John Smith

Detroit Lions @ Oklahoma Sooners (In Norman)

haha

Your contributions to this conversation are Shakespearean. Please, enlighten us with some more of your witty blurbs.

Your contributions to this conversation are Shakespearean. Please, enlighten us with some more of your witty blurbs.

I am doing better than you, who seem to think that half of the players on the Lions were good in college, while the other half appeared out of nowhere, somehow getting an NFL job.

Which Lions players were great in college? This is the worst NFL team of all time, or near it, against one of the best college teams. Which Lions players would start or even be recruited by Oklahoma?

You're delusional. I'm not going to waste my time putting together something like that for you when it's painfully obvious to everyone but 2-3 people that the Lions would absolutely conquer Oklahoma.

This the same question as could the #1 High School team in the country beat North Texas.

The answer is no. The top (insert number here) % of college players go to play and start in the NFL. I don't know exactly what that number is, but I would bet my next paycheck it's really damn low.

"While many young people every year set their goals on becoming NFL players, it is extremely difficult to reach that level. Statistically of the 100,000 high school seniors who play football every year, only 215 will ever make an NFL roster. That is 0.2%! Even of the 9,000 players that make it to the college level only 310 are invited to the NFL scouting combine, the pool from which teams make their draft picks."

http://www.nflpa.org/Faqs/NFL_HopefulsFaq.aspx

Not many Lions would start for Oklahoma. Johnson/Backus/Raiola/Sims/Redding?

I hate to say this but I think even

Paris Lenon would look like a man among boys if he played the Sooners.

This the same question as could the #1 High School team in the country beat North Texas.

The answer is no. The top (insert number here) % of college players go to play and start in the NFL. I don't know exactly what that number is, but I would bet my next paycheck it's really damn low.

That number is skewed however, schools like Florida/USC/Oklahoma and Texas have a far higher representation. The question specifically dealt with Oklahoma, not North Texas. How many of the Lions players would you call NFL talent as well, they have many players active each week who should be out of the league or on the practice squad.

That number is skewed however, schools like Florida/USC/Oklahoma and Texas have a far higher representation. The question specifically dealt with Oklahoma, not North Texas. How many of the Lions players would you call NFL talent as well, they have many players active each week who should be out of the league or on the practice squad.

North Texas is the worst team in Div 1-A football.

The Detroit Lions are the worst team in the NFL

Likewise,

The #1 ranked High School team is akin to OU being the #1 team in Div 1-A.

Are we getting it now?

OK here is an article discussing the pros and cons of such a matchup.

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/84020-could-the-best-college-football-team-beat-the-worst-nfl-team

Could the Best College Football Team Beat the Worst NFL Team? by Bryn Swartz (Analyst)

11 1594 reads

Editorial

November 20, 2008

You hear the arguments all the time. People who believe that the best college team in the country could take on the worst NFL team—and win.

People say that teams like the 2008 Detroit Lions or the 2006 Oakland Raiders would lose to a dominant college team like the USC teams of Reggie Bush and Matt Leinart or Penn State with Kerry Collins and Ki-Jana Carter.

I think this reasoning is absurd. Absolutely ridiculous.

Not only would the NFL team win, but they would win by 30 to 40 points. They might win by 50 to 60 points. They would most likely have a shutout and would probably come close to 600 yards of total offense.

Here's why: Every single college football team, no matter how good this team is, has a weakness at some position. It's probably not going to be at any of the skill positions, like quarterback, running back, or wide receiver. It's probably going to be one of the lineman or maybe a defensive back. But one of the players on the college team is going to be a big weakness.

The transition from college to the NFL is not an easy step. Fantastic players in college don't just become superstars in the NFL. Many struggle to even perform as average players.

Take Reggie Bush, as an example. He dominated the game of college football. He was one of the greatest college running backs of all time. He was so good at college football that he knew that he could go to the NFL after his junior year and probably succeed. But guess what happened?

B/R Ticket Guide GHSA High School Football Playoffs

on Fri, Dec 12 at 5:00PM

No TicketsNCAA Division I Football Championship

on Fri, Dec 19 at 4:00PMTickets from

$24

Find TicketsNCAA Football Division I (Formerly 1-AA)

on Fri, Dec 19 at 8:00PMTickets from

$45

Find TicketsPowered by FanSnap.comHe didn't succeed. Not right away. There was a point, halfway through his first season, where he ranked last in the NFL in yards per carry. And this is one of the greatest college players of all time!

Quarterback Matt Leinart is another example. He won the Heisman Trophy and a national championship with USC. But he doesn't even have a starting job in the NFL right now. He lost his starting job on the Arizona Cardinals, and this was before they were one of the best teams in the NFL.

Now take your worst NFL team. The Detroit Lions hold that honor this year. Every man on their roster has played college football before. Every man on their roster could go back to the game of college football and dominate. They could probably set records.

An NFL team is comprised of the best of the best in college football. The top college players go on to the National Football League. The rest live a normal life, with a normal job. Players in the NFL are too good and have too much experience to lose to 20 and 21-year-olds.

NFL scrubs were the best of the best in college. NFL starters were unbelievable players in college. NFL superstars were usually among the greatest players in college football history.

Your average starting lineman for a No. 1 team will not even make the NFL. If he does, he probably won't be a productive starter.

Take the sad story of Winston Justice, former USC offensive lineman. He was drafted by the Eagles and was asked to make one start in 2007, against the Giants. Defensive end Osi Umenyiora recorded six sacks against him. SIX sacks! In one game! Yes, Osi is a Pro Bowler, but it just goes to show that the talent in college is nowhere near the NFL's talent.

If the college guys had a chance anywhere, it would be at the skill positions. But seriously? Does any NFL player come into the league and make an immediate impact? A few do. A very few do. But the majority of players will sit on the bench for a year or two before being thrust into the game. They're just not ready, physically and mentally.

The linemen would be completely dominated. Many would sustain injuries during the game as well. The receivers would be physically dominated as well, especially going across the middle for passes. The running backs would struggle running up the middle, and the quarterback would be physically battered.

The NFL team is so physically dominant that you could take the 22 best college players in the nation and I do not believe that they would emerge victorious. Not a chance.

That author makes a good point. It just seems that the Lions are so bad that the best college team in the country could beat them occasionally (which is what I was saying all along).

The NFL team is so physically dominant that you could take the 22 best college players in the nation and I do not believe that they would emerge victorious. Not a chance.

This last sentence I'm not so sure about. If you knew what 22 college players would match up best against NFL players, then I think this hypothetical college team would have a chance against some of worst NFL teams if they were adequately coached. Otherwise this story is absolutely correct.

The CFL arguement is much more intresting. College teams are much more of the suck. Lions would win 100/100 times by at least 7 touchdowns.

A better question would be - how many players have the Lions cut who were great in college? Harrington, BMW, Charles Rogers, etc.

There actually is a history of the NFL champs taking on a team of college all-stars and the college team has won 9 times.

http://www.mmbolding.com/BSR/Chicago_Charities_College_All-Star_Game.htm

This was already done. The 1957 World Champion Detroit Lions were crushed by the College All-Stars 35-19.

http://www.mmbolding.com/BSR/The%20Chicago%20All-Star%20Game_1958.htm

:alien:

Ronz, I already stated that earlier, the college all-stars would beat the Super Bowl champs about 25% of the time. They played that game for 40 years. It hasn't happened since the mid-70's so I'm not sure how it would translate to today.

I doubt the Lions would win by 50-60 points against Oklahoma in Norman.

But 30 points would probably be the line.

The best point was probably that these are 20-21 year old guys that are getting hit by guys that are 26 and been in the NFL for 5 years. There would be a lot of Sooner injuries. Also Bradford would not recognize the Lions pro defenses and NFL players close very quickly on wide receivers.

As a Sooner alumni and follower of everything OU, I'd say the Lions would be favored by 21 and I'd probably take the Lions. Even having 15 pro-ready prospects wouldn't matter a whole lot for OU, they'd have to play a perfect game and the Lions would have to play badly for the game to be close.

The Lions don't have nearly the talent that OU has. OU would score 60 points.

Wow...are we serious?

It's men vs. boys. There are players on Oklahoma's squad that haven't finished growing yet. There's a reason most rookies don't contribute right away in the NFL (especially offensive and defensive linemen). The worst players on the Lions could start for any Division I college.

Who covers Calvin Johnson? Who blocks Ernie Sims on a blitz? The Lions, even as a crappy defensive team, still run defensive coverages, blitz packages, and line stunts which Bradford doesn't even dream about.

If we're putting together a college all-star team, and giving them a few weeks of practice...then I might give them a chance.

Lions win this game huge. Bradford can't throw when he's backpedaling all day.

do you think they can throw a pigskin over that mountain?

uncle_rico2.jpg

I heard Matthew Stafford can throw a football a quarter mile.

These are honestly, the two best posts in this entire thread. :cheeky: