Jump to content
Motor City Sonics

The Supreme Court

Recommended Posts

there are few things more useless than a congressional hearing on a judicial nominee.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

BetMGM Michigan $200 Free Offer - Launching Friday (1/22)

BetMGM Michigan Sports Betting
Michigan online sports betting is launching on Friday, January 22, 2021. Pre-register at BetMGM Sportsbook & Casino and get a free $200 bonus at their online sportsbook & casino with no deposit necessary.

Claim $200 at BetMGM Michigan Now

Especially considering that countless Republicans had already committed to voting for the Trump nominee even before anyone knew who the actual nominee was going to be.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, chasfh said:

Especially considering that countless Republicans had already committed to voting for the Trump nominee even before anyone knew who the actual nominee was going to be.

and that every democrat committed to voting against her.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The SC process has been the biggest change in my adult lifetime.  Go back and look at the confirmation votes... Ginsberg, 96-3...Scalia 98-0.... granted a lot of that has to do with who is being replaced and the ideological tilt or lack of it.   

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

democrats being smart and not going after her religion like they did last time. 

saving their speeches for obamacare rather than how the "dogma lives strongly within her."

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
32 minutes ago, Buddha said:

and that every democrat committed to voting against her.

Did any Democrats commit to voting against any candidate Trump put forward regardless of who it was? I honestly don't know.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, chasfh said:

Did any Democrats commit to voting against any candidate Trump put forward regardless of who it was? I honestly don't know.

not every republican committed to voting for her, but they all will (or they will have enough votes to confirm her and then decide whether collins or murkowski can "vote their conscience" and vote against her.

not every democrat committed to vote against her, but they all will except maybe manchin.

the public debates before now were less about acb and more about whether they should have the vote at all after what the republicans did to garland.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Buddha said:

not every republican committed to voting for her, but they all will (or they will have enough votes to confirm her and then decide whether collins or murkowski can "vote their conscience" and vote against her.

not every democrat committed to vote against her, but they all will except maybe manchin.

the public debates before now were less about acb and more about whether they should have the vote at all after what the republicans did to garland.

That was not my question.

This is my question:

I was wondering whether any Democrat committed to voting against Trump's nominee before any nominee was ever announced, in the same way some Republicans announced they would vote for any nominee Trump would put forth before any nominee was ever announced.

Bonus follow-up: how many on each side declared such? I don't know that, but I suspect more Republicans declared their's than Democrats (if any) did.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, chasfh said:

That was not my question.

This is my question:

I was wondering whether any Democrat committed to voting against Trump's nominee before any nominee was ever announced, in the same way some Republicans announced they would vote for any nominee Trump would put forth before any nominee was ever announced.

i dont know.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

but i think the arguments are the same.  democrats objected to holding the vote for acb while republicans are committed to holding the vote.  for garland, the republicans didnt say they were committed to voting AGAINST garland, rather they said the hearings shouldnt happen until after the election.

so i think your question misrepresents what happened.

which is not to excuse the republicans for not having hearings on garland, i think they should have done that.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

They are doing what they want because they have the power to do it.... regardless of "reasons".  It's not about duty.  It's about power.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
26 minutes ago, Oblong said:

They are doing what they want because they have the power to do it.... regardless of "reasons".  It's not about duty.  It's about power.  

absolutely.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
55 minutes ago, Buddha said:

but i think the arguments are the same.  democrats objected to holding the vote for acb while republicans are committed to holding the vote.  for garland, the republicans didnt say they were committed to voting AGAINST garland, rather they said the hearings shouldnt happen until after the election.

so i think your question misrepresents what happened.

which is not to excuse the republicans for not having hearings on garland, i think they should have done that.

So the Democrats objecting on equivalence grounds going forward with a rushed pre-election confirmation, and the Republicans committing to vote for whatever warm body appears before them, are equally distasteful? I disagree.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, chasfh said:

So the Democrats objecting on equivalence grounds going forward with a rushed pre-election confirmation, and the Republicans committing to vote for whatever warm body appears before them, are equally distasteful? I disagree.

that's not what i said, so you can disagree with whomever youre arguing with but its not me.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
28 minutes ago, Motown Bombers said:

 

says the person who is free to practice her religion any way she wants.

strawman strawwomen strawx.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
26 minutes ago, Motown Bombers said:

 

republicans are doing this to take control of the court, its not about one specific issue.

the best thing that could happen to the democrats is the supreme court repealing roe v wade and declaring obamacare unconstitutional.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, Buddha said:

says the person who is free to practice her religion any way she wants.

strawman strawwomen strawx.

and gets attacked and made fun of for it by those Christians in ways the Catholics did in the 19th century.

 

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Oblong said:

and gets attacked and made fun of for it by those Christians in ways the Catholics did in the 19th century.

 

or the way she attacks jews.  ilhan omar is the last person who should be throwing stones about an elected figure taking shots at someone else's religion.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


Michigan Sports Betting Offer

Michigan is launching online sports betting and casino apps on Friday, January 22, 2021. These top Michigan sportsbooks have pre-launch bonus offers. No deposit is required. Terms and conditions apply.

BetRivers Michigan - If you sign up at BetRivers Michigan now, you will receive $50 in free bets to use one their online sportsbook & casino

Click Here to claim $50 at BetRivers Michigan For Signing Up Now

FanDuel Michigan - If you register now before FanDuel launches in January, you will receive $100 to use at their sportsbook app & online casino.

Click Here to claim $100 at FanDuel Michigan For Registering Now

BetMGM Michigan - If you sign up early at BetMGM Michigan before launch, you will receive $200 in free bets to use at their online casino & sportsbook

Click Here to claim $200 at BetRivers Michigan For Signing Up Early

   


×
×
  • Create New...