cruzer1

Top HC candidates...

in response to the whole money issue...who will they be able to bring in without paying them out the ***? no coordinator (young or old) will wanna come here to screw their future up. no previous HCs who were winners (cower, schottenheimer, etc.) would wanna come here, especially not shotty. he's a guy who already had issues with his previous owner for sticking his hand in the jar too much. parcels...last i heard from him (right before he took the dolphins job), he sadi he didn't wanna coach anymore. plus his ego would steer him away from Dtown, b/c he'd have to share decisions with mayhew, lewand, and WCF.

so i'm not so sure we can get someone "cheap" even if we wanted to.

Re Schwartz,(Pro Football Weekly)-

Schwartz may be the most qualified assistant in terms of pure brainpower, but he has a tendency to come across as overly arrogant — a quality that should be very interesting to monitor in the coming days and weeks.

“You have to know what you’re getting and be able to manage him.”

Does a "know-it-all" coach in the Lions new mix make sense? Could be a very dangerous cocktail.

Re Schwartz,(Pro Football Weekly)-

Schwartz may be the most qualified assistant in terms of pure brainpower, but he has a tendency to come across as overly arrogant — a quality that should be very interesting to monitor in the coming days and weeks.

“You have to know what you’re getting and be able to manage him.”

Does a "know-it-all" coach in the Lions new mix make sense? Could be a very dangerous cocktail.

Beats someone who knows nothing...

Beats someone who knows nothing...

Very true and a well-thought out response!!

Very true and a well-thought out response!!

Except I'm being serious. I don't get what is wrong with intelligence.

Accept I'm being serious. I don't get what is wrong with intelligence.

You entirely miss the point of the original inserted quote.It had to do with his supposed "arrogance",not his intelligence. I used the term,"know-it-all" in that context.

Never found anything wrong with intelligence that I can recall.

You entirely miss the point of the original inserted quote.It had to do with his supposed "arrogance",not his intelligence. I used the term,"know-it-all" in that context.

Never found anything wrong with intelligence that I can recall.

True. However, I have found that people in athletic circles tend not to accept intelligence and often confuse it with arrogance, as people like Schwartz probably have to be very confident in their findings in order to communicate them.

If the knock on him is arrogance, I can think of a certain coach who frequently wears a hooded sweatshirt who has succeeded in spite of his so called arrogance.

Detroit Lions begin interview process today; Martin Mayhew has interest in Mike Shanahan

While fired Denver Broncos head coach Mike Shanahan was immediately linked to the New York Jets job, the Lions will explore the possibility of adding Shanahan to their list of candidates. The Lions aren't interested in signing a head coach who is demanding any authority in personnel decisions.

http://www.mlive.com/lions/index.ssf/2008/12/lions_begin_interview_process.html

Nfl.com is reporting the Lions have scheduled an interview next Wednesday with Miami Dolphins Asst HC/DB coach Todd Bowles.

Detroit clearly is exhausing all options, and Bowles is a bonafide one. He previously has coached with the New York Jets, Cleveland Browns and Dallas Cowboys before moving to Miami with Parcells last winter.

The 45-year-old Bowles has a superb reputation around the league and could draw more interest than just from Detroit.

Good news from The National Football Post...

Garrett Not Interested In Detroit Job

From The National Football Post:

Sources close to the National Football Post have informed us that Dallas Cowboys offensive coordinator Jason Garrett has withdrawn his name from consideration for the vacant head coaching position in Detroit.

Our sources have informed us that Garrett decided to withdrawal his name after he spoke with officials from Dallas. More on this story as it develops.

Good news from The National Football Post...

Garrett Not Interested In Detroit Job

From The National Football Post:

he turned down the Ravens and i believe 1 other club last year. i wonder what he's looking for.

he turned down the Ravens and i believe 1 other club last year. i wonder what he's looking for.

Thank god not the Lions. The coach who the Lions are going to hire is going to know its a tough job, but he's going to have to be tough to make it. Garrett seems like someone who likes things easy, and given to him.

This is fantastic news. I think Garrett wants the Dallas job, & has been told it's his - if not next season, than the one after that.

As I have read in different reports of who the Lions are talking to, I would have to handicap the top three as:

1. Leslie Frazier

2. Steve Spagnuolo

3. Jim Schwartz

My reasoning is that Spags will get more money and a better opportunity somewhere else. Bowles will be thought that he needs more seasoning. Shanahan will want more control. Jerry Gray is not ready. The choice will come down to Jim Schwartz and Leslie Frazier. Jim will be a little abrasive with his personality and Frazier will look to be qualified and being an African-American will be considered a positive.

IMO, only!

Rex Ryan has is now a canidate as well.

I'm glad to finally here this. If we cant hire someone like Shannahan or Billick, Ryan would be my choice.

Random question: can Mayhew theoretically get in trouble for violating the Rooney Rule?

Random question: can Mayhew theoretically get in trouble for violating the Rooney Rule?

I'm sure he could by the definition of the rule, however I suspect the NFL would never enforce it against a minority GM.

Another hypthetical: If a minority GM doesn't interview a white HC candidate, can he get in trouble for violating the "anti-Rooney Rule"?

Yes.