mtk1210

Zetterberg - 12 year extension

It is. OH MY GOD, Holland is a genius. The first two years are $1M/year (LOL) then the last ten at ~$7M each.

Take THAT salary cap!

Salary cap fights back and says 12 yr 72 mil is 6 mil/yr and that's what the cap hit is. Doesn't matter that it's $1 mil each of the first two years, contracts go by what the average salary is. This is the way the NHL combats teams from front loading or back loading contracts.

Just Filppula is getting $2 mil this year but the cap hit is $3 mil/yr because he signed a 5 yr 15 mil deal.

Right now with Zetterberg's contract for next year their cap hit goes up $3.35 more mil from the previous $2.65. They stand at $44.567 for 15 roster players and that's with Franzen, Hossa UFA's and Hudler RFA.

Back in late November there was a report saying the cap might decline to $55mil.

http://tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=256633&lid=sublink03&lpos=headlines_nhl

Salary cap fights back and says 12 yr 72 mil is 6 mil/yr and that's what the cap hit is. Doesn't matter that it's $1 mil each of the first two years, contracts go by what the average salary is. This is the way the NHL combats teams from front loading or back loading contracts.

Just Filppula is getting $2 mil this year but the cap hit is $3 mil/yr because he signed a 5 yr 15 mil deal.

Right now with Zetterberg's contract for next year their cap hit goes up $3.35 more mil from the previous $2.65. They stand at $44.567 for 15 roster players and that's with Franzen, Hossa UFA's and Hudler RFA.

Back in late November there was a report saying the cap might decline to $55mil.

http://tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=256633&lid=sublink03&lpos=headlines_nhl

I was saying that because he saved $1M cap space that he can use on other players.

I'm not going to lie, 12 years is a long time. My preferred contract for Hank would have been 7 years/$50 million. But to have a cap hit at $6 million per year is unreal. He could have got the same type of money Hossa was offered (9 years/$80 million) if he went UFA. Holland just keeps proving he's the best at what he does. The culture of winning in Detroit is here to stay.

And sign a lights-out goaltender!

Didn't we just draft a Blue Chip goaltender in the first round last year? And I thought Howard was supposed to be ready next year (I don't know much about hockey at all). Am I wrong in this?

Didn't we just draft a Blue Chip goaltender in the first round last year? And I thought Howard was supposed to be ready next year (I don't know much about hockey at all). Am I wrong in this?

McCollum is a long ways away from playing in the NHL let alone being a lights out goalie in the NHL. Howard, who has really picked it up lately, is getting outplayed by Daniel Larsson in Grand Rapids. We have good young goalies, but I would be very uncomfortable with any of them being the #1 guy next season.

The culture of winning in Detroit is here to stay.

Exactly.

This is why being a Red Wings fan is so rewarding. You know that management is always looking at least 3 seasons down the road to guarantee a consistent winning pedigree.

I'm thrilled with this extension.

Very safe contract for the organization and Hank. Committment for both sides. Hank takes less a year for long term security, the team gets flexibility. get Hossa next, then deal with Huds. Franzen may be a casualty, but it will probably be first come first serve Hossa vs. Franzen. Hopefully the Oilers don't take a fun at Huds like they did with Vanek or Penner...if he signs a sheet over 3 he's outta here.

And sign a lights-out goaltender!

Holland has a new philosophy with goalies. He isn't going to spend money on them. He prefers spending money on defensemen. I don't see him signing a big-name goalie anytime soon. It seemed to work last year.

As for Zetts, that's a long deal, but I'll take it for the money being offered. It locks up a star at below market value for a long time. It might bite us in the rear in about 9 years, but who knows what the cap will be 10 years from now?

Still dont see room to resign Franzen and Hossa

47.4 tied up in 15 players for next year

would need 8 guys with limited cap and Hudler is a FA too

Franzen is, if necessary, replaceable.

Some of the guys to fill that out would be Helm and Abdelkader but they have larger cap hits than a likely departing McCarty and Kopecky (ufa). Wings are probably hoping a team will qualify Hudler so the Wings could have a choice of accepting picks or re-signing him but teams aren't going to be in a hurry to do that because even though the Wings are good they're headed into a precarious cap situation. Wings will have $26.15 dedicated to 4 players, Rangers are in worse shape, you could make a case for the Flyers but they have a very young core locked up long term and 19 under contract for next year. I really want to see the cap go down to see what teams do.

Also I think the fact that he is signed for so long means he is probably going to be our next captain

I think that was the plan awhile ago. They didn't put his locker next to Yzerman's when he first came into the NHL by accident.

Franzen is, if necessary, replaceable.

I don't know about that; he's a high-scoring power forward. Other than highly-skilled, physical d-men, they're about the least replaceable players in the league.

I believe Hossa is less of a loss than Franzen. Franzen is cheaper and we have two other guys who play a similar role to Hossa(Z and Dats) and Homer is maybe the only guy who fills Franzen's role and Homer is on the downslope of his career. Its harder to replace a power forward imo. Hossa is obviously a better player, but I think Franzen may be a bigger loss

I don't know about that; he's a high-scoring power forward. Other than highly-skilled, physical d-men, they're about the least replaceable players in the league.

This is probably correct and Franzen might become very valuable considering the contract of Holmstrom (36, will be 37 next January) is expiring. Sure they will have some money but Franzen is the guy you want to keep. Holland has made a couple mistakes lately though, one of them is the Stuart contract at $3.75, yes there's loyalty involved but he's never a $3.75 type of defenseman. The Filppula contract might not be a good one either, sure it's the way now to pay younger guys more to hope they become better and become a bargain down the line but I'm not sure Filppula is fulfilling that right now. This is where the Hudler thing gets interesting, Hudler is the same age, produced more last year and producing more this year. Filppula signed a 5 yr 15 mil deal, Hudler's agent must be smiling.

http://blog.mlive.com/snapshots/2009/01/hossas_agent_weighs_in_on_zett.html

Hossa's agent weighs in on Zetterberg deal

Posted by George James Malik January 28, 2009 13:37PM

The Edmonton Journal's Jim Matheson spoke to player agent Rich Winter about both the long-term deal Detroit Red Wings forward Henrik Zetterberg will sign today and the inclination of his client, Marian Hossa, to attempt to stay with Detroit as well:

January 28, Edmonton Journal: "I guess you could look at [Zetterberg's deal] as a hometown discount," said player agent Ritch Winter, who represents unrestricted free-agent Marian Hossa, who signed a one-year contract in Detroit last July for $7.4 million even though he could have taken much more from the Edmonton Oilers in a long-term deal. Hossa opted to go with the Wings because he felt they had a better chance to win a Stanley Cup.

"How do you compare security against the hometown discount," Winter said. "As the years extend to the ninth, 10th, 11th and 12th, it's pretty challenging to also get the money. Security in this day and age with the economy so uncertain is a huge factor." In every deal, there is money and opportunity. ... Henrik hasn't known anything (but winning) playing in Detroit, and at the end of the day, you take that into consideration."

If Zetterberg's cap hit is only $6 million a year, the Wings would have 17 players under contract for next season at a little more than $47 million in total. That doesn't leave them a lot of wiggle room to try and resign UFAs like Hossa and Johan Franzen, who have 44 goals between them, and group-two free-agent Jiri Hudler, who has 39 points playing just 131/2 minutes a game. In a perfect world, they would like to keep Hossa, but if he wants more money, then Franzen and Hudler might be manageable signings.

"Marian likes Detroit; he's had a great time there and we've had discussions with Ken (Holland), but he wanted to get Henrik done first," said Winter. "One of his priorities with Marian is trying to figure out how he can stay there."

Crazy suggestion of the day: Hossa or Franzen may have to take a one-year haircut until Nicklas Lidstrom's salary comes off the books, at which point I would imagine Lidstrom would be more inclined to sign a lower-dollar-figure deal to keep his teammates around.

I had a co-worker that kind of hinted that the contract may last longer than Ilitch. That really is pretty likely.