Edman85

Where did Henning Get this?

http://detroitnews.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20081028/SPORTS0104/810280339/1129

...It is virtually certain they will not have interest in three relief pitchers who will be free agents: Kyle Farnsworth, Casey Fossum and Gary Glover. Nor are they apt to offer salary arbitration to either, given that none figures to finish as high as a Type B free agent (Elias Sports Bureau's rankings have not yet been released) -- that would earn the Tigers a high 2009 draft choice if they offered arbitration and the pitcher signed elsewhere.

Who's out there?

Attractive free agents who would fit any of the Tigers' needs are likely to be overly expensive or would cost the Tigers an early draft pick next year. Exhibit A there is Red Sox catcher Jason Varitek, a likely Type A free agent who would be a plausible answer to Detroit's need for a veteran catcher to assist likely starter Dusty Ryan.

Signing a Type A free agent can cost an acquiring team a first-round draft pick. But because the Tigers will be among the first 15 teams to draft in 2009 -- they will have the ninth overall selection -- they do not lose a first-round pick on a Type A acquisition. They instead would lose their second-round choice.

It's a scenario that could yet play out if the Tigers are able to dip into the free-agent pool to help their bullpen, although money would be the greater issue there. Money, too -- more than lost draft picks -- could make obtaining a free-agent shortstop (neither Rafael Furcal nor Cesar Izturis is likely to be even a Type B) difficult for a Tigers team that likely will be cutting, rather than adding, payroll

I changed the title, because I want to emphasize that I am not accusing him of plagiarism. Mods, can this be changed? Thanks

Is your information on the internet free for all to access?

He should attribute the source.

The real question is, are any of those guys even borderline? Or could their status just be an educated guess?

While I agree that Henning should give a shout out if he used Edman's info, it's also not out of the realm of possibility to think that he is just using his own intuition to make his statements regarding the likely Elias rankings.

The real question is, are any of those guys even borderline? Or could their status just be an educated guess?

Relative certainty are the two words Ed uses.

Relative certainty are the two words Ed uses.

Ah, I see. He should definitely give credit to Ed then.

Oops. I didn't bother reading Edman's most recent post. From the bolding I thought that meant he was just trying to point out the use of his Elias projections.

What Henning is doing looks a lot like plagiarism to me.

Perhaps Ed could edit that first post. It looks I wasn't the only person confused (sagnam tys thought the same thing as me).

Edit: I take it back. Edman's post is a quote from Henning's article. Not so much plagiarism. Looks to me that Henning likely used Ed's Elias projections, but that's debatable.

Now the question is if Ed has posted anything about Kirk Cousins in the last week

He should attribute the source.

I agree, if he in fact got them from Ed's blog. However, it isn't out of the realm of possibility that this is something Henning did. Regardless, it's some calculations that Ed did and made public for anyone to access, for free. I just think it's a bold statement without any direct evidence to say someone ripped you off, especially when it's information that is free and not Ed's exclusive rights.

I agree, if he in fact got them from Ed's blog. However, it isn't out of the realm of possibility that this is something Henning did. Regardless, it's some calculations that Ed did and made public for anyone to access, for free. I just think it's a bold statement without any direct evidence to say someone ripped you off, especially when it's information that is free and not Ed's exclusive rights.

I'm honestly not too worried about anything as far as retributions. I'm just calling out hackery.

If Gallup releases a poll that Candidate X is probably going to win an election does a writer have to credit Gallup if write that they think Candidate X is probably going to win an election?

I'm honestly not too worried about anything as far as retributions. I'm just calling out hackery.

Oh, there will be retribution!

I'm calling and subscribing, then canceling .. and I'll tell Mr. Junior SOB why i'm cancelling! NO ONE messes with Edman85!

If he did in fact take this from your blog I agree you should be given the credit you deserve. But do you think that it's possible that Henning just predicted what he thought these free agents might be. I mean, if I had to just make a guess on what type of free agents they might be I'd probably guess close to what he proposes.

If he did in fact take this from your blog I agree you should be given the credit you deserve. But do you think that it's possible that Henning just predicted what he thought these free agents might be. I mean, if I had to just make a guess on what type of free agents they might be I'd probably guess close to what he proposes.

But they are exact sentences that Edman posted in his blog. Word for word. Right?

Many other reputable blogs, especially http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/ has used Ed's info, but have given Ed his due. The fact of the matter is that Eddie cracked a very serious code, and his info is quite valuable.

Many other reputable blogs, especially http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/ has used Ed's info, but have given Ed his due. The fact of the matter is that Eddie cracked a very serious code, and his info is quite valuable.

MLBTR was a big help in helping me crack the rankings. I have given him the go-ahead to use them as he wishes. If stuff like this keeps going on, I may figure out a way to make them pay only next year.

That does look like almost word for word what Edman wrote.

Lynn's always been pretty accessible through email maybe you should contact him and see what's up?

But they are exact sentences that Edman posted in his blog. Word for word. Right?

No. The sentences that appear on Ed's blog are there because Ed was quoting Henning's article.

That being said, if Henning used Ed's info, he should have said something.

Edman,

I haven't followed any "history" between you or Lynn Henning so maybe I have issues there that you can fill me in with.

It seems to me that a list like this may be available in various places. I'm sure you are not the only one that put time into something like this. He probably saw your site, but couldn't have there been various sources that may have had projections like you have? I would have to think there would be others out there? Maybe I'm wrong. I don't know. Maybe he did some work himself as well. Maybe not as extensive as your list there, but couldn't have those guesses been made without even extensive work? Without understanding how you derived at your numbers it seems two of the three people you mentioned probably could've been "guessed" at the type of free agent they are listed at.

If he used various sources, he could've said something even as generic as "based on various sources"... but it's hard to say he wouldn't have access to something like your list through a variety of people and that he had to have used your list exclusively to create his thoughts. And, again, they are just thoughts.

I'm not questioning you in a derogatory manner here. Just wondering how you know it "HAD TO BE" from your site. Or even if he saw your site that this information wasn't able to be derived by other sources or even just by educated guesses without doing any great math.

I hope you don't take this the wrong way. Just wanting to know more of the background. I agree, he certainly could've reached those conclusions from your site. I can clearly see where that is obvious.