OldTimey

Lance isn't very good.

I thought Lance did quite well, actually. He's about a million times better than Al Kaline was his first season.

I thought Lance needs a little work. His delivery was poor, worse than Al Kaline's, but he's got a chance to improve. He's fairly new at it.

Lance was pretty damn good for someone who dated Morgan Fairchild and took all those drugs in the 80's. Maybe his brain is going from scrambled eggs to a cheese omlet. What a reclamation project for Beckman & Lane, at least in his post coaching career, he will not be selling pencils at Comerica.

I haven't had the pleasure of hearing Lance's work yet, been a little busy this week. From what I read here though, if his does need improvement, what better time to work on his new game than when the Tigers are losing and not very many people are watching the games?

And I agree, Kaline was terrible his first couple years.

ABS,

I laughed when I read about your underlying suck factor. No one is a bigger Lance Parrish fan than I am. He was my favorite player growing up so he still remains my favorite baseball personality.

Parrish wasn't that good. I'd have to admit that. But look at Laimbeer. At the start of the season this year he barely said a word. Now he's become a pretty good analyst - in less than a span of a year. It will be interesting to see if he can improve. I hope he does.

Oh and I hate Beckman too. At least Kaline kept that idiot in check.

I think Lance Parrish's heart isn't in broadcasting and he will jump at a coaching job if/when Tram gets a managerial position.

IMO Beckman, good football play by play guy horrid baseball baseball anouncer. There is too much time for him to say something dumb, he's got an nice voice and on the radio he's solid at describing action but he's the polar opposite of Ernie when it comes the down time his stories and anecdotes give me headaches. Lance needs some time Price and Kaline were really bad when they started and although neither will be mistaken for Red Barber but they grew into thier roles.

You know what soakitup, thanks for bringing up that point about Ernie, it reminded me of something. Last week when I was listening, and Ernie broke out with and old story about and old ballplayer, a guy I had never heard of and would have never heard of probably. It dawned on me what a valuable commodity Ernie is. No more stories from the 20's and 30's and whatnot after this year. Ernie was alive then, he "saw" the action, or read about it at least during the times it was happening. You can have Costas blab on and on about something that happened in the 30's, but to hear Ernie tell it, you know he KNOWS what he is talking about, and it sounds SO cool to know that he KNOWS this stuff, you know what I mean?

Details, it's all about details, and Ernie does a great job of that. I could tell you all I want about the 1968 Tigers and how great they were, but it wouldn't sound as cool than if you were talking to a guy like Billy Ringo about it. Ernie's old, which is good as far as his history background and the knowledge he has gained. He has forgotten NOTHING, that is what is so amazing. He talks as if the things just happened. And he doesn't even do it in a "let's cuddle up to Senile Ole' Gramps as he tells us old war stories" kind of way, the delivery is so smooth, gosh, I can't really explain it.

Just a little "by-the-way and FYI" point here that doesn't deserve its own thread, the Lions STILL lead the Tigers in victories 2 games to none.