Tigerclaws

Should Lions draft quarterback in first round?

Quarterbacks don't flop any more frequently than defensive players.

That's not true. Granted, defensive players may not be as good as first expected (though many are) but the ones that aren't can usually find their niche on a team and contribute. Qb's who don't live up to expectations end up as career backups.

That's not true. Granted, defensive players may not be as good as first expected (though many are) but the ones that aren't can usually find their niche on a team and contribute. Qb's who don't live up to expectations end up as career backups.

Care to prove it? How shall we define success? Games started from year 2 through year 6?

I'll start at the 2005 draft, working backward and get back to you.

Care to prove it? How shall we define success? Games started from year 2 through year 6?

I'll start at the 2005 draft, working backward and get back to you.

Ok that might be a little tough considering the ratio of defensive players drafted to qb's drafted but go right ahead

How's Michael Huff doing these days?

How about Griffin DRC Ware Sims Hawk Ryans M. Williams M. Jackson D. Harris Woodley Mayo Ngata Meriweather?

Come on you can do better than that your points aren't even valid

DetroitFan, I have a few questions:

1. Who is going to be in Detroit's front office next season? Who will be the Lion's GM? You post as if it will be the same people calling the shots and you know who the GM will be.

2. Doesn't any QB starting in the NFL have the most pressure on them? The QB holds the highest profile position on the team. If a team's offense doesn't do well, the QB will probably take the most blame.

3. What's wrong with drafting a QB with one pick and then all the rest of the picks used on other needs? Detroit has plenty of picks in the upcoming draft.

4. Are you a big fan of Orlovsky?

How's Michael Huff doing these days?

Boy are you a sniper. . . everybody run for cover.

DetroitFan, I have a few questions:

1. Who is going to be in Detroit's front office next season? Who will be the Lion's GM? You post as if it will be the same people calling the shots and you know who the GM will be.

2. Doesn't any QB starting in the NFL have the most pressure on them? The QB holds the highest profile position on the team. If a team's offense doesn't do well, the QB will probably take the most blame.

3. What's wrong with drafting a QB with one pick and then all the rest of the picks used on other needs? Detroit has plenty of picks in the upcoming draft.

4. Are you a big fan of Orlovsky?

1. Don't look for any excuse to drink the kool aid. If they show me they can make good hires and decisions, I'll believe it.

2. Yes, but there is added pressure on a young guy who was the first overall pick. Also, because he is young he probably can't handle it as well as a veteran. Don't forget that Eli got rattled quite a bit in his first few years, and he had a good team around him.

3. A qb is very expensive and we'd be better off getting a qb later. This way, he has a chance to develope with less pressure and he'd be cheaper. And if he doesn't pan out its no big deal because he came cheap and late.

4. No, but he's not nearly as horrible as the guys on defense and the offensive line.

One more thing Lesgoblu-

Michael Huff played for the raiders! Of course they were gonna screw him up!

After a very respectable rookie year, they moved him to FS to make room for Gibril Wilson, then benched him 5 games into the season...

1. Don't look for any excuse to drink the kool aid. If they show me they can make good hires and decisions, I'll believe it.

2. Yes, but there is added pressure on a young guy who was the first overall pick. Also, because he is young he probably can't handle it as well as a veteran. Don't forget that Eli got rattled quite a bit in his first few years, and he had a good team around him.

3. A qb is very expensive and we'd be better off getting a qb later. This way, he has a chance to develope with less pressure and he'd be cheaper. And if he doesn't pan out its no big deal because he came cheap and late.

4. No, but he's not nearly as horrible as the guys on defense and the offensive line.

Thank you for answering. When you draft a player, isn't he paid by the position he is drafted at? For example, a player drafted at 3 is paid more than a player drafted at 23 regardless of the position he plays on the field.

Thank you for answering. When you draft a player, isn't he paid by the position he is drafted at? For example, a player drafted at 3 is paid more than a player drafted at 23 regardless of the position he plays on the field.

Yes, but Matt Ryan was drafted two spots behind Jake long last year and still received a larger contract. I think the nfl has to establish a rookie salary cap to fix that problem.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2005_NFL_Draft

Defensive players drafted in the 1st round

1-4

5-10

Pacman Jones

Antrel Rolle

Carlos Rogers

11-15

DeMarcus Ware

Shawne Merriman

Thomas Davis

Derrick Johnson

16-20

Travis Johnson

David Pollack

Erasmus James

Marcus Spears

20-25

Fabian Washington

26-32

Luis Castillo

Marlin Jackson

Mike Patterson

DeMarcus Ware is a superstar. Merriman was pretty good before his body exploded from steroid abuse.

The rest of them are for the most part forgettable.

Yes, but Matt Ryan was drafted two spots behind Jake long last year and still received a larger contract. I think the nfl has to establish a rookie salary cap to fix that problem.

There's slotting according to draft status and position salaries, I'd imagine. QB's get paid higher than tackles.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2005_NFL_Draft

Defensive players drafted in the 1st round

1-4

5-10

Pacman Jones

Antrel Rolle

Carlos Rogers

11-15

DeMarcus Ware

Shawne Merriman

Thomas Davis

Derrick Johnson

16-20

Travis Johnson

David Pollack

Erasmus James

Marcus Spears

20-25

Fabian Washington

26-32

Luis Castillo

Marlin Jackson

Mike Patterson

DeMarcus Ware is a superstar. Merriman was pretty good before his body exploded from steroid abuse.

The rest of them are for the most part forgettable.

Jones is good when he actuaLly plays.

Rogers and Rolle are very good corners.

D. Johnson is a very good lb, spears has actually been solid lately, Washington is a starter(I think)

Castillo is an absolute beast when he's healthy and Marlin Jackson is a starter.

I don't think there's any point in drafting an OL with the 1st overall pick. Yes we need OL, but you can get value later in the draft. You've got to pick your show horse early.

Interesting fact I found out today: both Matthew Stafford, and Bobby Lane went to the same High school, Highland Park in TX.

I don't think there's any point in drafting an OL with the 1st overall pick. Yes we need OL, but you can get value later in the draft. You've got to pick your show horse early.

But wouldn't that involve paying more money, and there's a greater chance that he won't pan out?

I'd say fill big needs early, then get a QB in the third, fourth, or fifth rounds.

But wouldn't that involve paying more money, and there's a greater chance that he won't pan out?

I'd say fill big needs early, then get a QB in the third, fourth, or fifth rounds.

Greater chance he won't pan out? Where do you get that from? There's a reason 8 of the last 11 first overall picks are QBs. It's basically 50/50 whether he succeeds or not. 1st overall is where you draft your playmakers/skill positions.

There is a greater chance that a QB drafted in round 1 will succeed rather than one drafted in the 3rd, 4th, or 5th rounds.

Greater chance he won't pan out? Where do you get that from? There's a reason 8 of the last 11 first overall picks are QBs. It's basically 50/50 whether he succeeds or not. 1st overall is where you draft your playmakers/skill positions.

There is a greater chance that a QB drafted in round 1 will succeed rather than one drafted in the 3rd, 4th, or 5th rounds.

OK this is getting irritating- switching back and forth between threads:grin: , so check out the "Shoukd Orlovsky be our starter" thread for my argument and the stats I dug up... It should be the last 2 posts in the thread

has anyone stopped to think that maybe the new coach should have a solid game plan thought up before bringing in the #1 QB? how about, if orlovsky can play decently with this cluster-f*ck of a line, imagine what he could do with an improved line? there are temporary answers to the QB situation. you don't need a pro-bowl QB to make the playoffs these days (though it helps). get a line in here by any means necessary, then lets see what the coach can do.

and btw, atlanta over-payed Ryan b/c they needed to get him signed long-term (and to avoid a prolonged hold-out that has damaged so many recent QB's development) before the cba deal was moot, so they took the risk to overpay him. thats the only reason he got more than Long.

has anyone stopped to think that maybe the new coach should have a solid game plan thought up before bringing in the #1 QB? how about, if orlovsky can play decently with this cluster-f*ck of a line, imagine what he could do with an improved line? there are temporary answers to the QB situation. you don't need a pro-bowl QB to make the playoffs these days (though it helps). get a line in here by any means necessary, then lets see what the coach can do.

Agreed.

I'm living near Atlanta now so I cannot watch the Lions as closely as I could in previous seasons, but if we cannot trade down, I think we need to draft Stafford #1. He has the look of an NFL QB. I know that many others before him have as well, but IMO he is the best looking QB coming out of college in many years! Although he underachieved at UGA this year (they REALLY had a good team), he still looks like the guy with the most potential for greatness in this draft IMO.

My personal desire is that Detroit trades down. I'd really love to see them trade the pick to Philly for their two later first round picks, and maybe a second round next year. For some reason I get the sense they are growing tired of the McNabb era in Philly. They have a solid line, a good RB, and still have a superbowl caliber team if they could just fill a few holes. If they could get Stafford to play like Ryan has played for the Falcons, they may just have a legit contender over the next few years! Just my casual opinion (I don't follow the Eagles much at all)

My personal desire is that Detroit trades down. I'd really love to see them trade the pick to Philly for their two later first round picks, and maybe a second round next year.

Sigh

Miami wanted to trade down from #1 last year...no takers

Oakland wanted to trade down the year before that...no takers

Houston wanted to trade down...

San Francisco want...

San Diego...

and btw, atlanta over-payed Ryan b/c they needed to get him signed long-term (and to avoid a prolonged hold-out that has damaged so many recent QB's development) before the cba deal was moot, so they took the risk to overpay him. thats the only reason he got more than Long.

Long signed for 5 years...Ryan for 6...tack on another $12 million for the extra year in Long's Salary and it comes to around $70 million...QBs should be paid more than tackles anyway.

I dont know if Stafford is the answer, but then again I thought Vince Young would be good and Matt Ryan would be horrible. So I obviously havent been too good at judging QB's lately