tiger337

Obscure Tigers heroes

This thread is for talking about obscure Tigers players that you'll never forget. These guys were either good for a very short time, or you remember them as good/potentially good players even though they weren't. I'll start with Gerry Ujdur. He came out of nowhere and had a Galarraga-eque year in 1982. I thought he was going to be a great pitcher for years to come but he never did anything again.

I remember Ujdur in 1982 as well, definitely a "flash in the pan" for sure!

I'll add Johnny B. Wockenfuss to the list. Couldn't run a lick, but hecould pop some home runs now and then. And I loved his closed stance and finger twitter at the plate.

I also remember Nelson Simmons going on a ridiculous tear, and will never forget Kevin Saucier's summer in the sun.

Pat Sheridan. He got a HR in the '87 series against Minny which ended up being one of the few bright spots of that postseason.

I really don't remember him being much of a player at all, other than that moment.

Marty Castillo playing third base in the playoffs in 1984 versus the Royals. Made one or two really amazing stop and throwouts.

Jim Walewander scoring the winning run in extra innings to salvage the last game of the series in Toronto on the second last weekend of the season in 1987....the rest of the season we all know happened. :happy:

Although not so great, I really enjoyed Brian L. Hunter's pursuit of 70 stolen bases in 1997.

And was it '98 or '99, I don't recall, but I loved Joe Randa.

His crockadile expressions when he would bat always made me laugh.

He seemed SO cocky, but it was just his natural look.

Kinda like a real life Beavis.

I second the mentions of Kevin Saucier and Champ Summers.

I would add a) Bruce Kimm (for being linked to the Fidrych magic), b) Tito Fuentes (I remember little except his bat twirling, but that's enough); and c) Steve Kemp (probably a stretch to refer to him as obscure, but mostly forgotten since the Chet Lemon trade - I remember the way his helmet used to fall off after running out ground balls).

Marty Castillo playing third base in the playoffs in 1984 versus the Royals. Made one or two really amazing stop and throwouts.

Not to mention catching Motley's popup for the final out against the Royals to win the pennant, as called by Ernie.

I remember Dalton Jones hitting what should have been a grand slam but passing a runner on the bases and only getting a single. It was in one of the games when Denny McClain came back from one of his suspensions and Tiger Stadium was pretty full. I always liked Jones and felt he never got enough playing time.

http://www.baseballlibrary.com/ballplayers/player.php?name=Dalton_Jones_1943

http://www.baseball-reference.com/boxes/DET/DET197007090.shtml

Stan Papi, just cuz i like his name!

Darnell Coles ... missed some games due to chicken pox, i believe?

And who can forget Rupert Jones and his obsession with his bat :)

I'll never forget Alexis Gomez.

This was going to be mine too. Game 2, ALCS and Leyland plays him on a hunch. 4 RBIs including a two-run shot. Awesome.

I always remember Jim Lentine leading off a game with a HR back in the early 80s.

I was surprised to see that that was the only HR he hit with the Tigers and he only played 67 games.

Les Cain. I believe he was one of the few African American pitchers that the Tigers had up to that point (Earl Wilson).

How about Michigan boy Vern Ruhle going 2-0 at the end of 1974 to raise everyone's expectations over the winter? From Olivet College to the majors to fleeting stardom.