RedRamage

Evenings withOUT Ernie?

I know I should just be enjoying the fact that he's still here for this last year, but part of me is just lamenting the fact that he'll be gone after this year.

Lately, now that the weather is FINALLY cooperating, after dinner I've headed out to the backyard with my son. He loves to play outside and as this is the first summer he can really realize what's going on and interact with his world (he's about 20 months old) he really enjoys it. So I'll sit and watch him play with the radio playing. Nothing in the world like watching your son explore the marvels of a blade of grass while listing to Ernie broadcast a come from behind win...

I'm trying to enjoy it, but I can't help but feel bad that Connor will never be able to enjoy Harwells voice the same way that I can. I guess though that the way things are going with Baseball these days, I'll should just be happy if baseball is still around by the time my son will be a fan...

It might not be the same as listening to him live but...

Record a few broadcasts on tape (I'm actually trying to find them in mp3 format or wav format on the internet to put on CD - to no success though) and when you son is 12 or 13 you can explain to him Ernie and let him listen some Ernie broadcasts.

In addition the Tigers should be fielding a decent team by then......and he can hear about the miserable teams of the late 90's and early 0's

I don't want to see him go, but at least it's his choice this time. Any sorrow I feel is for us, the fans. For Ernie, he's earned a few summers with just him and his wife and may he have many of them.

I don't know if anybody else has noticed, but Ernie sounds as good as he always has in my opinion. I remember last year I became concerned because it seemed like he was missing calls, but that's just proved how dumb I was. I wonder though if his decision to go has given him peace of mind, because his broadcasts these days are top-notch, even at his age. I love the way he rips on Jim Price (in fun of course). They have a very good relationship now. Whereas before Jim used to change Ernie's Depends every half-inning, now Jim actually treats him like a man, and I think it has made for great radio. Price has really won me over.

So, is it automatically assumed that Dickerson takes over next year? If so, who's doing innings 4, 5, and 6? If not Dickerson, what names have come up?

Originally posted by Born in Detroit

I bet he could handle a whole nine innings. There's no rule that says you have to do a tag-team change in the middle of a game.

I think they are doing that to prepare the radio listeners for Dan Dickerson. They did the same thing with Harry Carey on the Cubs broadcasts.

I don't know what the difference is, but I find Jim Price less annoying this year. I don't remember who it was, but one of the comedians from this board said (paraphrasing) "I can't wait for Ernie to screw up and say 'and a fan from Bumfuktegypt will take that one home with him' to which Jim Price will say 'nice place Ern'".

Whoever said that please take credit for that moment of great comedy.

For the first four months or so of the year, Jim Price sounded like a phony whenever he was broadcasting with Ernie. He sounded like a real broadcaster when he was with Dickerson, but when doing the call with Ernie he did it in a gosh-golly-gee kind of a way that sounded VERY phony. I made a point on the board last year that I had noticed during the last two months of the season he cut it out, and that I seriously thought that somebody approached him about it. I could even tell back then that Ernie was uncomfortable being treated like a shriveled-up old man, but Price doesn't do that anymore. He still does the nice area thing, but that's part of his gig.

As far as doing it nine innings, I'm sure Dickerson can do it, but does he want to. I kind of like the change of pace in the middle innings myself, no matter what team's broadcaster is doing the game.

Ernie has always had a 3 inn break except for maybe a few of his first years. I always remember Paul Karey doing the middle 3. I'm waiting for someone to put their foot on Price's neck and shut him up. He doesnot have to repond to every single freakin word Ernie says.

I really like Dickerson. He's got a nice easy going delivery. If you don't notice the announcer, then he's doing a good job.

I share your conflicted emotions when listening to Ernie, RedRampage. But I look at it this way, a lot of announcers would have long since retired by now, so we should be VERY thankful that he was around long enough for an additional generation to enjoy. I mean, the Dodgers' Vin Scully is a full decade younger than Ernie and has already drastically cut back on his play-by-play. The Cardinals' Jack Buck is 77 or 78 and hasn't called a single pitch this year because he's been in a hospital bed since February. Harry Caray, of course, went to the Great Announcing Booth In The Sky four years ago. We really got to hear Ernie a lot longer than we had a right to expect to, and the miraculous thing is--as others have said--he really hasn't lost anything over the last few years. My God, the man still does six innings a game, 162 games a year, on RADIO no less!

EWE, I agree with you about Price. The patronizing tone he formerly had (one poster at another board likened his interaction with Ernie to an over-eager Boy Scout trying to help a little old lady across the street whether she needed assistance or not) has really receded. I still think Price talks more than is necessary on a radio broadcast, but I can live with that.

Oblong's right about Dickerson. He doesn't call undue attention to himself when he broadcasts, or try to play cheerleader, or clutter his play-by-play with verbal gimmicks, or make a lot of noticable mistakes. And he actually does a very good job of detaling the action for the radio audience. He doesn't have Ernie's classic voice or storytelling skills, but he's very easy to listen to and I think the Tigers could do a lot worse than to make him their #1 guy next season.

Another play-by-play guy? Well, if Dickerson doesn't want to do a full nine innings each broadcast I guess they'll have to find somebody. Doesn't Mario Impemba (the Fox Sports Detroit guy) have radio experience? Maybe he could fill in on 'XYT when FSD isn't televising, so DD at least has an occasional break.

I had been wanting to post something about this for awhile. Ernie(and jim to some degree) have made this season (as bad as it has been) a joy. I mean yes I would listen to the games no matter what because I am a tiger fan, but I really look forward to everynight or day hearing ernie's voice. I agree 100% with EWE on how good the games have been announced. I have heard a ton of interesting as well as funny stories. I think that is part of what makes listening to ernie so great is his knowledge of baseball and baseball history. Every game I hear something that blows my mind or makes me laugh outloud. It is going to be very sad come his last game. I think, although it would never happen is that illitch should give comerica their money back and name the stadium harwell park or something like that. i dont think ernie would want that but he deserves it.

i totaly agree with you EWE mario is so boring i'd rather have wimpy with kirk instead. I think this year Big Ern and Price seem to be having more fun in the booth (like eating suckers during the game and telling jokes) then they have in recent years, its really made the season alot more enjoyable. I am hoping that the Tigers have something planned to remeber Ernie with maybe a statue.

Let's hope they don't decide to bring back Rick Rizzs and Bob Rathbum... I couldnt tolerate either one of those 2 whatsoever and their voices virtually sounded too much alike to suit me or anyone... I wouldn't even mind Frank Beckman as Ernies successor... He has such a distinctive voice and a vast understanding of the game and lots of enthusiasm.....

I liked Beckmann when he was working the radio side, but wasn't the whole reason he switched places with Ernie and went to Channel 50 a few years back because Frank didn't want to do a full schedule anymore?

Besides, every September you'd have the old baseball/football conflict popping up again. Trivia note: according to Voices of the Game, Curt Smith's excellent book on baseball announcers, before Ernie came to Detroit he did football as well as baseball on a regular basis. But then-Tiger owner John Fetzer didn't want his announcers taking on any outside projects that would interfere with the Tiger broadcasts, so except for a single year of Michigan State football (1963), Ernie became strictly a baseball guy from then on. Always wondered what it would be like to hear that familiar voice describing a touchdown run or field goal.

Yeah, I did forget about how Beckman declined a full-time position due to his committment w/Wolverine football... I just wish he would reconsider since to me he is the ideal fit to cover the Tigers, but yeah I also overlooked how he's also employed w/WJR and it wouldnt bode w/them if he became affiliated w/one of their rivals.... How about Larry Aderly or someone like that? Hes been around the Tigers for ages... Another choice could be Larry Henry... .It will be interesting in who they choose.. Most likely will be someone not currently in the Detroit market...