DTroppens

Historical Tiger killers

Jerry Harriston has the most hated hit against the Tigers in my lifetime. Even beyond hits that kept the Tigers from winning division titles, half-season titles and playoff games.

I'll never forget that Milt Wilcox game. I don't recall the day of the game, but I know it was a night game and it was on TV. In those days you NEVER missed a TV game. I'll argue that because only 40 or so games were on TV, the ones that were on you really paid attention - much more than people do today. Back then it was "Oh, it's a TV game." And to have Milt come within a pitch of a perfect game only to see Harriston come off the bench and hit the first pitch for a single - I still hate his son for what his dad did. Everytime I hear Jr in a game I think of his father.

Jerry Harriston has the most hated hit against the Tigers in my lifetime. Even beyond hits that kept the Tigers from winning division titles, half-season titles and playoff games.

I'll never forget that Milt Wilcox game. I don't recall the day of the game, but I know it was a night game and it was on TV. In those days you NEVER missed a TV game. I'll argue that because only 40 or so games were on TV, the ones that were on you really paid attention - much more than people do today. Back then it was "Oh, it's a TV game." And to have Milt come within a pitch of a perfect game only to see Harriston come off the bench and hit the first pitch for a single - I still hate his son for what his dad did. Everytime I hear Jr in a game I think of his father.

Wasn't it a Tuesday? I know it was in the middle of the week.

Wasn't it a Tuesday? I know it was in the middle of the week.

I don't know. For some reason I wanted to say it was a Friday. I thought I remember the next game being on TV as well and being a day game. But I could be way off on that as well. I really don't know.

Good call. He has a career OPS+ of 149 at Comerica Park.

(.354/.423/.556)

Another Royal, Grudzelaniek has done it over the course of his career.

Someone mentioned Jenks....thats a great one. Gerut, another good one.

Its interesting to see some of the names who dominated their whole career vs. the Tigers and then there is a second tier of player who dominated for only a stretch or season. What's the cutoff point to be considered a Tiger Killer?

I was thinking maybe George Brett, and I was right.

(.904 OPS versus DET, .857 OPS overall)

Man, Brett was tough. If I had to pick a favorite Tigers opponent, it might be him. I was at the last game he ever played in Detroit. It was one of the few good games that Mike Moore pitched as a Tiger. Hell, it might have been the only good one!

http://www.baseball-reference.com/boxes/DET/DET199307250.shtml

I still think it's cool that Brett got to be part of the Tiger Stadium closing festivities. For those that don't know or remember, he and Al Kaline were both in uniform as the two teams' honorary captains that day and brought the lineup cards out to the umps before the game.

Carlos Delgado, especially at the Copa. If the Tigers traded for him in his prime, he probably would have hit 80 HRs a year. :)

Man, Brett was tough. If I had to pick a favorite Tigers opponent, it might be him. I was at the last game he ever played in Detroit. It was one of the few good games that Mike Moore pitched as a Tiger. Hell, it might have been the only good one!

http://www.baseball-reference.com/boxes/DET/DET199307250.shtml

I still think it's cool that Brett got to be part of the Tiger Stadium closing festivities. For those that don't know or remember, he and Al Kaline were both in uniform as the two teams' honorary captains that day and brought the lineup cards out to the umps before the game.

he had a 2 hitter against the White Sox in the same season. :glasses:

My choice is also George Brett. I remember listening to a late summer game on the radio, probably sometime around 1977 or 1978. Ernie Harwell was calling the game and Brett hit a no-questions-asked home run. Next time up, he hit a matching HR shot. Two dingers in the same game. Listening to Ernie compliment Brett's obvious talent, I realized George had that special something. And I became a Brett fan that day.

Jerry Bleeping Hairston

^^^^^ That was my call right there

I remember that Milt Wilcox game. I got my *** beat and grounded for being late coming home from a friends house. My parents werent baseball fans and didnt understand why I needed to watch the end of that game.

Steve Balboni

I remember, or at least I think I remember, George Kell calling him a "Tiger Killer" on one of the broadcasts.

Here's his carreer line:

.229/.293/.451/.744

Here's his numbers vs. the Tigers:

.270/.335/.540/.875

Here's his numbers at Tiger Stadium:

.278/.331/.548/.879

Joe Crede, Josh Fields. Thats the only White Sox I can think off, I know when Mike Sweeney was in the AL Central with KC, he killed everyone in the division.

AJ? Dye? I'd say they killed the Tigers too.

Billy Butler was a Tigers killer, but I think he's slowed down last season

AJ? Dye? I'd say they killed the Tigers too.

Billy Butler was a Tigers killer, but I think he's slowed down last season

It's obviously all about perception, but it always seems like Dye kills the Tigers.

surprised no one said Harold Baines yet. (Perhaps I'm wrong -- anyone care to run the numbers?)

For a while, Mike Mussina had to be in the picture. Thanks goodness Catalanotto played the Jerry Hairston role against him in Baltimore that one night.

Also, on one guy owning a single team: Kenny Rogers vs. the A's may top Randy Johnson vs. the Cubs.