Sign in to follow this  
DTroppens

Figuring new dates for next year's elections

New dates....

We are going to need new dates for the new year. To be consistent these dates would make the most sense.

2009 Elections -- Friday, May 1, 2009

2009 Veterans Committee Elections -- Friday, December 4, 2009

New dates....

We are going to need new dates for the new year. To be consistent these dates would make the most sense.

2009 Elections -- Friday, May 1, 2009

2009 Veterans Committee Elections -- Friday, December 4, 2009

I'd like to see the VC Elections moved. Having the two weeks fall within a holiday probably dampens participation. What about Moving it up to November 20? There's still nothing to talk about with regard to the Tigers so it wouldn't get pushed to the back burner by a big news event and you don't have a big vacation week keeping possible voters from participating.

I can work with that. I can work with anything so whatever you all come up with, go for it. That makes as much sense as anything else to me.

Better yet, first half of November, to accommodate us wannabe deer hunters. How about November 15th deadline, with a week or so of voting beforehand?

I like Dave's dates. We knocked it out of the park in terms of participation this time around compared to last year. No point in fixing what's not broken anymore.

Roll on '09.

Hey guys, I don't suppose that the May 1 election could be moved somewhere that is not April and May could it? That is about the worst time of the year for me. I am involved in a very time consuming Bible study in which I am a childrens leader until the end of May and with baseball starting in April....I will not have time to sleep--let alone look at candidates for the Hall of Fame. I am already stressed out trying to figure out how I am going to do both baseball games and Bible study this year (and Bible study will be the priority)

Moving the spring elections is a difficult ask because a lot of player retirements happen right around April anyway.

That said, the ballot should be more or less sorted by the end of March, so if people like Wendy have extenuating circumstances I should think we can make arrangements ahead of time.

I still really like Dave's '09 dates.

Playing Devil's Advocate, Wendy... Does the ballot need to be out there for you to make up your mind? We have a good idea of who the candidates are going to be, so it's not like you can't make up your mind in February, save the list and paste it into a PM in April, checking to make sure that all of the newcomers are on the ballot as expected.

I like Dave's dates. We knocked it out of the park in terms of participation this time around compared to last year. No point in fixing what's not broken anymore.

Roll on '09.

I was very pleasantly surprised with the recent turnout. My only other suggestion to throw out there - maybe extend the voting window to a month, if that is workable?

Participation was good this time.

I try to keep the ballots being turned in within two weeks just so they don't get lost in PMs. But that really hasn't been a problem. I still have the ballots from each of the last couple votes we've done in my PMs. With the larger PM allowance that's also helped.

We could change the date of the first ballots allowing to be turned in another week or so earlier.

The thing with that though, no matter what people are doing, I have a hard time believing no one here isn't on the message board for the two weeks straight that the ballots can be turned in. And as was suggested, we know the candidates before dt posts them. We could start research for most of the elections months earlier without the post.

We had a few issues here with the dates but no one has pressingly pushed the issue making me think these dates work as well as any we can come up with. I think we'll go with them.