BIG time

Draft plans for next year....

With our 1st round pick , pick up the best QB available.

with dallas pick the best OL avail

with our second rounder pick best ol avail

with our 3rd we need a DE, DT or LB

with dallas 3rd, grab D line again

then basically the rest for defence, unless an athletic TE is still around.

Or the lions should wait to see where they are drafting and who is available. Also they should take into account what free agents they sign.

Yes, I thnk they do have 3, 3rd rounders, and I have a feeling that packaging 3 3rd rounders could net you a middle 1st round pick (if you are a good GM).

The could go into this draft with 3 first rounders. Thank God Millen is gone.

They need to take the best player available at a position they need to fill and that's it. If the best player is an LB, then take him, if it's a QB, take him. They can take a high QB because they already know they will probably be bad next year and won't be forced to play him.

Just take the best available players....don't worry about system guys, don't worry about marketability, just take the best.

Yes, the have 3, 3rd rounders, I believe, and I have a feeling that packaging 3 3rd rounders could net you a middle 1st round pick (if you are a good GM).

packaging our 2nd and 2 3's could get you up into the low 20's. 3 3's won't get you higher than the mid to maybe top of the 2nd if a team has a lot of needs-like the Lions.

i don't see a need to go after a 3rd 1st round pick. this roster is going to have to be purged of all the Tampa 2 Bucs rejects, so the more picks in the top 3 rounds, the better. a non-millen gm should be able to turn all or nearly all of them starters.

Does Joey Harrington ring a bell???

When you have no supporting cast, a QB is NOT the pick you need...and sadly, 6 years after Joey, we still have no supporting cast.

OLine...Dline...LB...not a QB in the first...I'd even be in favor of trading one of those thirds away for someone like Derek Anderson.

LT, DE, DT, LB, CB, WR ...I think those need to be our priorities. The WR needs to be a burner who can return kicks.

LT, DE, DT, LB, CB, WR ...I think those need to be our priorities. The WR needs to be a burner who can return kicks.

How about a corner who can return kicks and play a little wideout if necessary...yes, I'm thinking of Darius Butler.

When you have no supporting cast, a QB is NOT the pick you need...and sadly, 6 years after Joey, we still have no supporting cast.

OLine...Dline...LB...not a QB in the first...I'd even be in favor of trading one of those thirds away for someone like Derek Anderson.

Why would you compare that draft class of QB's to this years draft class of QB's.....it's not even close.

And if we get a new GM in here, what else would you expect besides a new "franchise QB?" Kitna's done, Orlovsky doesn't even know where his feet are (see running out of bounds without noticing or being touched last game) on the field & his throws come out looking like duck farts, and who knows with Stanton. I'd be willing to trade too, but until we can see what happens, I'd say a new QB is right at the top of the list......

Ding ding! Correct answer.

I personally don't think Stafford is the answer, but haven't seen him play enough to give a legit opinion. But you can't compare drafting Joey to drafting another QB, Jay Cutler seems to be doing well in Denver, and we didn't draft him because of the results of drafting Joey. We can't let Millen's results keep us from making the right moves from here on out. I think the way to go is defensive ends, so you can disrupt the other team more effectively.

I'd much rather have a really mediocre QB but a significantly improved OL, DL, and/or LB corps, rather than some QB "prospect" (who could turn out to suck anyway) and the same piss-poor OL, DL, and defensive backs.

This is a ridiculous excuse. Grow a pair and draft a damn QB. Its the biggest need on the team and address it the same way you would any other position. There's busts at every position (Charles Rogers, Robert Gallery, etc.). Stop being a ***** a draft a QB.

I'd much rather have a really mediocre QB but a significantly improved OL, DL, and/or LB corps, rather than some QB "prospect" (who could turn out to suck anyway) and the same piss-poor OL, DL, and defensive backs.

I'm all for a great OL & Defense, but all these problems aren't going to get solved in this draft.....get a great OL, and keep Orlovsky back there & see how far that gets us.....even if he has all day, he still throws a pretty ugly looking ball & has happy feet. Not really two things I like in a QB......

It's looking like there are going to be some great QB's coming out this year, and it's pretty obvious that we're gunna need one. Just because Joey Ballgame sucked, and game out of a draft class that put out some of the most garbage QB's ever, doesn't mean we shouldn't ever draft a QB again.

Doesn't have to be Stafford (although I'd like it to be), doesn't have to be our first pick in the first round, but hopefully we get one of the top 3-5 QB's coming out/figured to come out (Stafford?, Bradford?, Tebow?, McCoy?.....we'll see how the rest of the year goes & find out). All I know is we've got guys at QB right now who have proved nothing, and even with the best line ever, they're still complete question marks.......

For sure take the QB. I'd like to see us take an OL w/ the next pick, but you have to see what is available. Though after the top 10 picks or so, maybe even after the top 5, I tend to draft for need rather than what's best available.

Yes, I thnk they do have 3, 3rd rounders, and I have a feeling that packaging 3 3rd rounders could net you a middle 1st round pick (if you are a good GM).

They need to take the best player available at a position they need to fill and that's it. If the best player is an LB, then take him, if it's a QB, take him. They can take a high QB because they already know they will probably be bad next year and won't be forced to play him.

Just take the best available players....don't worry about system guys, don't worry about marketability, just take the best.

Amen, the best way to approve the talent level on the Lions is to take the best player available, who can help you the most.

Detroit only has 2-3rd rounders in the 2009 draft. The 3rd rounder they got from Cleveland in the Shawn Rogers deal was a 2008 3rd rounder.

The following website shows an updated list of all the trades in upcoming drafts:

http://www.nfldraftsite.com/Trades.htm

This site also shows in the mock draft section that the 6th round pick they got from Dallas for Roy Williams is Miami's 6th rounder. They show Dallas' original 6th rounder was traded to Tennessee in the 'Pac-Man' deal.

you want a qb, jp lossman, rex grossman, brady quinn, john beck, most of these guys will probably be available and all will outplay the rookies in the draft.

you want a qb, jp lossman, rex grossman, brady quinn, john beck, most of these guys will probably be available and all will outplay the rookies in the draft.

I agree. I'd rather have any of these guys than take another freakin' QB or WR with the 1st round pick. This team is doomed if they don't build from the inside out.

This happens every year, it's a cycle of futility. They draft some "stud" QB or WR or RB, but the OL and DL suck, said "stud" doesn't pan out, the team sucks as a whole b/c no serious effort has been put into building up the OL or DL (or defense in general), the next draft comes and people say, again, we need another QB or WR. I'm tired of it. Build this team the right way.

You seem pretty sure about four guys who haven't really shown much consistency in their careers.....

JP Losman - Pretty good year in 2006, which was the only year he actually started the whole year, but he declined in a major way last year, which made room for Edwards to take his spot. Still young & has potential, but wouldn't say he'll outplay all the rookies coming out next year....that is if he finds a team to start on.....

Rex Grossman - Seriously? Uhhh yeah, next.....

Brady Quinn - Probably the most intriguing out of the four you listed, but still raw & the Browns will most likely want a decent amount for this former first rounder. Would you give up a lot for a guy who has thrown 8 career passes in real NFL games? Actually, I don't even know if they'd get rid of Quinn anyways......I think the more likely scenario would be trading Anderson, who would most likely come at a cheaper price, but at the same time, he's a guy who had a great year last year, but the year before that & this year have been sketchy to say the least.

John Beck - Another young, raw QB who has barely played in the NFL, and in the games he did play, his numbers weren't too good (1 TD, 3 INT's, Sacked 10 times, 7 Fumbles). What makes you think that's evidence of him finding a starting job anywhere or producing better than the rookie QB's?

...This site also shows in the mock draft section that the 6th round pick they got from Dallas for Roy Williams is Miami's 6th rounder...

Why does Dallas have our 4th rounder?

1st OT

1stb Best DE/CB/S, as in Selbie, Smith or Moore

2nd OG

3rd Best Dlinemen available (good value here perhaps)

3rd Best DE/CB/S available

4th under the radar playmaking defensive player

5th more defense

6th more defense

This would signify an organization serious about winning in the near future.

Notice a trend?

1st OT

1stb Best DE/CB/S, as in Selbie, Smith or Moore

2nd OG

3rd Best Dlinemen available (good value here perhaps)

3rd Best DE/CB/S available

4th under the radar playmaking defensive player

5th more defense

6th more defense

This would signify an organization serious about winning in the near future.

Notice a trend?

This is the wrong way to pick players. What if you grade a QB or RB much higher where you're picking at one of these spots? You can't let talent get away like that. There is plenty of time to evaluate the players. There will be extra picks to allow the Lions to take the better players, and fill the needs later. I know one thing, the Lions must get some speed players in this draft, although this doesn't seem to be a stopwatch friendly year.

Also, a name to remember: DE Brian Orapko of Texas, for the first pick.