Tigerclaws

Should Lions draft quarterback in first round?

If something major happens between now and the draft, I agree. However, as of right now, there isn't a player thats worthy of the #1 pick on the defensive side of the ball. You can't afford to reach past better players to draft defense when there may be a franchise type player at QB or OT there for the taking.

That said, they need to take the BPA with the #1 pick and draft nothing but defense the rest of the draft.

I would agree with that if this is truly the case. We don't need to be taking the first pick and taking the 25th best man in the draft. But can that really be the case? I'd rather take an OT on offense than anything right now. That would be the worst case scenario. However, even for someone like me who wants us to hoard offensive linemen, can you really afford to pay first pick money to an offensive tackle?

Whatever the Lions do, they MUST find a way to really address this defense. It just has to be done. And the draft is going to be key for that. If they can find a way to draft down to make get those desired people efficiently, then do it. They have so many draft picks that they can do a lot of crazy things on draft day to help promote getting what they want.

Even if people think Stafford is head and shoulders the best prospect (Really its only Cruz).

Andre Smith is not far behind in most peoples estimation. Oher has dropped in the mainstream but could rise again to 5-10 after the combine.

Defensively, guys like Orakpo, Curry and Jenkins are all possible top-5 guys. Are they worthy of the #1? Depends on who you ask. If a team NEEDS a DE and falls in love with Orakpo, he'd go #1.

The idea that the defensive players are so far below the offensive players is really a false statement. They're elite prospects. Get them together and decide which one wants the least amount of money for the most amount of talent.

Even if people think Stafford is head and shoulders the best prospect (Really its only Cruz).

What the hell is that suppose to mean?

What the hell is that suppose to mean?

Its supposed to mean that most people have Stafford #1 because he's a talented prospect and the Lions have a need. You have, however, trumpeted him as the best thing since sliced bread (well, John Elway).

Its supposed to mean that most people have Stafford #1 because he's a talented prospect and the Lions have a need. You have, however, trumpeted him as the best thing since sliced bread (well, John Elway).

There are a lot of draft experts, analysts, etc claiming the same things about Stafford.

There is absolutely no reason for this team to reach for any player in this draft. They have so many frickin' holes it isn't as if they are likely to pick a guy at a position they have depth.

IMHO, reaching for a guy with the #1 overall pick because he happens to be a defensive player is a bigger mistake than taking a OL or a QB who is not a reach at #1, despite needing a defensive player more than an offensive one.

I have major issues with Andre Smith, by the way. I don't think he's a slam dunk top prospect, either. He might have to change positions, he gets a lot of help in their schemes.

I have major issues with Andre Smith, by the way. I don't think he's a slam dunk top prospect, either. He might have to change positions, he gets a lot of help in their schemes.

That's why I still prefer Oher. Smith is (largely) a great prospects, but had the better season on a better team. I still believe Oher is the better pro.

Meanwhile, I don't like exuding the mentality that I dislike Stafford. I just think some people need to curb their enthusiasm. He's great, but I don't think he's the lock-solid best prospect, I certainly think there is room for conversation (especially before the combine and workouts).

That's why I still prefer Oher. Smith is (largely) a great prospects, but had the better season on a better team. I still believe Oher is the better pro.

Meanwhile, I don't like exuding the mentality that I dislike Stafford. I just think some people need to curb their enthusiasm. He's great, but I don't think he's the lock-solid best prospect, I certainly think there is room for conversation (especially before the combine and workouts).

I think Jason Smith and Eugene Monroe are much better athletes than Oher. Oher scares me. In a year where there are so many tackles, he's almost too risky to take, especially so high in the draft. I don't think tackle is a need. They need to upgrade at guard, but that can happen later in the draft. There are much larger fish to fry. The defense needs both size and speed. They don't necessarily need to spend all picks to make this happen. I could see where they could draft a QB for thier offense at #1, then draft a QB (MLB such as Laurinitis) at #20, or whereever they get the Dallas pick. They also have other needs on offense, such as WR (more than one) and TE. And they could always use another runner.

I think eventually Oher may become a 2nd round pick.

What's your knock on Oher?

He's not the most athletic, isn't a dominant run blocker. He's not a dominating player. His learning disability is scary.

I've heard the same comparison to Elway from several experts as well.

I've heard the same comparison to Elway from several experts as well.

Maybe its just me but taking any college QB and comparing him to a top-5 QB of all time is silly.

He's a good player, odds are he's not going to end up one of the best quarterbacks ever.

He's not the most athletic, isn't a dominant run blocker. He's not a dominating player. His learning disability is scary.

In contrast I've heard and read that he's an amazing athlete for his size...he runs a sub 5 second 40 with great footwork. That he is an adequate run blocker that drives through and looks for the second level. He's just tapping his potential but I do have a problem with his learning disability...that's the most concerning part to me.

Maybe its just me but taking any college QB and comparing him to a top-5 QB of all time is silly.

He's a good player, odds are he's not going to end up one of the best quarterbacks ever.

They compared Cutler to Favre...seems to be pretty spot on so far. Everytime he plays the announcers have to bring up he's a gunslinger that takes risks like good ole Brett.

They're saying it for a reason.

In contrast I've heard and read that he's an amazing athlete for his size...he runs a sub 5 second 40 with great footwork. That he is an adequate run blocker that drives through and looks for the second level. He's just tapping his potential but I do have a problem with his learning disability...that's the most concerning part to me.

I have the same rap sheet on him. He's not as athletic as Monroe or as great a run blocker as Smith...but he's still a better overall player. His learning disability would be a complete moot point in most pro schemes (especially zone blocking)

They compared Cutler to Favre...seems to be pretty spot on so far. Everytime he plays the announcers have to bring up he's a gunslinger that takes risks like good ole Brett.

They're saying it for a reason.

To each his own. I like to pimp players early and often but I'm personally reserving judgment on Stafford until after he throws at the combine. I've watched a bunch on him and he has just never stuck me as "accurate". Green and Massaquoi spent alot of this season jumping for high passes or catching balls off their shoe tops.

Why?

IMHO, he never took charge of his team. Georgia was suppose to be this great team but they under achieved this year. Maybe I am being bit critical, but when I watch Tebow I see a passionate leader. I just didn't see it from Stafford.

IMHO, he never took charge of his team. Georgia was suppose to be this great team but they under achieved this year. Maybe I am being bit critical, but when I watch Tebow I see a passionate leader. I just didn't see it from Stafford.

So Stafford should be held accountable for his team's defense?

How did he not take charge? How did Tebow take charge? How did you come to this conclusion? How many games did you watch? How much of this input comes from people with inside access?

I know that you prefaced this by stating it's merely a humble opinion, and I respect that. I just have a hard time if Stafford is ruled out of the #1 pick because he's not a leader when there really doesn't seem to be much more than cherry-picked observation to support it.

There was almost no difference between the Florida and Georgia passing games this year. Clearly, Florida was much better, but that was largely because they had the best defense in the SEC while Georgia had the worst. I'm also, based on watching them, more willing to suggest that Stafford's abilities will better transfer to the NFL. On the whole, he had to make a lot more tight throws and wasn't running from an offense that is designed to pad the quarterback's stats.

Georgia has had many problems with their offensive line, and if you watch them closely, Stafford is bailing out on many plays. He's done well in this, and he's also had many drops from his receivers, although they have improved later in the season.

I can't help but watch this video and think a lot of these plays were made by the receivers. Look at the one at :38 where he hits a wide open receiver, who has to go out of his way to make the play. These guys aren't hit in their stride, meaning, IMO, Tebow will struggle as an NFL QB when his receivers aren't as able to get open.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5lNeKnfPIuI&feature=related

I can't help but watch this video and think a lot of these plays were made by the receivers. Look at the one at :38 where he hits a wide open receiver, who has to go out of his way to make the play. These guys aren't hit in their stride, meaning, IMO, Tebow will struggle as an NFL QB when his receivers aren't as able to get open.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5lNeKnfPIuI&feature=related

Others need to compare it to this video, watching how quickly it gets out...watch how he's making the right play, against an NFL quality defense.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rAHFBDzYBmI

Others need to compare it to this video, watching how quickly it gets out...watch how he's making the right play, against an NFL quality defense.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rAHFBDzYBmI

I see at least three successful audibles in that video... So much for never taking charge of his team. Combine that ability to read the defense with the quick release, and the accuracy, and I am firmly on the Matthew Stafford bandwagon. Honestly, the more I watch him, the more I see shades of Peyton Manning. If that comparison has even a slight chance of being fair, you don't pass on this guy.

I will say this, however. LSU did not have an NFL quality defense this year.