Vonlenska

Hossa or Franzen?

Which would you rather the Wings retain, assuming they can only choose one?

I'd take Franzen, really. Players like him are not easy to replace.

Franzen for me as well. He'll likely be cheaper and he provides some size and the power forward mentality that this team really needs, IMO. It would also cause the reunion of Hank and Pasha which I'd like to see.

I don't think Franzen needs to be great. He has 21 goals and 11 assists this year, to Hossa's 23 goals and 24 assists.

That's pretty damn good. He's on pace for around 40 goals. You don't find many players who have Franzen's size with his kind of goal scoring ability.

Franzen. Younger, Cheaper, and can do more then score.

One year younger, & probably will want a hefty new contract after his success......and what do you mean when you say can do more than score? I'm guessing you're talking about his willingness to post up in front of the net.

Hossa is faster, has better hands & puck skills, is a more dynamic player & a bigger threat on the ice.

it almost who would you rather have

Hossa or Franzen/Hudler

because if the answer is Hossa I dont think they could get Hudler resigned unless he takes a hometown discount

There's no way Franzen will command (or get) a contract similar to Hossa.

Never said he would, just said he's going to want a better contract....and I don't think he's going to accept a contract around $1 million a year like he has right now.

It's not really that tough, Hossa is the better player, period. If he is willing to stick around for a reasonable amount of money, much like he did when we signed him for this year, I'll take him without a question over Franzen.

Either one of them will be almost impossible to replace. I guess the best answer would be "Which ever one signs." Hossa is a superstar and he's showing it. Franzen is big and strong and is pretty versitile for a big man. No matter which one you lose, it's going to hurt. I'm hoping they sign both of them.

One year younger, & probably will want a hefty new contract after his success......and what do you mean when you say can do more than score? I'm guessing you're talking about his willingness to post up in front of the net.

Hossa is faster, has better hands & puck skills, is a more dynamic player & a bigger threat on the ice.

Don't forget he's also great on the back-end.

The Wings won the cup without Hossa, with Franzen basically carrying them in the 2nd round. Don't forget that.

I love the Mule, but if the Wings can only keep one of them I choose Hossa. He's only 11 1/2 months older, and his overall skill set is better.

The Wings won the cup without Hossa, with Franzen basically carrying them in the 2nd round. Don't forget that.

Right, Franzen got hot at the perfect time. But like I've been saying & others have already said.....Hossa is the better player, and he's a star in the league. Not only is Franzen not, but I don't think he'll ever be a star in the NHL either.

Your basic logic is agreeable. I just don't think there's many players like Franzen. We have superstars on this team. Sure, I love Hossa as a player and would be giddy if he were a Wing long term, but I think the Wings need someone like Franzen more.

I don't see this as very close whatsoever, Hossa is one of the top two way forwards in the league and has established himself. Don't froget that Franzen is in a contract year, although Hossa is too, he has shown he can produce previously. Franzen could very well have turned a corner but I believe you go with an established player over one that hasn't yet.

IMO Franzen is the type of player we have a better chance of replacing cheaply with our scouting and development. Hossa is a star. If we had to choose 1, I take Hossa. If it becomes Hossa vs Franzen/Hudler it becomes a bit more of a question, but I think I still pick Hossa as again, it is much easier to get those types than it is to get a star like Hossa, let alone Hossa, Pavel, Zett, and Lindstrom.

IMO Franzen is the type of player we have a better chance of replacing cheaply with our scouting and development. Hossa is a star. If we had to choose 1, I take Hossa. If it becomes Hossa vs Franzen/Hudler it becomes a bit more of a question, but I think I still pick Hossa as again, it is much easier to get those types than it is to get a star like Hossa, let alone Hossa, Pavel, Zett, and Lindstrom.

I agree with everything you said, except it's more like Franzen was the type of player we had a better chance of replacing cheaply......

A guy doesn't just break out within the past two years like he has & then expect that he can be signed/re-signed for cheap. He knows he's already proven enough to make a decent pay day & I'm sure whoever his agent is knows the same thing.