THECATMAC

If the Lions do take a quarterback with the first pick.....

If the Lions do draft a QB with the first pick, which would you like to see them get?  

94 members have voted

1. 1. If the Lions do draft a QB with the first pick, which would you like to see them get?

• Oklahoma QB Sam Bradford
    • Georgia QB Matt Stafford

Or...

We resign Orlovsky; or cut Culpepper but sign him at a lower rate; or we draft Sanchez/Davis/Bomar/Harrell etc.

Most people who don't want Stafford/Bradford realize we need a quarterback. They just don't believe either of those persons are the top athlete available.

Yes, those are options, keeping the status-quo with no projected hope for the future at the QB position. Pretty grim.

Stafford didn't look like someone who handled pressure very well. But it's just one game, maybe he looked better in other games.

The MSU game was a pretty accurate summation of Stafford. Phenomenal at times, terrible at other times. He looked pretty poor against Florida this season, mediocre-to-poor against Alabama, South Carolina, Tennessee and Vanderbilt. Looked great against Kentucky, Georgia Tech and LSU (both Tech and Kentucky had strong defenses). It's certainly true that his second-half performance against State won the game, but it's also true he only needed that second half performance because of how bad he was in the first half. His '07 numbers were pretty similar to his '08 year, with the possible exception being his big-game performance against Florida and maybe a couple more "terrible" performances. I think that Florida win was the biggest win of his career.

He's a guy with a strong arm that's experienced playing in the pro-style system (which is a big plus). He's also a guy scouts have loved since coming out of high school. Stafford was a five star recruit according to both rivals and scout.com -- Bradford was a three star recruit according to rivals and a four star according to scout. The bottom line for me: He should be "in the conversation" for the number one pick...But -- because of his inconsistancies at the college level -- I don't think that conversation should be over at this point. I'd also add that being "inconsistant" at the college level isn't a huge deal. Most guys are inconsistant to some degree. But for a guy to be a slam-dunk number one, and given the talent Stafford's had at UGA, I'd liked to have seen a bit more.

-Tony

I have heard from a good source that a few scouts that were at the UGA/Mich St game stated that Stafford should stay in school. Even MSU gave him trouble..

I have heard from a good source that a few scouts that were at the UGA/Mich St game stated that Stafford should stay in school. Even MSU gave him trouble..

Most people will say that generally, but he's a bonafide top 5 pick right now; there's no way he shouldn't come out. He could risk an injury that could affect his draft status. Ideally, the Lions would pick him, play him often in the preseason, then allow him to start in his second season.

Why would he do that? He's a guaranteed top 5 pick and the NFL is going to lock the players out in two years. It makes zero sense for him not to come out this year.

Everyone who might get drafted should come out this year.

he bonafide because the draft in qbs blow this year.. not saying he isn't a top 5, but the choices are very limited this year

he bonafide because the draft in qbs blow this year.. not saying he isn't a top 5, but the choices are very limited this year

I disagree. He is the best prospect since Jay Cutler, and is the best prospect in college right now. There won't be much left over if he and Bradford come out this year.

I disagree. He is the best prospect since Jay Cutler, and is the best prospect in college right now. There won't be much left over if he and Bradford come out this year.

That's a little shortsighted, especially considering people didn't expect this class (besides Stafford) to be this good.

McCoy, Clausen, Zac Robinson and Snead are all be future 1st day picks. Meanwhile if Tebow/Sanchez/Davis decide to stay that class could be as good if not better.

In addition there are even more QBs on a second tier who could have good seasons and jump into the top two rounds-- Clark (Penn St), Kaepernick (Nevada) and Ryan Mallett could all take a step up and be drafted early.

The interceptions at the end of year killed him, but the dude was a five star recruit and the top rated pro-style QB when he committed to Notre Dame.

Does Jimmy Clausen really project well as a pro?

All the physical tools. Good build. Similar numbers (although not as good this year) similar levels of talent around them (although not as good as Stafford).

Clausen has been a top prospect for a while and with a good season could easily be a first round pick.

15. Matthew Stafford, Georgia 215/352 3209 61.1% 9.1/a 22TD 9INT 15sks 153.17

67. Jimmy Clausen, N Dame 246/414 2771 59.4% 6.7/a 20TD 17INT 20sks 123.37

Max Hall (Junior-BYU), Chase Keenum (Sophomore-Houston) also had breakout seasons this year and both ranked higher as passers than Stafford (Bradford led the nation in passer rating.)

Putting up good numbers in NCAA means very little when projecting to the pros. It is a lot more important HOW you put up those numbers. Otherwise Kliff Kingsbury would be a Pro Bowler.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kliff_Kingsbury

College

Kingsbury played collegiately for the Texas Tech Red Raiders from 1998-2002. He assumed the starting role in 2000, starting in 39 games between 2000 and 2002.

Kingsbury played 43 games as a collegian, completing 1,231 of 1,883 passes for 12,429 yards and 95 touchdowns and 40 interceptions for Texas Tech University. He finished his career as the school's most decorated player. He left Texas Tech as the owner of 39 school records, 13 Big Twelve Conference and seven NCAA 1-A records and is only the third player in college football history to throw for over 10,000 yards, gain over 10,000 yards in total offense and complete over 1,000 passes in a career. He also became just the fourth player in college football annals to throw for over 3,000 yards three times during his career.

As a senior he was awarded the Sammy Baugh Trophy, annually presented to the nation's best college quarterback. He was also selected Verizon/CoSIDA Academic All-American and Player of the Year as well as being a unanimous All-Big Twelve Conference first-team pick and named the Associated Press' Offensive Player of the Year after a season during which he shattered his own school single-season records as he completed 479 of 712 passes (67.3 percent) for 5,017 yards, 45 touchdowns and just 13 interceptions. He also added two rushing scores on 102 carries.

He averaged 350.2 yards per game and his 45 touchdown passes nearly doubled his previous season's mark.

He held 39 school, 13 Big 12 and seven NCAA records at the time of his graduation.

Pro

2003 & 2004 (NFL)

Kingsbury, 6-3, 213-pounds, was selected by the New England Patriots in the sixth round of the 2003 Draft with the 201st overall selection. He spent his rookie season of 2003 on the Patriots' injured reserve list with an arm injury and was waived by the Pats on September 6, 2004 and subsequently was signed to the New Orleans Saints' practice squad, where he spent the entire 2004 season. He went to training camp with the Saints this season and completed 10-of-21 passes for 139 yards with a long of 57 yards and two interceptions.

2005 (NFL)

The 26-year old native of San Antonio, TX was signed to the Denver Broncos' practice squad on Sept. 6, 2005 and was released on Sept. 21, 2005. As a Free agent he signed with the New York Jets on September 28, 2005.[2]

Kingsbury made his NFL debut in the fourth quarter of a game against the Denver Broncos on November 20, 2005, while a member of the New York Jets.

2006 (NFL/NFLE)

The New York Jets assigned Kingsbury to the Cologne Centurions of NFL Europe in 2006. He posted the top quarterback rating of any Cologne quarterback (73.7) while completing 58 of 102 passes for 633 yards and two touchdowns. He also led Cologne with a 56.9 completion percentage. Kingsbury was subsequently signed by the Buffalo Bills and attended training camp with the Bills, but did not see any regular season action with the team in 2006.[1]

2007 (CFL)

On March 30, 2007, Kingsbury signed with the Montréal Alouettes. He spent part of training camp in Montréal before being traded to the Winnipeg Blue Bombers on June 20 in exchange for quarterback Brad Banks.

AAFL career

Kliff is listed on the Team Texas Roster for the All American Football League.

I didn't say that the above would be good NFL QBs, I did however say that they could factor in the conversation.

Guys I listed first like McCoy etc will be top prospects.

That's a little shortsighted, especially considering people didn't expect this class (besides Stafford) to be this good.

McCoy, Clausen, Zac Robinson and Snead are all be future 1st day picks. Meanwhile if Tebow/Sanchez/Davis decide to stay that class could be as good if not better.

In addition there are even more QBs on a second tier who could have good seasons and jump into the top two rounds-- Clark (Penn St), Kaepernick (Nevada) and Ryan Mallett could all take a step up and be drafted early.

None of whom you listed is as good as Stafford. Although I do like Snead a whole lot. He's also been very inconsistant, but I can see that he's very talented. If he was in this draft, he'd be neck and neck with Bradford in my eyes. But he's not ready.

Could-be-greats and Should-be-readies are nice discussion conversations but THIS draft is the one the Lions will build the future on and that means Stafford or Bradford for the 1st pick. If neither come out - the best combine player.

I chose Stafford out of the two QB's listed.

I still cringe every time I think about how we could have had Drew Brees here.

Are you kidding? This projects to be a great QB class. Assuming most, if not all of the expected juniors come out, it'll be a great QB class.

After watching parts of the State game (specifically, the parts during the commericals and intermissions during the Wings game) and after perusing this thread, my vote goes to Bradford. Stafford seemed to have a few of those side-armish zingers that pro d-lines won't let you get away with.

Meanwhile, let me toss another name out there, perhaps as a 2.1 or 3.1 possibility: Brian Johnson?

Are you kidding? This projects to be a great QB class. Assuming most, if not all of the expected juniors come out, it'll be a great QB class.

if is a big word..

What's interesting about the class is that there are five potential first rounders, and they all have college eligibility left. With Stafford declared, that leaves Bradford, McCoy, Sanchez, and Tebow to think about it (that's my order of likely selection, although I think Bradford could pass Stafford).

Their choices will depend on three things:

1) their pre-decision grading. Only Tebow has much to worry here, but with a Heisman and possibly 2 national championships, why stay?

2) the number of teams likely to go qb in the first. Vikes are definite, Lions and Bills are probable, and lets call the Seahawks, Jets, Jags, and Bucs "very possible."

3) what the others do. I think Bradford and Tebow will joins Stafford on their own terms, which narrows the window for Sanchez and McCoy (who'd get drafted ahead of Tebow if he declares). They may have to try to out-think one another.

Thing #4 is their chances of winning the BCS next year. It might be a consideration for Sanchez (whose Trojans I think will be the preseason #1), but public utterances aside, I seriously doubt this matters much.

Meanwhile, I also think there is depth in this draft. The second day could produce a future Pro-Bowler or two from the likes of Daniel of Mizzou, Teel of Rutgers, or Johnson of Utah.

If sanchez comes out I like him better than both of the fords, and if tebow comes out I'd rather pick him up in the 2nd or below depending on how he grades out,he's aproven winner. bradford for some reason reminds me of harrington, just a little bit better.

I'm beginning to think that Colt McCoy may very well be the best of the bunch. I don't know what his arm strength is, but he's accurate, he's mobile, & I love his leadership.