THECATMAC

If the Lions do take a quarterback with the first pick.....

If the Lions do draft a QB with the first pick, which would you like to see them get?  

94 members have voted

1. 1. If the Lions do draft a QB with the first pick, which would you like to see them get?

• Oklahoma QB Sam Bradford
    • Georgia QB Matt Stafford

and this matters why? Is aikmens talent going to rub off on him.

I didn't say it mattered in any way......relax.......just a fact, that's all............

I didn't say it mattered in any way......relax.......just a fact, that's all............
sorry I was just trying to be funny, no harm meant

"Stafford said he leaned heavily on the advice of his numerous NFL contacts. John Stafford, Matthew’s father, said his son consulted the Kansas City Chiefs’ Mike Hagen, a friend of the family, as well as neighbor Troy Aikman and current NFL quarterbacks Peyton Manning and Jay Cutler about his decision. He also talked to Richt and offensive coordinator Mike Bobo at Georgia."

it's just that first half against msu, maybe i'm a little gun shy about quarterbacks,(long,ware,harrington) we just have a bad history,and I wouldn't want to take a QB that high when we need so many other things,plus I think we can get a Qb latter in the draft(maybe sanchez,tebow,danials)

Next year will be a bust, new coaching staff, shuffling of players. We won't get an instant fix with any pick. Take your franchise QB and have him grow with the new system. There are only 2 possible picks here I believe, as does many draft guru's on many nfl draft sites.

Can't wait for tonights game, but the combine will tell the tale. I think these guys need the combine to tell which is best........look at the poll here so far, no clear winner and we are all genius's!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I'm beginning to think that Colt McCoy may very well be the best of the bunch. I don't know what his arm strength is, but he's accurate, he's mobile, & I love his leadership.

He throws five yard dump passes to wide open receivers who do all the work from there. I'm not sure what people see.

I go to MSU, I watched every single Spartan game, and a #1 pick in the NFL should have torn apart our secondary. Demolished it. Stafford seemingly has all the tools, but hasn't made all the throws (but is that because he hasn't had to?) and hasn't performed to his level of talent, IMO.

Bradford, on the other hand, has been playing over his head. Having TWO 1,000 yard guys and the best offensive line in CF will make ME look like a first round pick. However, he's accurate and smart, and probably could thrive in the right offense.

I'd take Stafford if I MUST have a franchise QB, because he seems like a Jay Cutler/future of the team type of player, while Bradford reminds me more of a Chad Pennington/game manager.

I go to MSU, I watched every single Spartan game, and a #1 pick in the NFL should have torn apart our secondary. Demolished it. Stafford seemingly has all the tools, but hasn't made all the throws (but is that because he hasn't had to?) and hasn't performed to his level of talent, IMO.

Bradford, on the other hand, has been playing over his head. Having TWO 1,000 yard guys and the best offensive line in CF will make ME look like a first round pick. However, he's accurate and smart, and probably could thrive in the right offense.

I'd take Stafford if I MUST have a franchise QB, because he seems like a Jay Cutler/future of the team type of player, while Bradford reminds me more of a Chad Pennington/game manager.

Yes, he has made all the throws. And I thought he demolished the MSU secondary in the 2nd half.

And I thought he demolished the MSU secondary in the 2nd half.

And you'd be correct.

taken from nfl.com

Picking a QB in first round usually pays off

Posted: Adam Schefter |

It is a quarterback-driven league. We’re reminded of it again and again. And the quarterbacks still standing validate it.

Look at the eight remaining teams and eight remaining quarterbacks: Arizona’s Kurt Warner, Baltimore’s Joe Flacco, Carolina’s Jake Delhomme, New York’s Eli Manning, Philadelphia’s Donovan McNabb, Pittsburgh’s Ben Roethlisberger, San Diego’s Philip Rivers, Tennessee’s Kerry Collins.

Six were first-round draft picks, and two –- Warner and Delhomme –- were undrafted free agents that were teammates on the Amsterdam Admirals.

But this ratio is no different in recent years. Since 2002, 31 of the 56 divisional round quarterbacks were first-round picks.

And even more enlightening, of the 17 teams to make the divisional round in back-to-back years, 14 had quarterbacks who were first-round draft picks.

The only teams that went to back-to-back divisional round playoff games that did not have quarterbacks drafted in the first round were New England with Tom Brady, Seattle with Matthew Hasslebeck and St. Louis with Marc Bulger.

It’s a quarterback league. And without one, a team is sunk.

As of today, I don't want Sam Bradford at all anymore... Give me Stafford, if we're taking a QB, which seems to be the way things are going...

I hope one pulls away from this after the combine, but Bradford might be best to stay another year at college.

Anybody think any of the big 3 (assuming Bradford, Sanchez leave) will be available for the Lions 2nd 1st round pick? That's the way I'd go. None of these guys are worthy of 1st overall, but I'd take them later on.

Anybody think any of the big 3 (assuming Bradford, Sanchez leave) will be available for the Lions 2nd 1st round pick? That's the way I'd go. None of these guys are worthy of 1st overall, but I'd take them later on.

I beg to differ. I'd either take them #1 (Sanchez is the only one who could fall) or not at all. If the Lions don't take a QB with the first pick, they'll regret it.

Not with Buffalo, Jacksonville, Seattle (dumping Hasslebeck, last I heard), and St. Louis (would go for Stafford if Detroit passes) all sitting there in between.

I beg to differ. I'd either take them #1 (Sanchez is the only one who could fall) or not at all. If the Lions don't take a QB with the first pick, they'll regret it.

What? You'll put a horse head in their bed? :cheeky:

Not with Buffalo, Jacksonville, Seattle (dumping Hasslebeck, last I heard), and St. Louis (would go for Stafford if Detroit passes) all sitting there in between.

If all these teams end up wanting a QB(through the draft), and IF Bradford stays in school we might get some offers. With McCoy staying in school, along with Tebow there would only be 2 qb's worthy, in my opinion, of a first round pick(Stafford and Sanchez) and Sanchez might not come out. So if Bradford stays in school i think we could get some offers from a couple of these teams for the #1 pick

But Trent Dilf...! 8 years ago...! Defense wins champ....! Cliche...!

Trent Dilfer wasn't that good as an NFL QB, but he was drafted in the first round.

So if Bradford stays in school i think we could get some offers from a couple of these teams for the #1 pick

If a team is willing to trade their draft for the first overall pick, the Lions should take the offer. The probability of a trade happening is probably less than one percent.