Sign in to follow this  
astrocreep

Who starts in goal?

Who do you want starting in the playoffs tomorrow?  

41 members have voted

1. 1. Who do you want starting in the playoffs tomorrow?

• Osgood
    • Conklin

I haven't checked myself yet, but it would be interesting to see the records of the teams facing each goalie. For example, is Osgood facing the tougher competition or is it fairly even?

Ty's game log

Osbads

Conklin - 16 road games 12 home games

opponents combined record 782-539-160

Osgood - 14 road games 14 home games

opponents combined record 723-606-170

So Ozzie had more home games and a easier schedule and still had way worse numbers

So Ozzie had more home games and a easier schedule and still had way worse numbers

Ty has been phenomenal at home, btw. Thanks for doing the math, JM.

Ty is our starter, regardless of who has done what when they did it. Last season is history. Want to win the cup this season? Best goalie right now needs to play. And it isn't Osgood.

I haven't checked myself yet, but it would be interesting to see the records of the teams facing each goalie. For example, is Osgood facing the tougher competition or is it fairly even?

When I was reading this thread earlier today at work, I was wondering the same thing myself!

Thanks to both for the info!

--

I voted for Ty. He's done a fine job, so let's see if he can keep it up.

Regardless of who starts Game 1 of the 1st round, either goalie will be subject to a quick hook in favor of the other if the Wings get down a game or two in any series. The Ozzie of old needs to return, otherwise starting the playoffs with Conklin or with the bad version of Ozzie makes goaltending the Wings' weakest link. I agree with those who say that Conklin's good stats to date don't supersede a career of steady mediocrity. One thing we do know - Osgood is capable of handling Detroit playoff pressure.

I agree 100%, especially with the last statement. Conklin's career mediocrity has to be taken into consideration. Osgood has 2 Stanley Cups. Conklin has only played in 1 playoff game, and that was when he was with the Oilers in 2006.

I respect loyalty. To friends, to family, to sports heroes. That said, Osgood is a mess this season. Mentally, he's not right - right now. From what I've read, there is a problem in the locker room, in regards to him (no link, but it was mentioned on MLive.com's Red Wing blogger)

We talk about how coachs lose a team ... I think Ozzy has lost this team. I think they feel more comfortable with Conk in net.

It's time to put the "He's won two cups" stuff away. That's history.

And this "Conklin has been mediocre" his whole career argument doesn't have any legs either. He's never been given a chance to "start" in his career.

He's the man. Plain and simple. And if the Wings win the cup this season, it'll be the signing of Ty Conklin that will be the biggest FA signing last year.

Because Conklin has a long career record of being mediocre and I'm not convinced after 28 games that he's suddenly become a Stanley Cup calibar goaltender at the age of 32.

All of the other Western Conference goalies you listed have track records of actual success in the regular season. All of them except Backstrom have had a history of at least some playoff success -- and Backstrom has been pretty good in both playoff rounds he's been in with the Wild. Conklin has played 6 minutes of playoff hockey.

I would take every single one of the other contenders goalies over Conklin -- and so would everyone else.

What makes you think that Conklin has a long career record of being mediocre any more than Osgood? Granted, Osgood has played for longer, but take a look at their career numbers.

Conklin - 2.55 GAA & a Save Percentage of 91% (.910 to be exact)

Osgood - 2.46 GAA & a Save Percentage of 91% (.906 to be exact)

Call me crazy, but those numbers look pretty damn similar to me.....And yeah, he's not on caliber with the NHL's elite/contending goalies (Nabakov, Backstrom, Thomas, Kiprusoff, etc.), but it's not like I wouldn't take one of them over Osgood either.

About dogging his playoff minutes too, I really don't see how that's his fault.

2001-02 - Rookie year for the Oilers, only played in four games.

2002-03 - Didn't play in the NHL, got to the AHL finals.

2003-04 - Was backup to Tommy Salo, then started when Salo got hurt. Salo got shipped to Colorado, so Edmonton used Conklin & Markkanen, but the Oilers didn't make the playoffs.

2004-05 - Lockout

2005-06 - Oilers traded for Roloson, who struggled to start, and used Conklin, Markkanen & Morrison too. Conklin ended up getting sent down, and Roloson emerged in the playoffs as the starter & got them to the Finals.

2006-07 - Conklin signed with the Blue Jackets, didn't play much, then got traded to the Sabres, but they already had on of the top goalies in the league, Ryan Miller.

2007-08 - Signs with the Penguins, but they already had another one of the better goalies in the league, Marc-Andre Fleury. Fleury went down with an injury, and Conklin did a great job filling in, but Fleury came back, played every game in the playoffs & got the Penguins to the Finals.

So he's been in a **** out of lock position for most of his career. The Oilers kept starting Tommy Salo who was an All-Star a couple of times for them, then Roloson blew up for them, wasn't going to start in front of Miller who was putting up big numbers, and even though he did well filling in for Fleury, the Penguins stuck with Fleury because was coming off a 40 win year.

Now he's here, and he actually has been outplaying Osgood, our "starter," and is on pace to put up career best numbers. I don't know if anyone said that he's a Stanley Cup caliber goalie, but who's to say he's not? Especially when you consider the supporting cast that he's got behind him right now.

EatEmUp, it's not that it's Conklin's FAULT that he doesn't have playoff experience. It's simply a fact that, forever whatever reason, he hasn't gained playoff experience. So how he will react is a question mark. Manny Legace put up some pretty good regular season numbers with the Wings.

Same with how it's not Luongo's fault that he's only won one playoff series in his career, but a fact that he has not. So in Luongo takes the Canucks on a big run this spring, I want Brodeur starting for Team Canada in what for a Canadian goalie will be the 2nd most intense atmospheres (2nd only to '72) in the history of hockey - Vancouver Olympics 2010.

I'm not saying Osgood should get a free pass. If Hasek didn't get one last season, Ozzie certainly isn't guaranteed of one. But playoff experience DOES count for something, 2 Stanley Cups as a starter and 3 overall is not nothing. I would love to find out more about that rumor of Ozzie being part of a dressing room rift?! The Babcok-Osgood "controversy" of last week is one thing, but with fellow players?

EatEmUp, it's not that it's Conklin's FAULT that he doesn't have playoff experience. It's simply a fact that, forever whatever reason, he hasn't gained playoff experience. So how he will react is a question mark. Manny Legace put up some pretty good regular season numbers with the Wings.

Same with how it's not Luongo's fault that he's only won one playoff series in his career, but a fact that he has not. So in Luongo takes the Canucks on a big run this spring, I want Brodeur starting for Team Canada in what for a Canadian goalie will be the 2nd most intense atmospheres (2nd only to '72) in the history of hockey - Vancouver Olympics 2010.

I'm not saying Osgood should get a free pass. If Hasek didn't get one last season, Ozzie certainly isn't guaranteed of one. But playoff experience DOES count for something, 2 Stanley Cups as a starter and 3 overall is not nothing. I would love to find out more about that rumor of Ozzie being part of a dressing room rift?! The Babcok-Osgood "controversy" of last week is one thing, but with fellow players?

Fair enough, but the difference between him and Conklin is that Luongo has been the undoubted goalie on every team since breaking into the NHL with the Panthers. I mean, wasn't Luongo the highest drafted goalie in the history of the NHL?

So, He was putting up great numbers for the Panthers after the Islanders traded him (horrible trade), but the Panthers sucked so he wasn't getting wins. Finally got some wins in his last year with the Panthers, but they still didn't make the playoffs. Goes to the Canucks, gets to the playoffs, gives up 4 goals in his first playoff game against the Stars (4 OT game, was awesome), but then locks it down & doesn't give up more than 2 goals for the rest of the series & they advanced in 7 games. Then they got beat by Anaheim the next round, but Luongo let up 3 or more goals in over half those games & he only let up more than 2 goals once in the first round. Last year, they didn't make it, so he's 50% (series wins) in his playoff appearances.

Now if you were to put him on the Wings, I think we'd be talking about a lot more appearances & wins, and potential Cup victories. Now Conklin has been on good teams that have made it to the playoffs, but has been stuck behind a couple great goalies & a goalie that got hot at the right time. Luongo on the other hand, has been on a team that makes it to the playoffs just that one time, and hasn't been stuck behind anyone because he's sick.

Maybe fault wasn't the right word to use, but it's certainly not something that I would hold against Conklin & the whole career mediocre comment when they share career numbers that are nearly identical is something I didn't understand. I'm not throwing Osgood under the bus, because without him we might be a couple Cups lighter than we are. But the question was if the playoffs were to start today, who starts? I would base my decision on the goalie who is giving the team the best chance to win & is putting up the best numbers, and Conklin has been doing better at both of those things so far.

Reposted from the Wings/Preds game thread.

I certainly don't want to offend Osgood fans, but I think the stats for Conks and Ozzie speak for themselves. Conks is deserving as starting goalie. I can't imagine going into the playoffs with Ozzy. While many will say the Wing defense this year is responsible for Ozzy's performance, I am not in that camp. I do hope he can restore himself though. I'm not totally convinced its all his fault, (at times he plays very well), but its clear he's letting in a lot of soft goals. That's not the Ozzy I remember.

As my AAW for the year, I think Conklin deserves to be the starter in the playoffs. Conks is playing well and I think that Osgood is a little mentally rattled right now. Go with the hot hand....because good goaltending can win the Cup with the rest of the Redwings.

Thanks, all the numbers point to Conklin as the starter come playoff time. Ozzie to step in if Conklin collapses or has a couple bad games.

Regardless of who starts Game 1 of the 1st round, either goalie will be subject to a quick hook in favor of the other if the Wings get down a game or two in any series. The Ozzie of old needs to return, otherwise starting the playoffs with Conklin or with the bad version of Ozzie makes goaltending the Wings' weakest link. I agree with those who say that Conklin's good stats to date don't supersede a career of steady mediocrity. One thing we do know - Osgood is capable of handling Detroit playoff pressure.

I think this post pretty much says it all.

Whoever starts is going to be on a short leash.

They are the weakest link.

Conklin is doing well, but Ozzie has actually done it.

I don't really know the answer.

Do they sign a guy or bring up a guy?

I want to say Conklin, but am I 100% feeling good about Conklin in the playoffs? Not really. Same with Osgood. The Wings are unbelievable and they're going to score. Am I confident they can score 3 goals a game in the playoffs? Because that's what it might take with their current goalie situation.

Well, kind of. lol. But not entirely.

i'm going to use this as an example:

"Conklin is doing well, but Ozzie has actually done it."

at one time, the same thing was said of Ozzie.

i'm going to use this as an example:

"Conklin is doing well, but Ozzie has actually done it."

at one time, the same thing was said of Ozzie.

Right, and just because of that, the people who are saying Osgood should be the one to start, are basing everything on what he's done last year & when he was our goalie in '98 when we won the Cup, but nobody mentions the years he started & we didn't win the Cup.

Yeah, so ... anyone wanna change their mind?

I'm sticking with Ozzie until the last regular season game. But getting him straightened out - whether it's mental or physical or the way the team plays in front of him - needs to be priority #1 the rest of the way. Whether Conklin or Osgood in net for the playoffs, if the Wings get goaltending like they did in the 1st four games of the Nashville series, we'll be lucky to make it to May. Get league average goaltending in the playoffs and the Wings must be the favorites to win again.

Just another great example......

Most of the time, if you put up 5 goals in a game, you're going to walk out with a win. But not when the goalie on your team lets up even more......

I'm sticking with Ozzie until the last regular season game. But getting him straightened out - whether it's mental or physical or the way the team plays in front of him - needs to be priority #1 the rest of the way. Whether Conklin or Osgood in net for the playoffs, if the Wings get goaltending like they did in the 1st four games of the Nashville series, we'll be lucky to make it to May. Get league average goaltending in the playoffs and the Wings must be the favorites to win again.

Most of his problems are rebound control, he gives up some of the biggest rebounds I have seen this year. A lot of average fans think our defense is playing worse for him, but in reality he is putting his saves in spots that give high percentage chances after the save.

Most of his problems are rebound control, he gives up some of the biggest rebounds I have seen this year. A lot of average fans think our defense is playing worse for him, but in reality he is putting his saves in spots that give high percentage chances after the save.

If you don't think the defense has been worse this year than last then you haven't seen very many hockey games. If you're talking in comparison between Osgood and Conklin then that can definitely be debated. I think Conklin deserves more starts but you can't throw ozzy by the waste side either. When he's hot like he was in last year's playoffs he proved he can put up one of the best goaltending displays ever.

If you don't think the defense has been worse this year than last then you haven't seen very many hockey games. If you're talking in comparison between Osgood and Conklin then that can definitely be debated. I think Conklin deserves more starts but you can't throw ozzy by the waste side either. When he's hot like he was in last year's playoffs he proved he can put up one of the best goaltending displays ever.

Yes, the defense has been worse this year than last year. But it's not the worst defense in the league, yet Ozzie pretty much has the worst stats in the league in terms of GAA and Save %. He's had a sucky year, I acknowledge. And the lost opportunity is that this year if he had played great in front of a poorer defense he could have answered some critics who claimed his career stats and milestones have been inflated by playing so many years behind such a great defense.