Hart

Should Orlovsky be our starter next year?

Is that your answer to the question?

Bad O-Line or not, Orlovsky played terrible.

Yes it is the answer to the question.

To look at a game like today and say, "Man Orlovsky sucked," without mentioning the crappy O-line, the fact receivers weren't getting open, and the crappy defense isn't telling the whole story.

To think any QB could have success on this team is foolish. There is a LOT of work to be done and whether or not Orlovsky is our starter next year shouldn't be based on his performance in a game like this one (not to mention he and about a dozen other guys had a stomach flu.)

Goz had a couple penalties, one of which brought back the Calvin TD...Raiola snapped the ball early which resulted in the only sack of the game. Those are the poor plays that stand out to me.

Orlovsky had time to throw those deep balls to CJ...was taking 5 step drops, but recievers weren't getting open, the line can't block them forever...Orlo needs to make a play.

He wasn't good today but he still might be in the mix. You really can't judge a QB when the opponent is able to score a TD every single time they get the ball. Your QB is in a no-win situation when that happens. He certainly shouldn't be a shoe-in for next year but I wouldn't give up on him. They just need to try and get the best QB that they can, and if that means drafting a rookie then Orlovsky might be an ok choice to start until the rookie is ready.

Draft 3 offensive lineman in the 1st round.

I'm not even going that far...

Even if it was Smith/Oher-Mack-Robinson it probably wouldn't translate into as much success and you think it would.

Having 4 O-linemen starters who are under the age of 23 would be nice for a lot of reasons, but adding one or two linemen a year is a better scenario than putting all of your eggs into one basket.

I don't know how anyone can be talking about drafting 3 OL after today's defensive performance. That was the least effective defense I've ever seen, and as a Lion's fan, I've seen plenty of bad defensive performances.

I don't know how anyone can be talking about drafting 3 OL after today's defensive performance. That was the least effective defense I've ever seen, and as a Lion's fan, I've seen plenty of bad defensive performances.

The defense is beyond help. Play keep away! It's the only logical answer. :cheeky: It's the exact opposite of what the Lions would do so it has to be right.

The way the draft is looking to me right now (fully knowing that it will change by April) we could easily get something along the lines of Curry/A. Smith/Greg Hardy with the first three picks. That would personally make me a lot happier than even touching the offense that early.

Actually, I would just draft a LT with the 1st pick, make Backus move to OG, and then focus on grabbing defense, a quarterback (maybe), and a mid-round wideout (Dallas' 3rd rounder?).

That way you will probably improve two spots on the line and will have a better defense too.

IMO, just cut raiola. he costs too much for mediocre play.

seriously though. unless they (i will not speak their name) bring in a competent coach, who can develop a QB, DON'T waste the pick. find the right coach, then get your QB. draft LT, even if it's a few picks of a stretch, like Oher or Smith, then next year, when the coach shows he can help improve one of our QBs (Orlovsky, IMO, if you can get him back), THEN get the QB with the potential to develop into a super star.

with the history WCF and co. have at selecting coaches, Stafford or Bradford would just come in here with ZERO teaching, and would be expected to just learn the NFL on his own, with a coach who has no idea what he's doing.

# of players who have started consistently: 20 out of 27, 74%

# of players who have not started consistently or made an impact: 7 out of 27

Players who have been a boom so far- 9 out of 21

Players who have been a bust so far- 12 out of 21

Success Rate- 57%, 20% lower success rate than an OT.

I think OT qualifies as the safer pick

If being a starter makes you successful then the Lions already have a whole bunch of successful linemen.

Actually, I would just draft a LT with the 1st pick, make Backus move to OG, and then focus on grabbing defense, a quarterback (maybe), and a mid-round wideout (Dallas' 3rd rounder?).

That way you will probably improve two spots on the line and will have a better defense too.

I keep seeing this argument being made, but until the Lions actually experiment with what they have on the o-line, I'm not ready to subscribe to the point. This team should have been seeing what they had the minute they were eliminated from the playoffs. Granted, the people in the front office may not be the same ones making personell decisions next year, but live action, regular season game footage would go a long way in helping evaluate talent by a new regime. I'd hate to assume Backus would work out at guard and have it be a disaster. Maybe Backus does extremely well at right tackle and Cherilus does much better as a guard. Six weeks ago would have been a good time to find out. As far as Orlavsky goes, drafting a QB shouldn't be about him. It's pretty clear he's not the QB of the furure, but is an ok stop gap as long as he keeps pumping the ball to CJ. If you think Stafford or Bradford are the franchise, then by all means draft them. But the defense is above and beyond the immediate problem and it'd be wise to spend the picks there and address the QB at a later time. I'm personally rooting for the Pioli and Cassell tandem, but that's probaly best left for a different thread.

I cant see how people can still defend Dano. Even when he had the time to throw, many of them were way, way off. Sorry, but toss the ball up to CJ is NOT the answer.

I keep seeing this argument being made, but until the Lions actually experiment with what they have on the o-line, I'm not ready to subscribe to the point. This team should have been seeing what they had the minute they were eliminated from the playoffs. Granted, the people in the front office may not be the same ones making personell decisions next year, but live action, regular season game footage would go a long way in helping evaluate talent by a new regime. I'd hate to assume Backus would work out at guard and have it be a disaster. Maybe Backus does extremely well at right tackle and Cherilus does much better as a guard. Six weeks ago would have been a good time to find out. As far as Orlavsky goes, drafting a QB shouldn't be about him. It's pretty clear he's not the QB of the furure, but is an ok stop gap as long as he keeps pumping the ball to CJ. If you think Stafford or Bradford are the franchise, then by all means draft them. But the defense is above and beyond the immediate problem and it'd be wise to spend the picks there and address the QB at a later time. I'm personally rooting for the Pioli and Cassell tandem, but that's probaly best left for a different thread.

The only reason I say to move Backus is because Gozer seems to be doing quite well at RT from a ability standpoint. He just makes rookie mistakes. But you are right, Gozer might work better as a guard.

As much as I see Cassell as a possible Scott Mitchell, I am reminded that we actually won games with him. Sure he had wideouts and Barry freaking Sanders, but he wasn't a total disaster.

Plus if we sign Cassell, that means the team can give Stanton some more time (otherwise it's another wasted pick).

A QB for sure later.

Heck, even a QB in the mid-first round would be an option if someone really shoots up at the senior bowl