cruzer1

*Unconfirmed rumor*

I've never heard that the players didn't respect Marinelli. The players just aren't very good and Marinelli is a bad head coach, he spent all his time worrying about the defensive line.

Mike SMith was a rookie head coach who did pretty well in Atlanta. Same with Sparano in Miami. If you're talented and they give you some good players, you can win in this league. It doesn't matter how much head coaching experience you have.

For Miami I would have more faith in Parcells making a hire compared to Mayhew.

Well, I think their defense will improve, unless this guy is a huge bust. I mean it sounds like a good hire, but you never know until you see the guy as the head coach. I mean who didn't think Bobby Ross was a tremendous hire at the time.

It was on the radio 1270 the day he got canned.

Meh, I don't remember seeing that stuff. Those guys loved Marinelli, hell, half of them were brought in specifically by him! One or two? Sure, but one or two guys on every team are going to disrespect the coach (or any authority figure).

For Miami I would have more faith in Parcells making a hire compared to Mayhew.

Sure, but that doesn't do anything to support your idea that the Lions need a head coach with experience.

Sure, but that doesn't do anything to support your idea that the Lions need a head coach with experience.

That's because there is nothing to support it. Head coaching experience is not a pre-requisite for a turnaround, period, end of story. He's just trying to find anything to trash the Lions. If they hired Bill Cowher, he'd be complaining about hiring a re-tread and how they need to hire somebody to grow with the team.

This is from a NYT article earlier this year and is why Lion fans should be excited:

Schwartz, now the defensive coordinator for the Tennessee Titans, had an economics degree from Georgetown University, an abiding fascination with statistics and a preference for watching game film over television. That made him a kindred spirit with his first N.F.L. boss, Bill Belichick. But when Schwartz told Belichick his findings from an early N.F.L. research project almost 15 years ago, Belichick said he did not believe him.

“Fumbles are a random occurrence,” Schwartz said he told Belichick. “Being able to get interceptions or not throw interceptions has a high correlation with good teams. But over the course of a year, good teams don’t fumble any more or less than bad teams. Bill didn’t agree. He said, ‘No, good teams don’t fumble the ball.’ But actually, they fumble just as often as bad teams.”

-----

With the Titans, Schwartz once encouraged the former offensive coordinator Norm Chow to run more on third-and-short because his research indicated that it was more effective than passing.

-----

Schwartz has met with the developers of a computer program to analyze difficult play-calling decisions, and he has watched film with Aaron Schatz, an author of “Pro Football Prospectus,” who uses unusual statistics to analyze the game. But at the same time, Schwartz shuns the impression that creates, stressing that statistics are just another tool in game preparation.

That's because there is nothing to support it. Head coaching experience is not a pre-requisite for a turnaround, period, end of story. He's just trying to find anything to trash the Lions. If they hired Bill Cowher, he'd be complaining about hiring a re-tread and how they need to hire somebody to grow with the team.

We don't know anything about a first timer, except a lot of them fail. With an experienced head coach we do have a better idea of what the team will get.

I don't want to rain on the kool-aid drinking parade, but Jeff Fisher is the reason for the Tennessee Titans success. If we were hiring him, I'd be excited.

R.I.P. Jim Schwartz 1962-2009

Really? Come on, this is just totally unnecessary!

I like the hire very much, and I like what I keep reading about the guy. Now lets see who they bring in as the offensive coordinator and defensive coordinator, and what they do on draft day... Very important days are coming for the Detroit Lions organization, and I wish them the best of luck!

R.I.P. Jim Schwartz 1962-2009

Come on guys. He's having a little fun. And it's not that far off. Who has been hired as a head coach again after being hired by the Ford family?

History suggests he's right - not wrong.

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/story/11263772

DETROIT -- The Detroit Lions have agreed on a four-year deal with Tennessee defensive coordinator Jim Schwartz to be their coach.

The team announced the hiring Thursday. Schwartz will attempt to lead a turnaround for the NFL's first 0-16 team. The Lions fired Rod Marinelli two weeks ago and interviewed several candidates, including Dolphins assistant head coach Todd Bowles.

The 42-year-old Schwartz just finished his eighth season as the Titans defensive coordinator and his 10th on their staff. He interviewed for a second time with the Lions on Monday.

ESPN first reported the hiring.“After an extensive search that included several highly-qualified coaches, we are thrilled that Jim Schwartz will become our team’s head coach," team president Tom Lewand said on Lions.com. "Martin (Mayhew) and I believe that Jim’s qualifications and vision will lead this organization on the field toward our goal of becoming a championship football team.”

I love the Kelly Services reference, Dave.

I'd say it was supposed to be funny, but I think it's probably true in a lot of cases. Millen was that bad.

Come on guys. He's having a little fun. And it's not that far off. Who has been hired as a head coach again after being hired by the Ford family?

Yeah, but Dave, we have enough negativity -- and rightfully so -- in so many other Lions threads... Can't we have one that's somewhat optimistic?

Marty Morninwheg - Imbecile (deer in the headlights)

Steve Mariucci - Too soft (overly conservative)

Rod Marinelli - Too stubborn (not very bright)

Jim Schwartz - Intelligent (sarcastic - another sign of intelligence)

I'm cautiously optimistic. Hopefully he has a "my way or the high way" demeanor and follows through on it.

browsing around on his wiki, read the first line and the end of the second paragraph.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jim_Schwartz

This is at the bottom currently...

If you ask Eruff24, he says that it was the turnovers that cost the Titans the game against the Ravens. Then in another thread, he said that it was the Titans D that lost the game for the Titans.

Really? Come on, this is just totally unnecessary!

I like the hire very much, and I like what I keep reading about the guy. Now lets see who they bring in as the offensive coordinator and defensive coordinator, and what they do on draft day... Very important days are coming for the Detroit Lions organization, and I wish them the best of luck!

Ditto!

and free bump!

Yeah, but Dave, we have enough negativity -- and rightfully so -- in so many other Lions threads... Can't we have one that's somewhat optimistic?

The lions have a shot to win a game next year... Or even two!! That's more than a quadrillion times more wins than this year!

Seriously, it was a good hire IMO. There was little chance of getting a Ron Rivera or Bill Cowher in the first place, so let's see what this guy can do

I don't want to rain on the kool-aid drinking parade, but Jeff Fisher is the reason for the Tennessee Titans success. If we were hiring him, I'd be excited.

Bill Belichick is the reason for the Patriots success and yet everyone who's ever worked for the Patriots has been getting a job around the NFL, that's how things work