tiger337

Obscure Tigers heroes

Don't you actually have to do something to be a hero? Anybody can troll through old cards or baseball reference and find a guy we forgot about or who didn't play all tha tmuch. I want to see guys who had a memorable year or moment. Alexis Gomez and Pat Sheridan fit the bill.

You're right. Reading a few recent posts makes me think that people are either really stretching the definition of hero or else their standards aren't that high!

Purnal Goldy, a highly regarded outfield prospect with one of the "better" names in Tigers history. He played college ball at Temple, I believe. He only hit a handful of home runs in his career but I do remember the day he hit 2 of them in '62 or '63. Unfortunatly, he didn't lived up to the expectations, held out for him.:happy:

Edited by john doe

How about Dalton Jones, Pinch hitter, utility guy we got from the Boston Red Sox.... anyone remember who we traded for him and what year? No fair looking it up!

Oooo, oooo, I know, I know(I think). Tommy Matchick.

I'm not looking this up, but I'm gonna go with Dick McAulliffe. ??

Mac was traded for Ben Oglivie IIRC....

Glenn Wilson. I remember being totally bummed that the Tigers traded him and Johnny Wockenfuss to the Philles for some scrub backup first baseman named Bergman and a reliever I'd never heard of named Willie something.

Mark Lemongello made the majors...he had two years as a 200+ inning starter with Houston in the 70's.

My obscure heros are Mark Wagner and Steve Dillard. They were the platoon partners (even though Wagner hit RH like Tram did) that helped ease Tram and Whitaker into full time duty back in 1978.

Fernando Arroyo is a close second. He ate some innings on some really bad teams in the 70's...and ocasionally pitched a real gem in the process.