blue

Lions 2009 NFL Draft: Early Thoughts

I couldn't find a thread already on this.

It seems highly plausible that the Lions will get at least a top 5 pick this year. Who should they take? What should they be looking for?

Personally, I think this team must lean HEAVILY towards building up the DL and OL. Build from the inside out. They haven't really tried to do this during the entire Millen regime. Without a good pass rush, the secondary will always suffer and teams will score loads on the Lions. Without a good OL, the run game will continue to stink and, whoever the next QB, he won't be comfortable in the pocket. Who are the best DL and OL prospects available?

I think it would be a mistake to try to pick some stud QB, WR, or RB. Even a good CB can only do so much for so long if the Lions' pass rush still sucks.

Okay, I'm looking at Rivals.com 2009 Mock Draft from this past April. Here are some of the guys listed in the first round. Maybe some more knowledgeable people can speak about these prospects.

DEFENSIVE LINE

Fili Moala, DT, USC

The 300-pounder is stout and his value goes far beyond numbers — he makes his teammates better, too. He is versatile enough to play in any defensive scheme.

Maurice Evans, DE, Penn State*

Very strong at the point of attack for a player who is such a good pass rusher (12½ sacks in '07). He uses good leverage and is considered a smart player. Some feel he's a better long-term prospect than Chris Long.

Michael Johnson, DE, Georgia Tech

Looking for a potential combine warrior in 2009? Johnson could be it. He's only made one college start, but scouts swear by the former basketball player's athleticism and upside.

Sen'Derrick Marks, DT, Auburn

No interior lineman in the country plays consistently better than Marks. He is outstanding against the run and shows flashes as a pass rusher. Some think he's a Warren Sapp-type.

Greg Middleton, DE, Indiana*

NFL teams covet pass-rushing ends, and Middleton – who led the nation with 16 sacks last season – is just that. He was a consensus All-Big Ten selection.

George Selvie, DE, South Florida*

Considered a little on the light side, but is highly productive. Named Big East defensive player of the year in 2007. Has a great first step and very good athleticism.

OFFENSIVE LINE

Michael Oher, OT, Ole Miss

Many were surprised the Tennessee native decided to return, but the move will likely make him a top-10 pick. He has made 34 consecutive starts and is a left tackle at the next level.

Eugene Monroe, OT, Virginia

He replaced former first-round pick D'Brickashaw Ferguson as the Cavs' left tackle, and soon he will follow in Ferguson's footsteps by hearing his name called in the first round.

Alex Boone, OT, Ohio State

Returns for his third full season as the Buckeyes' left tackle. He has prototypical size, but can get stronger. It's unclear if he's best suited for the left or right side in the NFL, but this will be a very telling season for Boone.

Andre Smith, OT, Alabama*

No offensive tackle - not even Oher - has more upside than Smith. However, Smith is battling weight issues that have slowed him. He could be a special left tackle, much in the mold of Flozell Adams, who can protect and run block with the best of them.

I been on the George Salvie bandwagon for some time now....this guy is a beast and gets double teamed most of the time..CAN'T GO WRONG with this pick!!!

I like Selvie...he's a bit small, but he was consistently beating Pitt's OT this week by using his hands and taking an insiude route to the passer/ball carrier rather than just relying on his speed to rush from the edge

I think the lines are the best way to build a team as well, it takes guts though, and it just isn't as flashy for a GM to build the lines. The lines are the key though, on defense a good line can make up for mediocre linebackers and db's, on offense a good line can make a mediocre qb/rb perform.

That said, I want the Lions to draft defense, defense and more defense. A good defense is easier to build, and more consistantly performing then a good offense.

Selvie isnt a top 5 pick talent. We would likley have to trade down for him to make sense.

It is a weak wideout crop...unless Crabtree and Maclin come out.

I dont like taking offensive lineman very early. I like Belicheks system of taking big lineman with potential later. Alex Boone of OSU, has been a bing drinker since he was 14.

Alot of good backs could be out there and id hope we would take a look at one.

I also wish we would draft atleast one QB a year like Ron Wolf used to do. There isnt alot of big time seniors. Some juniors who I could be intrested in would be Stafford from Georgia...he looks like he has a very legit NFL arm. Also, Dan LeFevour would be a good learning guy and Josh Freeman as well. Mark Sanchez from USC looks good but he hasnt played enough. Some late real projects could be guys like Cal's Longshore, or MSU's Hoyer. Avoid guys like Cantwell, Harrell, and Daniel.

With some many good linebackers, I dont think we could go to wrong there. Best LB draft in years.

TE Travis Beckum of Wisconsin reminds me of Winslow with the Browns, a real field strecher., who can lineup in the slot.

Other guys I want to watch are Colorado DT George Hypolite (great person), Michigan DT Will Johnson (So strong), and a lineman from Memphis...I think his last name is West (a leader).

Looks like they can focus the draft on QB, OL, DL, TE, LB, and DB. If they choose not to franchise Williams minds well add WR.

Quarterbacks don't have to be drafted in the first round. The draft is 7 rounds (8 actually), and the Lions will have at least 10 picks. We don't know who will be doing the picking, but the talent at the top would include SS William Moore of Missouri, LB's Maualaga and Lauranitis, WR's Maclin and Crabtree, the three top tackles (Monroe, Smith and Oher) are terrific, as is CB Davis from Illinois. I'd love for the Lions to select one of the top tackles, and slide Backus to LG, but I doubt if that will happen. The Lions need some game breaking speed, of which they don't have (besides Calvin Johnson and perhaps Cliff Avril). The problem is, the speed is usually gone early.

First trade down - then draft . . . OL, DL

That will improve their speed how? That's how a team gets even slower. They need speed more than they need linemen.

What do you all think of Chase Daniel? He is only 6 foot tall, but could be possibly available in 2nd round.

What do you all think of Chase Daniel? He is only 6 foot tall, but could be possibly available in 2nd round.

Second round would be a reach for Daniel.

Drafttek-Oct 7

1. Michael Johnson (DE-Ga Tech)

2. Danell Ellerbe (ILB-Georgia)

3. Anthony Parker (OG-Tennessee)

Too early, boss. Gotta get some times on 'em. Then, I'll let you know. :classic:

Once again, it's never too early.

I'm watching as many college games as I can, but until I can get some definitive numbers (i.e. combine), it's drawing straws for me.

We also don't have the first clue who will be doing the picking for the Lions, and who the HC will be.

I'm watching as many college games as I can, but until I can get some definitive numbers (i.e. combine), it's drawing straws for me.

We also don't have the first clue who will be doing the picking for the Lions, and who the HC will be.

Well yes, all mocking is drawing straws, even the morning of the draft. But as I've discussed in this forum before, I personally don't believe it is ever too early to discuss team needs and consequently the players who may fill them. I have never meant to discuss drafttek as a perfect prediction tool, but rather a means to discussion.

Too early, boss. Gotta get some times on 'em. Then, I'll let you know. :classic:

Whereas I agree that combine times and measurements help the process, you and I both know what happens on the field matters more. The "big board" of drafttek is compiled of many different collegiate scouting sources. Its not like we're picking names out of a hat here.

Second round would be a reach for Daniel.

I agree, but due to nothing he's done. Daniel is a more athletic Drew Brees in my mind. He will always get flack for not being "prototypical" size but he gets it done on the field.

That being said, unless I get some pretty serious discussion to the contrary I refuse to believe QB is even a relevant need let alone pressing. If Stanton isn't the answer, we don't need another rookie and should be looking at the free agent crop (KFFL List)