slim pickens

Scott Linehan new OC

OC Coordinator? Offensive Coordinator Coordinator? :cheeky:

I think this belongs in the Political Forum. Obviously he's talking about the Orange County Coordinator.

Why re-sign him? It was a low cost/high potential experiment that failed once it became obvious that Daunte is a long, long way from being a productive NFL QB.

If you can resign him for another low cost/high potential experiment, I'd say do it. My biggest problem with signing Culpepper in the first place was that the second half of his contract (the 2009 portion) was not low cost. If you can bring him back in the neighborhood of 1 million or less, I'd say do it.

It will be interesting how Scott Linehan runs his offense without Daunte or Randy Moss. It says something about Moss as a player when he made Daunte and Scott Linehan look good for making all those catches.

It says something about Moss as a player when he made Daunte and Scott Linehan look good for making all those catches.

Yeah, and now he gets to work with Calvin flippin' Johnson! He'll get to work with CJ, Kevin Smith .. and quite possibly .. Matthew Stafford at QB.

In short, he'll have talent to work with. Lets hope for the best!

It will be interesting how Scott Linehan runs his offense without Daunte or Randy Moss. It says something about Moss as a player when he made Daunte and Scott Linehan look good for making all those catches.

Somebody still had to throw him the ball.

I hope this doesn't mean Culpepper sticks around, not at his salary. I'm still not sold on the fact that Mayhew signed him to a 2 year deal.

Honestly I'd rather have Culpepper starting next year, rather than drafting a QB high in the draft. There are better QB's coming out next year & I don't really think the team is going to completely turn around next year, so why not hold off & use the picks on guys that don't really have as high of a risk as say Stafford or Sanchez?

Someone said Culpepper has shown that he is a long way away from being productive......well didn't we bring him in randomly like halfway through the year & then just threw him right into the trenches? Is it completely ridiculous to think that maybe with him actually going through some training camps & preseason games he would be better prepared?

I would LIKE to have a guy that wasn't drowning in offensive talent in Minnesota and just plain drowned in St. Louis. But, I guess we'll wait and see.

Why does it seem like we're hiring guys based on what they did 3-5 years ago?

Cause the guys who are effective coordinator's NOW are either getting hired as head coaches or are still under contract with their existing teams. No playoff team is gonna let their DC or OC go to become a DC or OC with another team.

So, you have two choices:

A.) You hire position coaches who are effective now, but likely don't have experience as a DC or OC.

-or-

B.) You hire people who were effective DC or OC guys a few years ago that you think can still be effective.

Given that Schwartz is a rookie HC, I think he is trying to surround himself with experienced people that he feels he can work with. He doesn't want to train new coordinators while he's learning how to be a Head coach himself. I think there is a certain amount of intelligence in that, as long as he is able to work effectively with these people and convey what he wants done.

Honestly I'd rather have Culpepper starting next year, rather than drafting a QB high in the draft. There are better QB's coming out next year & I don't really think the team is going to completely turn around next year, so why not hold off & use the picks on guys that don't really have as high of a risk as say Stafford or Sanchez?

Agreed. I'd rather have a bit of a base built up before we bring in the General so that we can provide at least some level of protection rather than having the General exposed to enemy fire as we attempt to build the base around him.

Someone said Culpepper has shown that he is a long way away from being productive......well didn't we bring him in randomly like halfway through the year & then just threw him right into the trenches? Is it completely ridiculous to think that maybe with him actually going through some training camps & preseason games he would be better prepared?

Agreed for the most part. I'm sure that Culpepper with be better off next year if he's coming through camp and not having to use two arm bands to consult from each play.

That said, I'm still a bit leery of his big contact. $7 mill is not low risk/high reward. It's high risk/high reward in my opinion.

Should we hire them based on what they've never done?

Well, you know the Lions. If it's broke, why fix it?

Honestly, how many of the Culpepper games did you watch? I know many of them were blacked out locally. He was really bad. The deep fly to CJ was the only pattern on the entire passing tree that he was able to throw with any success.

And no it's not completely ridiculous to think that maybe he would be better this season. Still, it's not very likely. I'd put it at a 15-20% chance. Good teams don't do things at important positions like QB on the outside shot that what was proven not to work in the past will just suddenly start working now.

Quote:

Originally Posted by MAROTH4MVP

Lets hope not. He regressed last season.

Regressed from what? He has sucked for about 3 years now. How does one regress from suck?

This is my new favorite exchange of all time. :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

Regressed from what? He has sucked for about 3 years now. How does one regress from suck?

see: Detroit Lions

Although they can no longer regress, unless they get shutout more I guess

I hope this doesn't mean Culpepper sticks around, not at his salary. I'm still not sold on the fact that Mayhew signed him to a 2 year deal.

Assuming we go with Stafford, then what do we have next year without Culpepper? Stafford and Stanton?

Culpepper did suck, but he looked like he was physically able to play, which surprised me. Keep Culpepper, even if you don't plan on him starting one game I think you have to give Stafford some type of veteran presence.

If you don't go with Stafford, then we'll need him even more.

Assuming we go with Stafford, then what do we have next year without Culpepper? Stafford and Stanton?

Culpepper did suck, but he looked like he was physically able to play, which surprised me. Keep Culpepper, even if you don't plan on him starting one game I think you have to give Stafford some type of veteran presence.

If you don't go with Stafford, then we'll need him even more.

They can easily pick up a better QB than Culpepper in free agency.

Where are these QBs?

2010 looked like an awful QB class until Bradford decided to come back.

http://www.mlive.com/lions/index.ssf/2009/01/lions_jim_schwartz_downplays_s.html

Lions' Jim Schwartz downplays Scott Linehan-Daunte Culpepper connection

by Tom Kowalski

Friday January 23, 2009, 5:46 PM

New Lions offensive coordinator Scott Linehan coached quarterback Daunte Culpepper for three years when they were with the Minnesota Vikings (2002-04) and they did a lot of damage in the NFL. However, Lions head coach Jim Schwartz downplayed the possibility that that relationship would mean that Culpepper will definitely be back with Detroit next season.

"I think part of the dynamic of a new coaching staff is that you not have those loyalties,'' Schwartz said today. "I think one of the reasons you have turnarounds are you have players who are proving themselves to new coaches and you have coaches that are proving themselves to new players. I don't want that connection. We were very clear that that connection isn't going to necessarily mean we're either keeping or not keeping Daunte."

Culpepper was signed in mid-season last year for the league minimum. The Lions face a decision on Culpepper because he has a $2.5 million roster bonus due on Feb. 27 and that will trigger an additional $2.5 million in salary for the 2009 season.