Johnny Mac

Zetterberg contract in final negotiations

http://blog.mlive.com/snapshots/2009/01/zetterbergs_swedish_agent_esti.html

Reported to be around 10 years roughly $7 million a year and said he was willing to take less to stay in Detroit

Zetterberg agent: New deal could be for 10 years

Posted by George James Malik January 22, 2009 07:42AM

Categories: Top Sports

Aftonbladet's Per Bjurman says that the Swedish state-owned Svergies Radio's Radiosporten awards a listener-chosen trophy called the "Jerringpris" to Sweden's best athlete, and Detroit Red Wings forward Henrik Zetterberg finished ninth in voting, but he expects Zetterberg to earn an award of a different kind in the near future:

January 22, Aftonbladet: Negotiating a record contract

Zäta will receive 60 million [swedish kronor] a year [or appoximately $7,113,221] - for ten years

NHL star Henrik Zetterberg [is in] final negotiatons with Detroit. The new contract could be record-long--10 years.

"It could be 10 years, but it can also swing downwards--if we agree," said Zetterberg's agent Gunnar Svensson.

Since last summer Henrik Zetterberg, 28, has talked with the reigning Stanley Cup champions Detroit Red Wings about a contract extension.

A series of variants [as to] how the new contract should look have existed, but now [it] seems that the parties have agreed that cooperation will continue long - very long.

"A special team"

"If Henrik played in Tampa Bay or Nashville enough contract negotiations would have already been finished. But Detroit is a special team with many expensive players with expiring contracts. Club management must put together a puzzle to keep all their stars," says Gunnar Svensson, Zetterberg's Swedish agent.

Right now Detroit and Henrik Zetterberg are closer than ever.

Everything indicates that there is a long-term contract.

Possibly so long a contract that no Swedish NHL player has had in the past.

Daniel Alfredsson signed a contract of eight years in 2004, which he then broke [ground on] in the fall and negotiated.

But Zetterberg could get ten years from Detroit. One way [for] Detroit General Manager Ken Holland to show for the fans that Zetterberg is a Red Wing forever.

60 million [kronor] a year

"It could sway between 10 years and down to five years or less. But it will be a longer contract, so is my feeling right now. It is a special contract and I estimate that it took 30-40 effective negotiating hours between my partner Marc Levine and Ken Holland to reach a solution," says Gunnar Svensson.

According to a report in the Detroit Free Press [it's beginning] to move closer to the closure of the negotiations. The newspaper speculates that annual wages could end up at $7 million dollars, or 60 million [swedish kronor].

Over ten years, that would be 600 million [kronor] - the largest Swedish NHL contract ever in that instance.

Ken Holland is optimistic that Zetterberg will sign a contract extension soon.

"We have made progress over the last two weeks. There is a bit of work to do, but I am optimistic," said Holland [to the Free Press's Helene St. James].

March 4 is the last day for transactions in the NHL.

The goal, for both Zetterberg and Detroit, is that the new contract will be ready then.

Fantastic, I can't see how Ken Holland will be able to sign Franzen and Hossa though. I think he doesn't mind sinking money into defense, but I can't see how it's possible to have close to 25 million a year going to four forwards.

Fantastic, I can't see how Ken Holland will be able to sign Franzen and Hossa though. I think he doesn't mind sinking money into defense, but I can't see how it's possible to have close to 25 million a year going to four forwards.

That would put them at a little over $45 mil with 15 players signed, anticipated cap is expected to go down to around $55 mil. People also forget Hudler is a restricted free agent and might want a substantial raise.

That would put them at a little over $45 mil with 15 players signed, anticipated cap is expected to go down to around $55 mil. People also forget Hudler is a restricted free agent and might want a substantial raise.

Hudler has made huge strides since the end of last season. He'd better be on this team next year.