Sign in to follow this  
Doctor Detroit

Ty Cobb interview from 1930

The voice of a true baseball god, the first time I've ever heard it. What an incredibly fascinating man. I'm certainly not worthy of my moniker.

Really cool to hear that. Really, really scripted. One wonders what sort of trouble he could have gotten himself into if it hadn't been scripted.

Really cool to hear that. Really, really scripted. One wonders what sort of trouble he could have gotten himself into if it hadn't been scripted.

I don't think Ty Cobb did anything scripted.

I don't think Ty Cobb did anything scripted.

He pretty obviously had his answers prepared, I thought.

I liked the little plug for Nap Lajoie in there who I think is the 2nd best 2nd basemen to ever play. If Ty Cobb said he was the best line drive hitter he'd ever seen, pretty sure Nap Lajoie was one of the best line drive hitters ever.

He pretty obviously had his answers prepared, I thought.

I'm not so sure, he was a very smart man. He could easily sound like his answers were prepared, but just be that concise and eloquent on the spot.

That was awesome. I'm also not sure it was scripted. Cobb was very intelligent. Plus, he was probably asked the same questions many times.

What I have heard of him revealed him to be very loyal to his pals, thus the Lajoie plug.

I concur with Lee, he was very bright. Made a ton of money and not from baseball. He did it in business.

Too many folks equate racist with stupid - the two don't necessarily go hand in hand. Look into William Shockley for an example.

Too many folks equate racist with stupid - the two don't necessarily go hand in hand. Look into William Shockley for an example.

Also, I don't think Cobb was really more racist than most people in those days. I think his combative nature just made him more outspoken about it. If you read Tom Stanton's book on Ruth and Cobb, you'll see that Cobb actually treated some blacks quite well (by that era's standards).

It's funny to hear him talk about how he'd try different plays when his team was ahead by five or more runs so the next time they played the other team might rush a throw in a close game and cause a mistake. He wasn't just planning ahead for a play or two but he was planning ahead for a game or two.

Thanks for posting that link.

Has Lajoie's swing been recorded on video?

I've been thinking about trying to adapt Rogers Hornsby's swing for softball, but would love to see Nap's.

Has Lajoie's swing been recorded on video?

I've been thinking about trying to adapt Rogers Hornsby's swing for softball, but would love to see Nap's.

Wockenfuss batting style works great for softball.

Wockenfuss batting style works great for softball.
I used to do the Trammell (closed with some crouch), and that worked pretty good. I'm losing power, so now I'm going to just try for the most level swing possible!

"It’s no pink tea, and mollycoddles had better stay out."

It would've been sweet to hear him say that in the interview!

Cool stuff! The three pitchers he said gave him the most trouble are guys I'd never heard of before.