blue

Lions 2009 NFL Draft: Early Thoughts

Quarterbacks don't have to be drafted in the first round. The draft is 7 rounds (8 actually), and the Lions will have at least 10 picks. We don't know who will be doing the picking, but the talent at the top would include SS William Moore of Missouri, LB's Maualaga and Lauranitis, WR's Maclin and Crabtree, the three top tackles (Monroe, Smith and Oher) are terrific, as is CB Davis from Illinois. I'd love for the Lions to select one of the top tackles, and slide Backus to LG, but I doubt if that will happen. The Lions need some game breaking speed, of which they don't have (besides Calvin Johnson and perhaps Cliff Avril). The problem is, the speed is usually gone early.

I can't wait to see what they say if the new GM comes in & drafts a WR.

I can't wait to see what they say if the new GM comes in & drafts a WR.

If we are losing Roy and McDonald, I certainly think WR becomes a priority, but not necessarily a first round one. I wouldn't argue with a second or third round pick thought.

side note: Anyone else noticed how we stopped running a west coast offense years ago and we just now have the personnel for it?

The best qb's are juniors this year; Tebow, Stafford and Bradford. All are first round candidates and Stafford and Bradford potential top 5 - 10 picks. What do you do if all come out for the 2009 draft?

If by the end of the season Orlovsky and Stanton do not look good then you are almost forced to take a Stafford or Bradford as your 1st pick since their coming out early severley depletes the class of 2010.

Of course this will not help you win in 2009 but it will give the new guys a franchise qb to build around. In our division only Green Bay has had that sort of player over the last decade and even though the Bears and Vikings may have had more overall talent, Green Bay has always been the team to beat.

The best qb's are juniors this year; Tebow, Stafford and Bradford. All are first round candidates and Stafford and Bradford potential top 5 - 10 picks. What do you do if all come out for the 2009 draft?

If by the end of the season Orlovsky and Stanton do not look good then you are almost forced to take a Stafford or Bradford as your 1st pick since their coming out early severley depletes the class of 2010.

Of course this will not help you win in 2009 but it will give the new guys a franchise qb to build around. In our division only Green Bay has had that sort of player over the last decade and even though the Bears and Vikings may have had more overall talent, Green Bay has always been the team to beat.

Well, first--to quibble--Sam Bradford is a redshirt sophomore and (as of right now) all signs are pointing to him spending at least one more year in college.

If we have a shot at Stafford, I personally wouldn't take him because I think it would be a similar problem that we had with Harrington...young QBs can get shell shocked if they don't have talent around them. Matt Ryan and Joe Flacco have pretty darn good teams this year.

There is a second tier of QBs (Harper/Cantwell/Daniel) that would be attractive but probably not any sort of upgrade.

As of right now I think we would be better served long term in going with Orlovsky or even Kitna (on a one-year contract) and drafting the pieces for the future.

Quarterbacks aren't exactly running out--2010 could end up being attractive for QBs as well--Bradford/Clausen/Freeman/McCoy/Grothe. Meanwhile, I don't mind the 2009 Free Agent Crop as a short term option (Losman, Boller, Garrard)

Speaking from a purely offensive standpoint, I don't think they should worry about a WR until their running game is put together (the right line, the right combo of backs). They already have a go-to guy in Calvin, and until they are a threat to run, it won't matter what kind of WR's they have.

Well, first--to quibble--Sam Bradford is a redshirt sophomore and (as of right now) all signs are pointing to him spending at least one more year in college.

If we have a shot at Stafford, I personally wouldn't take him because I think it would be a similar problem that we had with Harrington...young QBs can get shell shocked if they don't have talent around them. Matt Ryan and Joe Flacco have pretty darn good teams this year.

There is a second tier of QBs (Harper/Cantwell/Daniel) that would be attractive but probably not any sort of upgrade.

As of right now I think we would be better served long term in going with Orlovsky or even Kitna (on a one-year contract) and drafting the pieces for the future.

Quarterbacks aren't exactly running out--2010 could end up being attractive for QBs as well--Bradford/Clausen/Freeman/McCoy/Grothe. Meanwhile, I don't mind the 2009 Free Agent Crop as a short term option (Losman, Boller, Garrard)

If Bradford is a top-5 pick it would be in his best interests to come out in 2009. The early consensus is that Bradford and Stafford are franchise type QBs, the type you don't pass on unless you already have a franchise QB.

I agree with the 'shell shock' theory which is why you would sit him for most of 2009. A new coach and GM could afford to give him that year of learning experience which is why I said he would not help us in 2009.

Undoubtably there are other QB's that may or may not develop, the Lions have certainly had their share over the last 50 years. What I'm saying is that if there is consensus 'sure-thing' QB available the Lions cannot afford to pass him up. The value of a QB is the highest value of any position on the field.

Stafford is a little bit different than most young QB's. He can flat out throw the ball. He's up in rarified air with the Cutlers, Elways, Favres, and Bert Jones's of the world.

With Dan "Oh, wow.. what a poor decision", Drew "Who?" Stanton and Drew "I suck at two sports" Henson leading the Lions offense, a top two pick is a lock.

Stafford is a little bit different than most young QB's. He can flat out throw the ball. He's up in rarified air with the Cutlers, Elways, Favres, and Bert Jones's of the world.

Along with the Todd Blackledge's and the Ryan Leaf's.

Prospects are prospects and I LOVE Stafford but there are other positions that Lions need serious help on.

With an extra 1st and 3rd this is what I think we should be targeting.

1-OT

1-LB

2-DE

3-CB

3-OG

I'll cross-post this here. http://www.motownsports.com/forums/showpost.php?p=1657261&postcount=74

For McShottey. I ran his Drafttek deal and the Lions got:

1a. Michael Oher OT Mississippi

1b. Greg Hardy DE Mississippi

2. Duke Robinson OG Oklahoma

3a. Fili Moala DT USC

3b. Keenan Lewis CB Oregon St

No linebacker bothers me a little.

With an extra 1st and 3rd this is what I think we should be targeting.

1-OT

1-LB

2-DE

3-CB

3-OG

I'd prefer

1-BPA

1-BPA

2-BPA

3-BPA

3-BPA

BTW, I like that you guys have Moala down in the ratings. He's played like a 2nd or 3rd round guy and at 6'5 is physically much more comparable to a LaJuan Ramsey than he is a Sedrick Ellis or Mike Patterson. I'll be shocked if he has a monster workout to vault him into the mid/early 1st round. The Kiper #1 overall prediction last summer was laughable.

What makes this even cooler is we can root against the Cowboys so we have a higher draft pick. So, when Roy runs the wrong route and there's an interception I can get even more excited.

What makes this even cooler is we can root against the Cowboys so we have a higher draft pick. So, when Roy runs the wrong route and there's an interception I can get even more excited.

Awesome

BTW, I like that you guys have Moala down in the ratings.

I personally have him higher because I think teams will overrate him at the combine. From my mock

Moala, right now, is a boarder-line first round pick. I put him as a top-15 because his athletic ability will shine in workouts and at the combine. Meanwhile, his lack of production following the loss of teammates Laurence Jackson and Sedrick Ellis could hold him back. He is an elite tackle prospect who is A+ against the pass but could suffer at the pro level against double teams.

What makes this even cooler is we can root against the Cowboys so we have a higher draft pick. So, when Roy runs the wrong route and there's an interception WE can all be excited. Not just me.

I edited this so it's better now.

I like this simulation better.

1.01 Michael Oher OT Mississippi

1.27 Greg Hardy DE Mississippi

2.33 Dannell Ellerbe ILB Georgia

3.65 Fili Moala DT USC

3.91 Dallas Reynolds OG BYU

I edited the priorities to QB-3, WR-5, ILB-2, CB-4

I think I should have made CB even lower 5 or 6 because I like Bodden and Smith. I also think I should have lowered OLB to (4-6) because I think Dizon will have to move to the outside to even have a chance to make it in this league.

I agree with taking the best player available at every spot, just hopefully the new guys opinion of who the best player available is much more accurate than millens was...the lions need good players everywhere, and they need to not pass people up for reaches like with Cherilus and Sims

I like this simulation better.

1.01 Michael Oher OT Mississippi

1.27 Greg Hardy DE Mississippi

2.33 Dannell Ellerbe ILB Georgia

3.65 Fili Moala DT USC

3.91 Dallas Reynolds OG BYU

I edited the priorities to QB-3, WR-5, ILB-2, CB-4

I think I should have made CB even lower 5 or 6 because I like Bodden and Smith. I also think I should have lowered OLB to (4-6) because I think Dizon will have to move to the outside to even have a chance to make it in this league.

Dizon would have to play SLB in that scenario (not saying thats a bad thing) Ellerbe isn't a good enough athlete to play outside.

Dizon would have to play SLB in that scenario (not saying thats a bad thing) Ellerbe isn't a good enough athlete to play outside.

Yes, I'd want Dizon to play on the outside.

In my messing around with the simulator, I came across this name-- Nathan Brown

That's the kind of QB I would take in this draft(if at all). You don't give up on Stanton till he has at least seen the field.

Stafford is over rated.

Macklin would be a nice pick not as a WR but as a return man cuz we need some serious help at that position.