nd1377

Lions Free Agent Watch

Lions agreed to terms with OG Stephen Peterman on a five-year, $15 million contract. The deal includes $5.5 million in guarantees.

http://blogs.nfl.com/2009/02/16/lions-guard-peterman-agree-on-five-year-deal/

Seems like quite a bit of money for a guy who I didn't think was all that good.

I'm absolutely ****ing speechless.

$5.5M guaranteed on Peterman??? WTF is wrong with these people.

How does this make any sense?

The Lions giving a lot of money to a mediocre player? Sounds about right.

We were wondering how much input Mayhew had on Millen's personnel moves and if Lewand ever intervened wehn dollars were improperly allocated..??``````

Wow... that sucks. I was in favor of keeping Peterman, but that's A LOT of money to be throwing at an average OG. WTF?

Calling Peterman an average guard is a bit much. He was the worst offensive lineman to start a game for the Lions last year. That's saying a lot too.

Can some one please tell me what the average pay is for a starting NFL offensive guard?

Here's something I found that's relavent.

In 2006...

6th-year players who started 8 or more games each of their first five years but never made the Pro Bowl:

DB $3,105,027

DL $3,447,937

LB $3,044,277

OL $2,815,147

QB $4,525,227

RB $3,000,045

TE $2,870,848

WR $3,367,574

Peterman only started 6 games in his first 3 years then started 13 in '07 and 14 last year...seems like we paid the average salary for him, but is he an average player? I say no...

This is a guy that didn't play well last season and at the very least should have to earn a spot on the team next season. Instead they've invest $5M+ of cap money and pay him starter money for at least the next season and possibly two depending on how its structured.

The way the Lions played last season, would you consider any Lions offensive lineman average to above average?

In 2006...

6th-year players who started 8 or more games each of their first five years but never made the Pro Bowl:

DB $3,105,027

DL $3,447,937

LB $3,044,277

OL $2,815,147

QB $4,525,227

RB $3,000,045

TE $2,870,848

WR $3,367,574

Peterman only started 6 games in his first 3 years then started 13 in '07 and 14 last year...seems like we paid the average salary for him, but is he an average player? I say no...

I disagree. He's at least that. They can't replace everybody. Besides, he's a freaking guard.

I disagree. He's at least that. They can't replace everybody. Besides, he's a freaking guard.

I realize they can't change everybody.

My point is that he didn't play well enough to be not only guaranteed a roster spot but also penciled in as a starter.

We can't replace everyone but 15-20 player turnover isn't much to ask for. Peterman is young so maybe this will be a real youth movement (with talent this time and less ex-bucs)

Didn't Peterman play pretty decently in '07?

Yarno probably went to bat for him, and thinks he can make him into a decent guard.

I'm OK with the move. And I ALSO hope Manny Ramirez turns into something instead of nothing. And I STILL hope we draft Mack at the top of the 2nd. He can push all 3 interior guys... and hopefully take ONE of their jobs. Maybe LG for this year, and Center in 2010...

Just my 2 cents.

Yarno probably went to bat for him, and thinks he can make him into a decent guard.

Reminds me of Rod and his Cory Redding / Kalimbust Edwards contract blunders thinking he could "coach them up".

Reminds me of Rod and his Cory Redding / Kalimbust Edwards contract blunders thinking he could "coach them up".

Maybe.

But I'm not ready yet to start putting nails into coffins.

I'm still in my wait-n-see mode (been that way for... 8 years?).

Anyways... good luck Yarno, good luck Peterman, and good luck Ramirez... hopes you all do well...

In 2006...

DB $3,105,027

DL $3,447,937

LB $3,044,277

OL $2,815,147

QB $4,525,227

RB $3,000,045

TE $2,870,848

WR $3,367,574

Exactly they paid a backup salary to a backup player who will probably only start at most one season if that ? Even the Lions need backup's and they know his work ethic we have to build some continuity even with the backup's on this team.

Also only 5 mill is guaranteed probably has how many games he starts as incentives, this is a smart move even if people can't see it thru there Lions suck blinders :knocked:

P.S. Peterman is young and will get at least a little better himself from exsperience alone.

In 2006...

DB $3,105,027

DL $3,447,937

LB $3,044,277

OL $2,815,147

QB $4,525,227

RB $3,000,045

TE $2,870,848

WR $3,367,574

This data is from 3 seasons ago.

After sitting on this for a while, I find myself being okay with him being here...it was never a question of money because I thought we paid around what he is worth. I just don't see him as a good fit for our scheme. If that in fact holds true and we continue to run the ZBS we did last year, but from what I understand is it's going to be a hybrid scheme, so we'll see. He's adequate enough to play in the league, but he's not athletic enough to be a zone blocker, he's a horrible in space.

Dre Bly has been released by the Broncos. I remember trying to tell people here that he wasn't all that good and was severely overpaid. Maybe now they will believe me.

Dre Bly has been released by the Broncos. I remember trying to tell people here that he wasn't all that good and was severely overpaid. Maybe now they will believe me.

He was good...he's going on his 11th season, turning 32 this year, and he's lost a step. The shelf life for corners is almost as short as RB. He was going to make $3.25 million this year but had a $6.5 million cap number.

He was good...he's going on his 11th season, turning 32 this year, and he's lost a step. The shelf life for corners is almost as short as RB. He was going to make $3.25 million this year but had a $6.5 million cap number.

Yes, Bly used to be good but I think the Lions traded him at the right time. Denver re-upped his contract and he was overpaid and declining from that point onward. Unfortunately the Lions didn't get anything back in the trade, but at least they got rid of Bly before he became a salary-cap liability.

Albert Haynesworth Article

Titans tackle to test free agency

Comment Email Print Share

ESPN.com news services

After lengthy negotiations with the Tennessee Titans, defensive tackle Albert Haynesworth instead will first test the free-agent market before deciding whether to re-sign with the only NFL team he's played for.

The NFL Network on Wednesday first reported the story, which was later confirmed by ESPN.

The 27-year-old Haynesworth is expected to draw great interest in free agency. Fresh off another Pro Bowl season, the 6-foot-6, 320-pound Haynesworth has 91 tackles and 14.5 sacks in the past two years. In seven seasons as a pro, he has 271 career tackles -- 199 of them solo -- and 24 sacks.

If Haynesworth does return to Tennessee, it won't be before free agency begins Feb. 27.

Haynesworth had a team-high 8.5 sacks and 75 tackles last season. He missed the Titans' final two regular-season games because of a sprained knee before returning for the playoffs.

Good news for the Lions?