Sign in to follow this  
astrocreep

Who starts in goal?

Who do you want starting in the playoffs tomorrow?  

41 members have voted

1. 1. Who do you want starting in the playoffs tomorrow?

• Osgood
    • Conklin

Conklin

Posted a longer version of this in the game thread earlier, but basically here's why.

Better GAA, better Save %, more Shutouts, and the fact that I don't see Osgood as a starting goalie.

Do you consider Conklin a #1 goalie?

moreso than ozzie at this point, he is 2nd or 3rd(dont remember which) in nhl in shutouts and he is "the backup" here.

Do you consider Conklin a #1 goalie?

I don't really consider either of them as a #1 goalie, but I think Conklin has outplayed Osgood so far this year & for that, I'd give him the nod.

Comparison purposes since they have played the exact amount of time(one minute of each other)

Conklin - 28 Games (1639 minutes) 19-7-1 64 goals allowed(2.34 GAA) .915 Save % and 6 SO

Osgood - 28 Games (1640 minutes) 17-4-6 90 goals allowed(3.29 GAA) .880 Save % and 0 SO

So in basically the same amount of minutes, Osgood has allowed 26 more goals than Conklin in only 28 games. That is almost one more a game Ozzie is allowing.

Conklin is playing much better than Osgood right now, but if he's the starter for the playoffs I don't think the Wings will get very far. That being said, if the Wings don't get anyone else, Conklin should probably start.

We could see something similar to last year. Hasek finished the year with barely a .900 save percentage....he kind of looks shaky all year then gets yanked in the playoffs vs. Nashville for Ozzie. This time it could be Ozzie's turn to get yanked.

Conklin is playing much better than Osgood right now, but if he's the starter for the playoffs I don't think the Wings will get very far. That being said, if the Wings don't get anyone else, Conklin should probably start.

I dont get why you would say that

Conklin stats

6 shutouts (tied for 2nd in NHL)

2.34 GAA (8th in NHL)

.915 sv % (15th in NHL)

His numbers are better than other western conference playoff goalies

SJ - Nabokov 2.41 GAA and .910 Save % 4 SO

CGY - Kiprusoff - 2.81 GAA and .904 Save % 3 SO

CHI - Khabibulin - 2.42 GAA and .922 Save % 1 SO

DAL - Turco - 2.88 GAA and .892 Save % 2 SO

ANA - Giguere - 3.01 GAA and .905 Save % 2 SO

VAN - Luongo - 2.61 GAA and .914 Save % 5 SO

MIN - Backstrom - 2.19 GAA and .937 Save % 6 SO

Backstrom is the only one who can say is playing clearly better than Conklin at this point of the year.

Hopefully Osgood can turn it up a little in the stretch run, because right now it looks like Conklin is the clear cut #1.

Looking at that list of goalies in the west, its pretty hard to argue against a West playoff team compared to the questionable goaltending in the east. Over there is basically Lundqvist and Thomas, and a few others.

I dont get why you would say that

Because Conklin has a long career record of being mediocre and I'm not convinced after 28 games that he's suddenly become a Stanley Cup calibar goaltender at the age of 32.

All of the other Western Conference goalies you listed have track records of actual success in the regular season. All of them except Backstrom have had a history of at least some playoff success -- and Backstrom has been pretty good in both playoff rounds he's been in with the Wild. Conklin has played 6 minutes of playoff hockey.

I would take every single one of the other contenders goalies over Conklin -- and so would everyone else.

If the playoff started right now, I say go with the hot hand.

With that said, I don't think one should totally dismiss Ozzie at this point. Unless by some kind of magical, lucky Hollandasian move that gets us better #1 goalie that keeps us under the cap without giving up much of anything, I agree with Shinma that Ozzie should get at least game one.

Regardless of who starts Game 1 of the 1st round, either goalie will be subject to a quick hook in favor of the other if the Wings get down a game or two in any series. The Ozzie of old needs to return, otherwise starting the playoffs with Conklin or with the bad version of Ozzie makes goaltending the Wings' weakest link. I agree with those who say that Conklin's good stats to date don't supersede a career of steady mediocrity. One thing we do know - Osgood is capable of handling Detroit playoff pressure.

Conklin has definitely been better....but the thing is, playoffs DON'T start tomorrow. Give Ozzie his chance to regain form, and if not, go with Conklin.

Osgood is not a spectacular goalie. He was good in the playoffs last season, but that was probably the best team effort I'd ever seen.

Comparison purposes since they have played the exact amount of time(one minute of each other)

Conklin - 28 Games (1639 minutes) 19-7-1 64 goals allowed(2.34 GAA) .915 Save % and 6 SO

Osgood - 28 Games (1640 minutes) 17-4-6 90 goals allowed(3.29 GAA) .880 Save % and 0 SO

So in basically the same amount of minutes, Osgood has allowed 26 more goals than Conklin in only 28 games. That is almost one more a game Ozzie is allowing.

Amazingly, the SA's are dead even too: Conklin has faced 752; Ozzy 753 ... so it's not a case of The Wings "protecting" Conklin, as I've heard some say.

Osgood. Conklin can only be average at best.

He's been considerably above average when he's had good teams in front of him the past two seasons.

Osgood. Conklin can only be average at best.

tied for second in the league in shutouts only starting half your teams games is anything but average

I swear some people havent been watching games this year and just assume Osgood is better because he is Osgood.

Also, Osgood has been at best a part time goalie 5 of the past 6 seasons, he got hot in the playoffs last year and I dont expect similar performance from him this coming season. Outside of that playoff stretch you could say in Osgood's career he has been average at best, playing behind a great offense and defense(he was called the worst starting goalie to win a cup by some in the 90's when we won). Im not going to say that, but I think Ozzie gets overrated by Wings fans.

With something like 28 games left, there's a lot of time for Osgood to turn it around or Conklin to play closer to average.

On the other hand, if Conklin continues to be the superior netminder down the stretch, it would hard to go with Ozzie.

28 games is a long time to sort this out. Regardless, I do NOT believe the Wings should look outside the organization for goaltending help.

tied for second in the league in shutouts only starting half your teams games is anything but average

I swear some people havent been watching games this year and just assume Osgood is better because he is Osgood.

Also, Osgood has been at best a part time goalie 5 of the past 6 seasons, he got hot in the playoffs last year and I dont expect similar performance from him this coming season. Outside of that playoff stretch you could say in Osgood's career he has been average at best, playing behind a great offense and defense(he was called the worst starting goalie to win a cup by some in the 90's when we won). Im not going to say that, but I think Ozzie gets overrated by Wings fans.

Chris Osgood has started on two Cup-winning teams, was the Vezina runner up, and has been much better over the course of his career than you're giving him credit for. Granted, he has been awful this season, but he's been a terrific goalie over the course of his career and it isn't just because he's playing behind a good time. He took a couple of bad Islanders and Blues teams to the playoffs in his time away from the Wings.

I won't advocate Chris Osgood for the HOF, but I do not think he is overrated at all. In fact, Ozzie (and every other Red Wing goalie for that matter) has always taken a lot of crap from Detroit fans.

Chris Osgood has started on two Cup-winning teams, was the Vezina runner up, and has been much better over the course of his career than you're giving him credit for. Granted, he has been awful this season, but he's been a terrific goalie over the course of his career and it isn't just because he's playing behind a good time. He took a couple of bad Islanders and Blues teams to the playoffs in his time away from the Wings.

I won't advocate Chris Osgood for the HOF, but I do not think he is overrated at all. In fact, Ozzie (and every other Red Wing goalie for that matter) has always taken a lot of crap from Detroit fans.

I was overexagerating, I think Ozzie has been a good, not great, goalie throughout his career. But this year a lot of people seem to be giving Ozzie a free pass and comments like Conklin can only be average at best get on my nerves, so I was trying to make a point. Those aren't all my opinions, but are definitely opinions Ive seen and read before.

I haven't checked myself yet, but it would be interesting to see the records of the teams facing each goalie. For example, is Osgood facing the tougher competition or is it fairly even?

I was overexagerating, I think Ozzie has been a good, not great, goalie throughout his career. But this year a lot of people seem to be giving Ozzie a free pass and comments like Conklin can only be average at best get on my nerves, so I was trying to make a point. Those aren't all my opinions, but are definitely opinions Ive seen and read before.

Gotcha. I agree completely. I'm a big time Conklin supporter as well.