Vonlenska

Hossa or Franzen?

Yeah, Leino needs to be on the team. He's ready. And he's no spring chicken. Easy to forget he's already 25, older than both Hudler and Filppula. I just wish the Wings had been able to give him more time at the NHL level to see how he compares to them over the course of a season.

As much as I love Franzen and want to be loyal and all to the guy we drafted, and he is fantastic; but geez, Hossa is just an elite player. The more I watch him, the more I think, how do you not make him priority number 1? It's impossible. He's making it impossible. He's not only one of the best guys on the Wings, he's one of the best guys in the league. He's a top 5 type guy. How many other guys would you rather have that aren't on the Wings already? Two or three guys?

As much as I love Franzen and want to be loyal and all to the guy we drafted, and he is fantastic; but geez, Hossa is just an elite player. The more I watch him, the more I think, how do you not make him priority number 1? It's impossible. He's making it impossible. He's not only one of the best guys on the Wings, he's one of the best guys in the league. He's a top 5 type guy. How many other guys would you rather have that aren't on the Wings already? Two or three guys?

Agree 100%. I think Franzen knows it and would settle for a bit less to keep he and hossa on the same team. I think Hossa would take less annually to be on a cup contender until the day he retires.

I don't think they can do it, but I really want them to keep Hudler on the team somehow. He's become my next favourite player after Cleary and Datsyuk.

MLive writer Ansar Khan thinks we will sign both

http://www.mlive.com/redwings/index.ssf/2009/02/qa_red_wings_marian_hossa_both.html

Downing: Who will the Wings re-sign first, Franzen or Hossa?

Khan: They can only sign one before the end of the season due to some complicated tagging rule in the CBA, and general manager Ken Holland has said he'll ink whoever agrees first to the number he has in mind for each player. This is how I think the situation might unfold: Franzen will sign first, for around $4 million a season. It's just my opinion, but I think they'll come to a verbal agreement with Hossa on money and term before the end of the season and sign him on July 1. I think management and the players want to settle this situation before the end of the regular season so it's not hanging over anybody's head in the playoffs.

Evanz: How do you see things shaping up now that Zetterberg is locked up with the UFAs and RFAs?

Khan: If they re-sign both Hossa and Franzen they won't be able to retain Jiri Hudler and Mikael Samuelsson, as far as I can tell. They would at least be able to get something for Hudler, who's a restricted free agent, through trade or compensation from an offer sheet signed with another team. They still would be able to re-sign Tomas Kopecky -- and I think they will -- because he would be inexpensive

Hank40: With trying to sign Hoss and Mule, and let's say that happens, it's looking that it might be Andreas Lilja and Brett Lebda being gone? Plus Big Rig (Ericsson) should be on the roster next year, so wouldn't we have to lose at least two other than Cheli?

Khan: Ericsson definitely will be on the roster next season, not only because he's good enough, but also because he'll be out of minor league options. I suppose he could replace Chelios on the roster and they could go with eight defensemen again, but they might not have the cap space to carry eight. That means one of Lilja, Lebda or Derek Meech likely would be the odd-man out. I don't have a good read right now as to who it might be.

Goodbye, Lilja.

no kidding, Lilja has a 1.25 cap hit, Lebda .65 and Meech .483.

With those numbers it shouldnt even be a question, considering we need as much cap space as we can get

I don't necessarly disagree that Lilja is the odd man out given his cap hit. However, I must say that I have been impressed with his play this season. He's shown more responsibility in his own zone and has even shown a bit of a scoring touch. He's been very good for a #5/#6 defenseman.

I have to agree that Lilja hasn't been the human parking cone with turnovers this season, but with all of the defensive talent sitting in Grand Rapids chomping at the bit to get on the ice it certainly doesnt look good for him.

I have to agree that Lilja hasn't been the human parking cone with turnovers this season, but with all of the defensive talent sitting in Grand Rapids chomping at the bit to get on the ice it certainly doesnt look good for him.

I could also see Meech gone for a younger guy next year too, only because he doesnt bring much to the team and I bet guys like Ericsson are better than him already

I could also see Meech gone for a younger guy next year too, only because he doesnt bring much to the team and I bet guys like Ericsson are better than him already

Meech's versatility, IMO, brings a lot to the team especially since we're going to be so close to the cap's ceiling.

Meech's versatility, IMO, brings a lot to the team especially since we're going to be so close to the cap's ceiling.

I guess that makes some sense, I was looking, and all our top prospects make more than Meech does

any question on whether or not Hossa wanted to stay here are answered

http://blog.mlive.com/snapshots/2009/02/selling_hossa_on_staying_in_de.html

"They have some plan to keep both players, we'll see how they're going to manage that," said Hossa when asked if he was willing to take a hometown discount as Henrik Zetterberg did on his new contract. "Everybody knows if you want to stay here, you have to take less, so yes (I'll take less)."

and Babcock on the situation

Babcock, on the possibility of Hossa signing a long-term deal with the Wings: "I know Kenny (general manager Ken Holland ) will get it done, and I know Hoss will get it done. I think Hoss wants to stay, Kenny wants him to stay.