Tigerclaws

Should Lions draft quarterback in first round?

Doug Williams

2/41

Was there ever a better played Super Bowl than this one? I don't buy this, he was awesome.

All QB's mentioned played extremely well in the Super Bowl.

Was there ever a better played Super Bowl than this one? I don't buy this, he was awesome.

For one game.

And I'm just busting your balls cruz. I agree that 90% of the time, a great QB is needed to win championships.

A lot of posters are saying that the Lions drafted poorly for the past seven years or so. There will be a new gm this year and he will be making the decisions so hopefully he will know what he is doing and the Lion's drafts will improve. IMHO, any GM other than Matt Millen will show improvement for the Lions.

As far as drafting a QB goes, the reason you do it now is you give a young QB time to grow & learn your system. The hope is you will not be drafting at the #1 position in 2-3 years, & so if a franchise QB is available then you'd have to give up too much to move up & take him. But you'd better do your homework. I wanna know everything about this QB. What does he eat for breakfast, who does he hang out with, what are his plans if he didn't play football, does he fart in the tub. EVERYTHING.

"As far as drafting a QB goes, the reason you do it now is you give a young QB time to grow & learn your system."

What "system?"

The Lions went to a west coast offense and then drafted the worst possible QB to run it. I say, GET a system first and then get the players to run it. Don't just blindly draft players. If the Lions are relying on the same scouts who gave Millen advice for the last 7 years, this entire thread is pointless. They will draft players who will never develop into stars. It's that simple and they are that bad.

Until the offensive line is fixed the Lions have no business drafting a 1st round Quarterback. The top four Qb's on the depth chart have missed a significant amount of time due to injury. If the Lions drafted a top flight Qb, he would be injured within a few games. The Lions need to draft pass rushers or O-line with the top two picks.

They have a lot of success at drafting failures as well, give credit where credit is due.
You're full of cheap shots this week, aren't you?

I don't see that as a cheap shot at all. The man speaks the truth. The facts back it up.

Yup, Trent Dilfer won a Super Bowl.
1/41 And he was a first round pick. He had some ability.

OK. Here. Answer this. What QB in the league right now or QB from the past do you think would make the Lions winners with the O line and defense they have now? Go ahead, draft a QB, let him sit next year or throw him to the wolves. Sounds like a good game plan.

OK. Here. Answer this. What QB in the league right now or QB from the past do you think would make the Lions winners with the O line and defense they have now? Go ahead, draft a QB, let him sit next year or throw him to the wolves. Sounds like a good game plan.

Remember, its only one pick. They need to improve their WR depth and RB depth before the line, imo. They can draft an olinemen, if he's the best available player. Last year, I would have concurred with drafting either Long or Gholston (who should be rushing the passer only-the Jets are trying to make him something he's not, I would take him) at number 1. But there's a huge talent gap here, and the best talent is at QB, who I like alot. Take Stafford, give him some help, and he should be fine...for now. He'll build into a cornerstone franchise QB. Manning was drafted #1, and he's fine. Both of them, actually.

I don't see that as a cheap shot at all. The man speaks the truth. The facts back it up.

It's sort of an inside joke from one of the college threads, where he was accused of cheap-shotting Lloyd Carr

All this talk of Lions drafting, let me throw this question out there. Not a poll, I don't know how to start one. But just a general question;

How many posters here have confidence the Lions will have a good draft?

I would be surprised if we got 2 serviceable players that will contribute to WINS next year. Not just put on their jersey, practice and play on Sunday. But players that actually would make plays to put them in a position to win a game.

That's tough to answer since we don't know who will be doing the drafting. Experience tells me to not expect them to make the right choice, so I guess I would assume that whoever they choose will not choose the right person. However, I don't believe that the right draft picks necessarily have to bring success next season. As has been stated, this team is a couple years away

Remember, its only one pick. They need to improve their WR depth and RB depth before the line, imo. They can draft an olinemen, if he's the best available player. Last year, I would have concurred with drafting either Long or Gholston (who should be rushing the passer only-the Jets are trying to make him something he's not, I would take him) at number 1. But there's a huge talent gap here, and the best talent is at QB, who I like alot. Take Stafford, give him some help, and he should be fine...for now. He'll build into a cornerstone franchise QB. Manning was drafted #1, and he's fine. Both of them, actually.

They first need to figure out what system they'll be running. Draft players to fit the style of play they want to play. Are they going to go smash mouth football on offense? Don't bring in a coach who will try to build around the few talented players we have. Bring in a coach with a proven system and get the players to make his system work. Much easier said than done, but it CAN be done. In todays NFL, teams can be built in 2 to 3 years, not 5 year plans like the old days.

That's tough to answer since we don't know who will be doing the drafting. Experience tells me to not expect them to make the right choice, so I guess I would assume that whoever they choose will not choose the right person. However, I don't believe that the right draft picks necessarily have to bring success next season. As has been stated, this team is a couple years away

A couple of years away from what? Winning a game? :laugh:

DO not draft a QB in the first!!!! I want to see the defense improve before we waste a pick a player that's going to sit for 2 years. I am not sold on Bradford or Stafford yet. One may be a product of a system and the other fails to show me leadership skills. I want o see how they perform at the combines. Until then I say no to both of them.