cruzer1

*Unconfirmed rumor*

But very likely possible. It seems the Lions will announce Jim Schwartz tommorrow. I will look for confirmation.

http://www.mlive.com/lions/index.ssf/2009/01/lions_silence_likely_means_tha.html

Lions' silence likely means that something is brewing

by Tom Kowalski | Opinion

Thursday January 15, 2009, 1:08 PM

It's way too quiet.

There is nothing -- absolutely nothing -- coming out of Allen Park today and my suspicion is that the Lions are putting the final touches on securing a new head coach. I have no hard knowledge of this, but I've seen this before -- the quiet before the storm.

Consider that the Lions moved very rapidly when a couple of their candidates (Jim Schwartz and Ron Rivera) became free over the weekend -- holding interviews Monday, Tuesday and Wednesday. Now it's Thursday and nothing is going on. Reports are that two other possible candidates haven't been contacted recently -- Vikings defensive coordinator Leslie Frazier and Giants defensive coordinator Steve Spagnuolo.

It's possible that the Lions have made their decision and negotiations are already underway. An announcement could come later this afternoon or tomorrow. Again, I haven't been able to get any confirmation on that yet but I do know this -- it's way too quiet in Allen Park today.

Stay tuned.

Trading Roy Williams for 3 draft picks and hiring Jim Schwartz. Can't complain about what management has done since Millen was fired.

Trading Roy Williams for 3 draft picks and hiring Jim Schwartz. Can't complain about what management has done since Millen was fired.

Do Not Drink the Cool-aid. It could be toxic.

+1, I was disappointing that they didnt look for an outside hire when looking at a GM, but you cant really complain with what Mayhew has done so far.

Hopefully they can get Schwartz and then get a personnel guy to come in.

The personnel guy might have to wait until after the draft, when those that are currently under contract become available.

The personnel guy might have to wait until after the draft, when those that are currently under contract become available.

So I hear. This is a pretty important draft not to have a personnel guy.

We shall see what they do. If they hire Schwartz, that'll be two good things for the current regime, which puts them one up on the old regime (strangely enough, both had pretty good trades that involved Roy Williams).

Someone hired from Kelly Services would've been better than we've had in the past.

I do like the fact the guy has a defensive background and has had some success with the Titans. Hopefully, they'll follow this with a draft that shows an imposed will and allow us to see what they think they need to do to be successful.

I heard and read the same glowing optimism when Marinelli was hired. We don't know anything about Schwartz and will not until he coaches.

The Lions could have done better, that is if Cruzer's "unconfirmed but very likely possible" source is indeed correct.

I heard and read the same glowing optimism when Marinelli was hired. We don't know anything about Schwartz and will not until he coaches.

The Lions could have done better, that is if Cruzer's "unconfirmed but very likely possible" source is indeed correct.

Well, the advantage that Schwartz has is that he has been a coordinator for 9 years and learned under a very stable and solid head coach in Jeff Fisher on how to organize. The head coach of a team is more of an administrator than a "coach" and that's where Marinelli failed.

There goes any possibility of the Lions having a successful draft - especially since Lewand will make the picks and WCF will likely meddle.

We know more about Schwartz now than Marinelli three years ago. If not, check the thread on him. There's plenty of information in there about him and his philosophies.

FWIW, I wanted Schwartz last time.

Agreed, Marinelli never had the players respect. Not sure the players will respect Schwartz either. This is a team that just went 0-16 they need a coach that has head coaching experience in the NFL. Schwartz will be learning on the job and with an 0-16 team that's pretty scary.

Agreed, Marinelli never had the players respect. Not sure the players will respect Schwartz either. This is a team that just went 0-16 they need a coach that has head coaching experience in the NFL. Schwartz will be learning on the job and with an 0-16 team that's pretty scary.

Marinelli had the player's respect, he just couldn't coach worth a hill of beans.

Nobody knew who the hell Marinelli was. Schwartz has experience managing a scheme, he's pretty well known, and we weren't the only team interested this time around. Plus he has experience actually evaluating talent. He's much more qualified and prepared to be head coach than Marinelli was.

I've never heard that the players didn't respect Marinelli. The players just aren't very good and Marinelli is a bad head coach, he spent all his time worrying about the defensive line.

Mike SMith was a rookie head coach who did pretty well in Atlanta. Same with Sparano in Miami. If you're talented and they give you some good players, you can win in this league. It doesn't matter how much head coaching experience you have.

Marinelli had the player's respect, he just couldn't coach worth a hill of beans.

Listening to comments from players when he was canned the prevailing theme from players "he just couldn't get us to buy in." That tells me the players didn't like him that much.

Listening to comments from players when he was canned the prevailing theme from players "he just couldn't get us to buy in." That tells me the players didn't like him that much.

What quotes were these?

Well Jim Schwartz should make an assesment from day 1. If they don't respect them - goodbye. That's what Parcells would do. Don't buy into my program, there's the door, I'll get someone off the scrap heap that totally buys into it and wants to play and I'll win with them. The Dolphins replaced 29 of 53 players in Tuna's first year - look at the result. Can't make them any worse. As far as I'm concerned any player that was here before Ernie Sims should be sent packing. None of them are worth keeping. Sorry Jeff, sorry Dom, Sorry Corey. See ya later! Ernie had a bad year, but he had no support in front of him, behind him or around him. Ernie Sims, Leigh Bodden and Cliff Avril about about all that's worth keeping on the defense.

We know Schwartz has run a very successful defense in Tennessee.

More importantly, we know he's a Georgetown grad who uses statistical analysis and consults with football prospectus in devising game plans.

That's pretty darn exciting.

I heard and read the same glowing optimism when Marinelli was hired.

Not so much on this site...I reread a couple of the Marinelli-was-hired threads and it didn't sound like most of the folks were that familiar with him. Mostly the thread was peppered with Millen jokes and comments like "welcome to the last HC job you'll ever have, Rod." Euphdude even had an official "How Marinelli will meet his end thread?" Ironically, while all the submissions in that thread were meant to be comically over-the-top, none were as bad as his eventual real end (with the possible exception of "eaten by wolves.")

-Tony