Sign in to follow this  
Oblong

Final hit photo

Seeing Chad Kreuter catching there. Am I right in remembering that he also put one out of Tiger stadium in '93?

Seeing Chad Kreuter catching there. Am I right in remembering that he also put one out of Tiger stadium in '93?

Yes he did. Kreuter had bulked up in the off season and I remember Sparky saying something smart alecky about it, like he did with Lance 10 years prior.

what I like about the photo is the lack of names on the jersey gives it a Rockwellian thing about it.

And the lack of a face as well. It's a great photo. Too bad Kreuter is there in all his named and hockey goalie helmeted glory.

Also, where did you find the photo? Is there a higher resolution version out there?

A Free Press story on the stadium funding had a link to a photo gallery for the final game. It was in that gallery. What a beautiful September day that was. I loved that the game was at 4. We went out after the game with some friends who were there and it was just a total Tiger day. One of my best baseball experiences ever.

Is that Rob Fick hitting a grand slam for the final hit at Tiger Stadium...one that landed on the RF roof before bouncing back down to the grassy outfield?

Fick wore Stormin Norman Cash's number because the Tigers were wearing numbers of past Tiger greats in this final contest at Tiger Stadium to remember the old time stars.

What's it a photo of? Who is the batter and why isn't his name on his uni?

It's Robert Fick hitting the last hit at Tiger Stadium (Ficks Grand Salami).

I'm guessing the names aren't there because they were wearing classic unis? I think?

Ray Lane's incoherent ramblings really ruined the broadcast.

That game ranks #2 behing game 4 of the ALDS in 2006. I'm not sure anything will ever top those outside of a walkoff WS win.

I would still love to have a higher resolution photo if anyone knows where I can find one.

I'm not a photography buff but is that possible with a film camera? That was 1999 after all.

It came from the Free Press, contact them. Maybe you can buy it.

I'm not a photography buff but is that possible with a film camera? That was 1999 after all.

It came from the Free Press, contact them. Maybe you can buy it.

Yeah, it's possible. As it is likely film, it is not limited by any resolution. I would just need to find a version of the photo that was converted to digital at a higher resolution. I'll try to see if the Free Press has it.

Ray Lane's incoherent ramblings really ruined the broadcast.

Was it Lane that was yelling, "KALINE CALLED IT!"? Because yeah, that may have been the worst home run call I've heard.

-Tony

No, that was Beckman. He was bad too but Lane sounded drunk or senile.

Lane was the one rambling about Santa Clause and the Lumber Yard.