THECATMAC

If the Lions do take a quarterback with the first pick.....

If the Lions do draft a QB with the first pick, which would you like to see them get?  

94 members have voted

1. 1. If the Lions do draft a QB with the first pick, which would you like to see them get?

• Oklahoma QB Sam Bradford
    • Georgia QB Matt Stafford

With the quality at QB, one could argue that Smith could be the #1 pick and they could still land Stafford or Bradford at the Cowboys pick. I'd take Bradford and Smith over just Stafford. Depends what happens at the draft, and i'm still hoping that Mayhew has recalculated new intivetee's into camp.

Typically QBs with that kind of talent don't last until pick 20. I know Brady Quinn fell a couple of years ago, but that seems to be the exception & not the rule. If I had my choice I'd like to see the Lions move down to about pick 7 or 8 & get some extra picks, but it takes two.

Typically QBs with that kind of talent don't last until pick 20. I know Brady Quinn fell a couple of years ago, but that seems to be the exception & not the rule. If I had my choice I'd like to see the Lions move down to about pick 7 or 8 & get some extra picks, but it takes two.

Very true, I was just pointing out that Cleveland was able to pull it off in a draft without a ton of potential first round QB's. You could just as easily argue the opposite of me that if Bradford and Stafford are taken very early, that you could have a run on some other QB's earlier than expected as well.

I will say that I would have no problem with the Lions lowering the currently set demands of a #1 pick and getting some additional picks out of it while dropping 5-10 spots.

Don't know if this has been posted before but it makes some good points in Stafford's favor and this seems like the appropriate thread.

http://walterfootball.com/mattblog.php

Posted Dec. 26, 2008

Why Matt Stafford is now my No. 1 player

Before the season, you would be hard pressed to find someone more hard on Matt Stafford than I. Most people praised Matt and anointed him as the No. 1 pick in the Draft despite the fact that he never threw for 300 yards in a game in his career. I had a major problem with this because Stafford never showed me consistency or production.

This year, after watching four of his games and taping two, I have come around to the Stafford bandwagon. His production has gone up in a tough defensive conference. He threw for more than 250 yards in seven games this year, and eclipsed 300 yards in three games. He improved his touchdown-to-interception ratio to 2.4:1.

You can look at Stafford and still say he is inaccurate and too much of a gunslinger throwing the ball into double coverage too often, but if you do that, you are not looking at what is being asked of Stafford.

I discovered an intriguing trend in Georgia's offensive design: It calls for virtually no short to intermediate routes in the passing game. Think Mike Martz with less shotgun. Stafford's only options downfield are into coverage, and that is the reason for so many of his interceptions. Once Stafford gets into a more traditional West Coast offense in the NFL, his completion percentage will go up and he will have easier options to throw the ball.

I learned this lesson because I made a huge mistake on Matt Ryan. I said Ryan did not deserve to go in the top five because of his issues with accuracy and decision making. Ryan made the excuse that he was asked to be an aggressive passer, but I was not buying it. After all, how am I supposed to know what the coaches are telling Ryan? He could just be another player making another excuse (maybe he got advice from Tony Romo).

Maybe I should have done more research in Ryan's options regarding routes and checkdowns, but I did not, and I vowed to never make that mistake again.

I am not saying Stafford is the No. 1 player on my board or the No. 1 quarterback, surpassing Sam Bradford, just because I messed up on Ryan. I just believe Stafford's arm strength is too elite to pass up and he has a lot of experience in a difficult offense to operate in the SEC. Sure, I would prefer better statistics, but there are plenty of college quarterbacks without a chance in the NFL who have great numbers.

So what are my thoughts now on Bradford? I do not see him committing because he is a sophomore, but considering the money top 10 picks garner, it would be hard to pass up. I certainly would go into the draft if I were Bradford.

If Bradford does declare, St. Louis, Kansas City, and Seattle might take a chance on him in the top eight. There are rumors of Marc Bulger and Matt Hasselbeck being released. San Francisco might consider trading up.

I will also say I do not see any chance Bradford goes before Stafford. Bradford is getting all of the hype because he won the Heisman. I still think he is worthy of a top five pick because his accuracy and decision making is unparalled in college football, but his arm strength is just above average, and his upside does not come close to Stafford's. That is why JaMarcus Russell was chosen over Brady Quinn, and that is why Stafford will go ahead of Bradford on Draft Day.

As an OU fan I am of course partial to Bradford. He can make all the throws[...]

This is one thing I am not sure of with Bradford. I need to find tape where he's asked to throw 15-20 yard outs, quickly. I definitely prefer Stafford and think he's the best player in the draft. I'd grade him similar to Eli Manning (and higher than every QB prospect since E. Manning)

Well watching this Michigan State - Georgia game, it looks like Stafford can tackle the DB after he throws an INT. That will be useful playing for the Lions.

Well watching this Michigan State - Georgia game, it looks like Stafford can tackle the DB after he throws an INT. That will be useful playing for the Lions.

Wasn't that a dropped pass by the receiver that led to the interception?

Wasn't that a dropped pass by the receiver that led to the interception?

The easy short pass was thrown behind the receiver and was a bullet so I'm not faulting the receiver. This was definitely one that Stafford should hit his WR in route and ease it in and not throw 90mph to a WR 7 yards away.

Dude, that INT was so not even close to being Stafford's fault .. CJ will catch that all day, the ball was passed perfectly .. the WR mucked up!

Dude, that INT was so not even close to being Stafford's fault .. CJ will catch that all day, the ball was passed perfectly .. the WR mucked up!

CJ will... none of the other WR on the Lions would.

The easy short pass was thrown behind the receiver and was a bullet so I'm not faulting the receiver.

lol - it wasn't thrown behind him, first of all .. the ball was thrown to his hands, he tipped the ball up -- THE WR -- which lead to the EASY INT :)

CJ will... none of the other WR on the Lions would.

True.

We need to get another WR that can, being that I think our WR core, besides CJ .. is crap. Pretty ironic, we need WRs after years of drafting 'em.

lol - it wasn't thrown behind him, first of all .. the ball was thrown to his hands, he tipped the ball up -- THE WR -- which lead to the EASY INT :)

Did we watch the same play? It wasn't an ugly pass but it's not a pro-caliber QB throw. The throw was behind the receiver.

Sorry Benke, It was indeed thrown to his back shoulder.

The receiver was running a crossing route and had to turn backwards for the pass. The pass was tipped upwards because the receiver didn't get his hands up fast enough.

It was a catchable ball...but its also a ball that should be thrown in front of the receiver.

Did we watch the same play? It wasn't an ugly pass but it's not a pro-caliber QB throw. The throw was behind the receiver.

I don't think it was much behind him, though I'll agree that he didn't have to zip it so fast, I'll give you that. I've yet to see Stafford take a lil off his throw.

Sorry Benke, It was indeed thrown to his back shoulder.

Okay, well you trump Ranger, so I guess I just saw the play wrong -- my bad!

It was a catchable ball...

This is very true. Again, I have yet to see Stafford take a little of his speed of his throw, which would have made that pass easier to catch, I'd say.

Okay, well you trump Ranger, so I guess I just saw the play wrong -- my bad!

This is very true. Again, I have yet to see Stafford take a little of his speed of his throw, which would have made that pass easier to catch, I'd say.

Indeed. I've always stated that my problem with Stafford is not that he can't make all the throws. Its that a lot of the balls he throws are catchable but not as accurate as I'd like.

Right now Stafford is 5/8 for 64 yards INT. I don't know what the exact YAC for the receivers/Moreno is--but its big. The completions were (mostly) pin point. But one of the incompletions was an interception and the other was a receiver missed high in the endzone.

Indeed. I've always stated that my problem with Stafford is not that he can't make all the throws. Its that a lot of the balls he throws are catchable but not as accurate as I'd like.

Right now Stafford is 5/8 for 64 yards INT. I don't know what the exact YAC for the receivers/Moreno is--but its big. The completions were (mostly) pin point. But one of the incompletions was an interception and the other was a receiver missed high in the endzone.

The INT was a dropped pass. He hasn't been as sharp as he usually is, though.

The INT was a dropped pass. He hasn't been as sharp as he usually is, though.

Dude, I have watched him all year... This is basically how he is :tired:

He's not this bad -- I agree, but he needs to learn to take a little off on those short passes.

Stafford looks terrible. Everyone on that team looks like they couldn't care less.

Right now, I'll go for the more accurate one over the more talented one. Historically, that's what it takes in the NFL. So, my vote is for Bradford.

Can I take my vote back?

Great arm, great release..what else..

McCoy has 20X the football presence this guy does..nowhere near the throwing ability, but feet, pocket management, internal clock, leadership..not even close.