Tigerclaws

Should Lions draft quarterback in first round?

ALLEN PARK -- If the Detroit Lions take another step toward an 0-16 season Sunday by losing to the New Orleans Saints at Ford Field, they will secure the No. 1 overall pick in the draft.

Speculation abounds that the 0-14 Lions should go after a franchise quarterback such as Georgia's Matt Stafford or Oklahoma's Sam Bradford.

The St. Louis Rams and Kansas City Chiefs are 2-12. If they lose Sunday, or if the Rams and Chiefs win, the Lions will have their first overall No. 1 pick since they drafted Billy Sims in 1980.

Some No. 1 overall picks at quarterback have panned out: Peyton and Eli Manning have won Super Bowls. Last year's top choice, Matt Ryan, is setting Atlanta on fire.

However, other recent No. 1 picks have flamed out, including Alex Smith of San Francisco and David Carr of Houston.

Todd McShay, a draft analyst for ESPN, said the Lions should steer clear of taking a quarterback if they end up with the top selection.

"I would take the best available offensive or defensive lineman, maybe Alabama OT Andre Smith if he leaves early," McShay said in an e-mail. "There will be a lot of talk about quarterback, particularly Stafford and/or Bradford if they come out, but I'm not as high on either as I was on Ryan a year ago. And I'm not sure that's the way to build for Detroit -- too much money to dish out, too much pressure to play a quarterback early and not enough of a supporting cast for him to succeed."

http://www.mlive.com/lions/index.ssf/2008/12/if_lions_earn_1st_pick_should.html

I'm not that high on Smith. I love him as a run blocker, he scares me protecting the QB. Alabama gives him alot of help. The two QB's are simply the two best players in this draft.

I have sent McShay a note.

no to a QB. Trade down if necessary, but fix the lines this year.

The Vikings have terrific lines. If they had a QB they could go to a Super Bowl. QB's win Super Bowls.

If we all agree that they're more than 1 year away, does it really matter in what order (in terms of years) they draft each position?

You could argue that a QB would be better to draft first since he would need time to learn, where linemen can generally be plugged right in.

Or just draft whoever's best... that's a thought too.

Defense wins Super bowls.

I would LOVE to see a defense only draft from the Lions. But, that would never happen. I think they need to find a complement for CJ and better blocking ect...ect...ect....

Defense wins Super bowls.

I would LOVE to see a defense only draft from the Lions. But, that would never happen. I think they need to find a complement for CJ and better blocking ect...ect...ect....

You can't make a blanket statement like "build the lines" or "defenses win championships". The best players win championships, that's where the scouting comes in.

Winning enough games to qualify for the playoffs, then going on a 3-4 game winning streak is what wins Super Bowls.

You can't make a blanket statement like "build the lines" or "defenses win championships". The best players win championships, that's where the scouting comes in.

pound the rock

Exactly. I couldn't agree more. Find a team that really wants one of the two top quarterbacks and get all you can for that 1st overall pick. Maybe another teams 1st, 2nd and 6th round picks? Depending on where they pick, I would probably jump at that. Stay away from the skill players for now and build the team with what it takes to win, a dominating D line and a smothering O line.

It really isn't that complicated, many teams have done it in the past. After 7 years of horrible drafting, this Lions team CAN NOT afford to blow this draft. They need to open some eyes and have the best draft of any NFL team.

7 years of high picks should have us with at least 3 or 4 All-Pro caliber players, yet we only have one in Calvin. Jason was here before these last 7 drafts, so I won't count him.

Exactly. I couldn't agree more. Find a team that really wants one of the two top quarterbacks and get all you can for that 1st overall pick. Maybe another teams 1st, 2nd and 6th round picks? Depending on where they pick, I would probably jump at that. Stay away from the skill players for now and build the team with what it takes to win, a dominating D line and a smothering O line.

It really isn't that complicated, many teams have done it in the past. After 7 years of horrible drafting, this Lions team CAN NOT afford to blow this draft. They need to open some eyes and have the best draft of any NFL team.

7 years of high picks should have us with at least 3 or 4 All-Pro caliber players, yet we only have one in Calvin. Jason was here before these last 7 drafts, so I won't count him.

Who needs a QB? They've got the best of both worlds with the Williams deal. Trade down? They already have plenty of picks. How many 3rd rounders do you need? Pass up a franchise QB for what...a guard? Makes no sense to me at all.

The Vikings have terrific lines. If they had a QB they could go to a Super Bowl. QB's win Super Bowls.

Yup, Trent Dilfer won a Super Bowl.

The Lions are in no position to be passing up a franchise type QB in the draft.

And they're in no position to make a mistake, drafting what they THINK is a franchise QB. Chuck Long, Andre Ware, Joey Harrington and Drew Stanton?

Would you trust this teams scouts to make the right call? The Lions haven't had an All-Pro QB since Greg Landry.

...QB's win Super Bowls.

:cheeky:

Who needs a QB? They've got the best of both worlds with the Williams deal. Trade down? They already have plenty of picks. How many 3rd rounders do you need? Pass up a franchise QB for what...a guard? Makes no sense to me at all.

Let's see, Joe Montana in his prime or even Tom Brady, do you think the Lions would be winners with either of these guys? With the many, many needs this team has, a "franchise" QB is the least of their worries. Draft a QB 1st overall and let him sit next year? Can we afford to get NOTHING from this pick next year? The Lions very well could be in the top 10 in next years draft and could take a QB then. Franchise quarterbacks aren't always picked #1 overall, sometimes not even in the 1st round. Look at Kurt Warner.

That being said, I think the Lions will go after a QB, just the wrong one. :tired:

And they're in no position to make a mistake, drafting what they THINK is a franchise QB. Chuck Long, Andre Ware, Joey Harrington and Drew Stanton?

Would you trust this teams scouts to make the right call? The Lions haven't had an All-Pro QB since Greg Landry.

Stockar MacDougall, Aaron Gibson

Maybe they just shouldn't draft anyone.

And what if they had a great QB, but a lousy OL and DL? I'd prefer to see them build the lines and then add the QB via Free Agency or something like that.

As far as drafting a QB goes, the reason you do it now is you give a young QB time to grow & learn your system. The hope is you will not be drafting at the #1 position in 2-3 years, & so if a franchise QB is available then you'd have to give up too much to move up & take him. But you'd better do your homework. I wanna know everything about this QB. What does he eat for breakfast, who does he hang out with, what are his plans if he didn't play football, does he fart in the tub. EVERYTHING.

Do you honestly have faith the Lions can draft a franchise qb? Their history says no.

Other than RB, where do they have a history of drafting well?

Other than RB, where do they have a history of drafting well?

They have a lot of success at drafting failures as well, give credit where credit is due.

They have a lot of success at drafting failures as well, give credit where credit is due.

You're full of cheap shots this week, aren't you?

You two have won a ceremonious kick in the taint.

No one is going to trade up to the #1 spot this year. Neither of these guys are enough of a "sure thing" to gamble your whole draft for.