wockenfussy

Pudge: 55-53; Pudgeless: 19-35.

Pure and simple it's time to get younger and less expensive, not older. Pudge adds little to the prospects of the 2009 Tigers.

The chemistry needs a shakeup and so does the talent.

Pudge played well this year for the most part..but all things end..I tip my hat and say lets get on with it..

Good teams and good business are in constant evolution with parts of their staff..The brilliant Scotty Bowman says " Id rather trade them a year early, instead of a year too late".

Adios Pudge..good luck.

Vina signed. White signed. Pudge signed for the same reasons those guys did. The Tigers were the only team that offered him a four year deal. I'm glad they got him but I see him as nothing but a mercenary.

People will argue that Pudge made it easier for them to sign free agents but they got rejected by almost every free agent after 2004. They still had to desperately offer a really long term deal to a guy with a bum knee.

2006 doesn't happen with a whole bunch of players. Pudge isn't the only one. And I was not impressed by his performance and behavior in 2005.

I wasn't impressed with his performance in 2005, 2006, or 2007. He had a great year in 2004, and he had a pretty good year in 2008 before being traded. I agree with everything else you said, we've long shared similar opinions on this matter.

The Tigers could've signed any free agent they wanted if only they offered a $30 mil./yr. contract. Sound crazy? Well that's essentially how they got Rodriguez........they offered him waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay more than anyone else would have. Nobody was willing to give him more than 1 year and the Tigers gave him four with an option for a fifth. Carlos Guillen re-signing last year for clearly less than market value impresses me. Rodriguez signing for dramatically more than the rest of the market was willing to give does not impress me. As Lee said, I view him as a mercenary. Not some guy who "gave the Tigers a chance when no one else would".

In doing some very quick math this morning, I've determined (correctly I hope) that the Tigers won-loss record in 2008 was 55-53 with Pudge on the roster and 19-35 following his trade to the Yankees.

If this has already been said - my apologies.

So if we had Pudge, we may have finished a few games over .500? What does that get us exactly?

The downfall in the 19-35 part of our season was hardly the result of Pudge not being here. This team was going to slide with or without him. I mean, I could say Pudge didn't make that much of a difference by referencing that we were 13-17 with Pudge in the lineup vs. divisional opponents.

What killed us at the end of the season was the fact that this team mailed it in, and Pudge wouldn't have stopped that. We had an 8-18 September. What exactly Pudge does to stop that is beyond me. I mean after all, teh Yankees were 16-17 in games in which Pudge appeared in. So it's not like he's the game-breaker.

He's a good catcher who's getting older and is likely to not be productive unless he's in a platoon role going forward. IMO. It's best to look to the future and not to the past, at least as far as our catching is concerned.

What killed us in August and September:

Rogers and Robertson tanking

Complete bullpen implosion

Slumps by Granderson, Inge, and Joyce (actually Inge was in a slump all year)

Guillen's injury

I like to see the Yankees before and after Pudge record. The Yankees went in the tank as soon as Pudge arrived. I don't think the Tigers or Yankees decline had anything to do with Pudge.

The Tigers suck after the trade deadline EVERY YEAR.

It's a coincidence that Pudge was traded right before our traditional meltdown.

Yup.

I like to see the Yankees before and after Pudge record. The Yankees went in the tank as soon as Pudge arrived. I don't think the Tigers or Yankees decline had anything to do with Pudge.

Before: 59-49

After: 30-24

About the same.

The funny thing about this thread is that people have been doing this for quite some time, bemoaning the loss of a player regardless of how well that player has done since leaving. A lot of people were cursing the trade of Mike Maroth last year, even as he was getting beaten around in a Cardinals uni. The same is true of everybody traded to the Marlins except Maybin, and several other players.