June, Joey Galloway, Ike Hilliard and Warrick Dunn. Wonder if we look at any of them. All are older but might not be bad stop gaps at the right price.

Living in Tampa now, I can say this, "They all STINK!" No need to look in their direction for help. All old and blown out.

Cato June is a Tampa 2 LB. We don't play that anymore. His best days are also behind him and those occurred when he was playing weak side which is occupied by Ernie Sims.

I knew he was more of a Tampa 2 guy (Indy/Bucs). Wasn't sure how he'd fit into a traditional 4-3. Also, didn't know he was a WLB. Guess that doesn't make much sense then.

Lucas nixes deal to Detroit; could be cut

Posted: Adam Schefter | Adam Schefter | Tags: Carolina Panthers, Ken Lucas

The NFL's trading deadline begins Friday, though talks already have been in high gear.

The Panthers tried trading cornerback Ken Lucas to the Detroit Lions. Problem is, once the two sides were engaged in discussions, Lucas let it be known that he did not and would not play in Detroit. Thus, trade talks were abandoned even though some in the league thought the trade might go through.

The talks are an indication of what Carolina has in mind for Lucas, who is scheduled to make $5.6 million in base salary this season. If Carolina cuts Lucas this week, it will free up $2.375 million against its salary cap. For a team desperately searching for space, Lucas provides some of it.

Lucas nixes deal to Detroit; could be cut

Posted: Adam Schefter | Adam Schefter | Tags: Carolina Panthers, Ken Lucas

The NFL's trading deadline begins Friday, though talks already have been in high gear.

The Panthers tried trading cornerback Ken Lucas to the Detroit Lions. Problem is, once the two sides were engaged in discussions, Lucas let it be known that he did not and would not play in Detroit. Thus, trade talks were abandoned even though some in the league thought the trade might go through.

The talks are an indication of what Carolina has in mind for Lucas, who is scheduled to make $5.6 million in base salary this season. If Carolina cuts Lucas this week, it will free up $2.375 million against its salary cap. For a team desperately searching for space, Lucas provides some of it.

I suppose we should get used to these types of reports. Coming to the Lions is a tough sell...

http://www.mlive.com/lions/index.ssf/2009/02/lions_free_agency_the_notsocal.html

A previous report by Killer indicated that the Lions will move quickly but only pursue mid-level FA's... Should be an interesting few days here. I wonder who they'll target.

I also heard Tony Ortiz on 97.1 this morning say that the Lions might be looking at Rex Grossman... ugh. :depress: Thanks but no thanks to that one.

Bears QB Rex Grossman talks of free agency, Lions

BY NICHOLAS J. COTSONIKA • FREE PRESS SPORTS WRITER • FEBRUARY 26, 2009

Read Comments(18) RecommendPrint this pageE-mail this articleShare this article

Here’s an interesting name to throw into the Lions’ quarterback discussion: Rex Grossman.

We all know Grossman’s story in Chicago, how he went to the Super Bowl with the Bears, but was inconsistent, lost his job and was booed at Soldier Field.

Grossman is about to become a free agent at midnight tonight, and he mentioned the Lions in an interview Wednesday with Sirius NFL Radio, according to the Chicago Sun-Times. He spoke highly of wide receiver Calvin Johnson and offensive coordinator Scott Linehan.

“They’re not as bad as their record,” Grossman said. “They are a good team. I would love to be there.”

At this point, though, Grossman would love to be anywhere.

“Basically what I told my agent, the ceiling is I want to compete to start,” Grossman said. “And that is really what I want. But the floor is I want to have a good job. If that’s being a backup, that’s being a backup.

“I really want to compete to start. There are a few situations out there where I feel like they don’t have a solidified starter, and I’d love to get on one of those teams.”

Hmm. Wonder why he mentioned the Lions.

I'm not exactly sure by how much at this point but he's definitely a step up from Culpepper. [Remember DC cornbreaders, it's not 2004 anymore and the player you remember is just a fading memory that dissolves a little more each day]

I suppose we should get used to these types of reports. Coming to the Lions is a tough sell...

Thank God, the Lions need to hold onto their picks.

I was on NFL.com and they had the teams with the top 5 highest cap numbers as well as the lowest. I thought the Lions would be in that top 5 but were not. What is the Lions cap number?

If the Lions are going to trade for a corner, why not go for Lito Sheppard?

It sounds like they've inquired on everybody, but he's too pricey. Get one in FA or in the draft; or both.

I was on NFL.com and they had the teams with the top 5 highest cap numbers as well as the lowest. I thought the Lions would be in that top 5 but were not. What is the Lions cap number?

It's complicated but somewhere between $29 - $35M.

Netrat is the web authority on the Lions salary cap. Great site to bookmark.

Thank God, the Lions need to hold onto their picks.

Agreed...

However

http://www.mlive.com/lions/index.ssf/2009/02/source_lions_still_trying_to_s.html

"They're trying to trade for any and every cornerback,'' said a league source.

I don't like the sound of that quote. It screams of depseration... I hope they don't give up too much for a marginal player (per usual).

I don't like the sound of that quote. It screams of depseration... I hope they don't give up too much for a marginal player (per usual).

That would really, really suck. I know we need a corner and none of them were lights out at the combine so we're in an odd position considering we do need at least two or three CB's this offseason.

That would really, really suck. I know we need a corner and none of them were lights out at the combine so we're in an odd position considering we do need at least two or three CB's this offseason.

Maybe Leigh Bodden and Dre Bly?

I'm thinking with Malcolm Jenkins' poor combine, he may slip into the 2nd round. I'd see if I could trade for one, a strictly one player for one pick deal, & grab Jenkins with our first pick in the 2nd round.

I saw today that Jeff Saturday & Matt Birk are both FAs. I'd love one of them at Center & move Raiola to G. Also, Cato June cut by the Bucs. How would he fit in our new defense? Still only 29.

Cato June is a Tampa 2 guy if I recall, Jeff Saturday and Matt Birk are both 30 something in age... I think mid to late? Anyway, a little old to build with..... If we could get Jenkins at 2, that would be a steal even if we had to move him to FS.... imo

John Clayton just said on SC that the Lions & Redskins are both interested in G Derrick Dockery, who was just cut by Buffalo.

Dockery singed a seven-year deal with the Bills back in 2007 after playing his first four years in the league with Washington. The Redskins selected the former University of Texas star in the third round of the 2003 draft. Dockery is known as the one of the most durable players in the league, having started all 16 games in each of the past five seasons.

http://www.sportsnetwork.com/merge/tsnform.aspx?c=sportsnetwork&page=nfl/news/newstest.aspx?id=4215550

Lions are apparently going to pursue Nate Washington.

Washington on the radar

The Vikings are believed to be interested in WR Nate Washington. But Washington may be visiting another NFC North team first: the Detroit Lions.

Word is, the Lions will aggressively pursue Washington, who caught 40 passes for 631 yards and three touchdowns last season for the Pittsburgh Steelers. Washington is 6 foot 1, 185 pounds, and he is from Toledo, OH. Washington is a smart and technically sound player.

Washington may visit with the Lions on Saturday.

http://blogs.twincities.com/Vikings/2009/02/washington_on_the_radar.html