http://www.freep.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20081001/SPORTS06/81001014/1054/rss19

WR Ricardo Miller gives a verbal and becomes Michigans first 2010 commitment.

Top-flight receiver is Michigan’s first 2010 commitment

By JOSH HELMHOLDT • FREE PRESS SPECIAL WRITER • October 1, 2008

The first commitment in four of Michigan’s last five recruiting classes has gone on to be ranked among the top 100 prospects in their respective classes, with three of those players having reached five-star status. That bodes well for Orlando (Fla.) Dr. Phillips receiver Ricardo Miller who made a verbal pledge to Michigan Monday night to become the Wolverines’ first commitment in the 2010 class.

Advertisement

"I've always dreamed of playing with the Wolverines, and it seems like right now my dreams are coming true,” Miller said after making the commitment. "I'm just thankful that Coach (Rich) Rodriguez wants me to be on his team and I actually have a chance to play with such a big, big school.”

The 6-3, 203-pound Miller should have no problem living up to the success of his first-commitment predecessors at Michigan. He stood out this past June among a talented group of junior and senior wide receivers at Michigan’s summer camp and is considered one of the top wide receivers in the state of Florida, regardless of class.

“The main thing that stands out about Ricardo is he is the best route runner I’ve seen in the entire state of Florida, which is impressive because we’ve got a lot of great receivers this year,” commented FlaVarsity.com publisher Michael Langston. “He reminds me a lot of (Mario) Manningham who used to be at Michigan.”

That Michigan was able to secure Miller’s pledge comes as no surprise. Florida, Stanford, South Florida, Tennessee and Central Florida extended official offers to the Orlando area receiver in the last month, but he made it clear that he was waiting on the Michigan offer. He received that offer from Coach Rodriguez on Monday evening and immediately offered the commitment.

Michigan was an attractive destination to Miller for several reasons, not the least of which was his family’s ties to the state. Miller’s mother graduated from the University of Michigan with the class of 1988 and the family lived in the Flint area when Ricardo was young.

Miller will return to Michigan again on Oct. 25 as a recruiting visitor for the Wolverines’ home match up against Michigan State. Joining him that day will be Eagle Lake (Fla.) Lake Region’s Marvin Robinson, considered by many the nation’s top safety in the class of 2010 and also a close friend of Miller’s.

Josh Helmholdt is the recruiting editor for The Wolverine Magazine and TheWolverine.com. He is also a national recruiting analyst for Rivals.com.

http://mgoblog.com/content/hello-ricardo-miller-2010

GURU RATINGS & CHATTER

There aren't any yet, but a friend of the blog who works for Florida Football Magazine conveniently brought Miller up apropos of nothing in an IM conversation yesterday. The oracle spake thusly:

As you'll see in the magazine we're really high on Ricardo Miller. Like super high. Like best receiver in the class of 2010 high.

It's not clear whether he meant "in Florida" or "in the universe" but those two things aren't often that different. The magazine itself ranks Miller the #2 player in Florida's the class of 2010, saying this:

Big, strong, and fast, Miller could be playing for a major college right now but he's only a junior. He was the star of many off-season 7-on-7 tournaments.

Miller's an outside receiver at 6'2" or 6'3" and between 180 and 205 pounds.

http://varsityblue.blogspot.com/2008/09/ricardo-miller-goes-blue.html

Ricardo Miller Goes Blue

GoBluewolverine is reporting that Ricardo Miller, a Wide Receiver/Tight End from Orlando's Dr. Phillips High School has given his word to become Michigan's first commitment in the class of 2010. Miller is a big receiver at 6-2 and over 200 pounds.

Recruiting Notes

Miller has always been aware of Michigan, as his mom is an alumna (who favored Michigan as a destination for Ricardo). However, Michigan fans first became aware of him when he attended the summer 2008 Rich Rodriguez Football Camp for the entire week. He also attended the Friday Night Lights camp at the University of Florida, but still seemed to be favoring Michigan. Through these events, Miller formed friendships with Michigan 2010 targets Marvin Robinson (who also appears to favor Michigan early in the process) and Jeremy Jackson (the son of RB coach Fred Jackson). In August, Miller went on the record saying that Michigan was his leader (info in header), and made plans for a fall visit to Ann Arbor for the Michigan State game. However, it didn't take Miller that long to pull the trigger, and he became Michigan's first 2010 commit tonight.

Player Notes

As previously noted, Miller is a big wideout, who may find his home at Michigan as an athletic pass-catching TE. In fact, tight end is where he spends most of his time on offense for Dr. Phillips, and he even has enough size to play defensive end on the other side of the ball. However, without a growth spurt, I would expect him to stay at WR on offense, being a big red zone threat. He has very good speed for a TE (decent for a WR), and is even known to take a tight end-around or two for his high schol team. He also has a big body, allowing him to overpower defenders, and he has decent hands. As a blocker, he is good on the high school level, but would need to improve his strength to block D-I defensive linemen.

Youtube highlight video here:

A totally unnecessary step that will take this forum into depths of recruiting dorkiness it has never seen before.

A totally unnecessary step that will take this forum into depths of recruiting dorkiness it has never seen before.

What are you talking about?

WR Jeremy Jackson, son of Michigan RBs coach Fred Jackson, has also committed to Michigan.

2010 info is getting put into game threads and the 09 thread, it was necessary.

Word.

Plus, spartanmag reported on the radio that Will Gholston is close to committing to MSU. Fingers crossed :nervous:

Hey, stick around Hongbit, just think of how many 3 and 4 STAR PARADES are going to be talked about in this thread .. you'll love it;)

Then my 2011 and 2012 will also be deemed as necessary. Basketball recruiting is starting to heat up too and they pluck em much younger these days. It's not uncommon for 8th and 9th graders to commit early so I think its necessary to have a separate threads for each class from 2009 - 2014. I'd hate for any information to get put into the wrong year thread since the precedant has been set that we are incapable of operating with just a single recruiting thread at a time.

Then my 2011 and 2012 will also be deemed as necessary. Basketball recruiting is starting to heat up too and they pluck em much younger these days. It's not uncommon for 8th and 9th graders to commit early so I think its necessary to have a separate threads for each class from 2009 - 2014. I'd hate for any information to get put into the wrong year thread since the precedant has been set that we are incapable of operating with just a single recruiting thread at a time.

The next basketball recruiting thread will be the first.

In football, if a guy gives a verbal, I don't think its too early to have a thread about it.

Hongbit, in all seriousness .. I agree that this thread may be a bit premature, though if Marvin Robinson gives UM a verbal here soon, that's going to be three potentially top tier recruits to start a class, which is the best start I have ever seen Michigan get, and worth talking about .. a little.

I understand your point though...

Miller will not be a TE, especially in Rodriguez's offense.

How is this thread not a good idea?

I'm just giving people a hard time. I do that sometimes.

I agree that anything which takes the conversation away from the pending losing season is a good idea for UM fans.

We need to pass a MTS law...

The 2010 Recruiting Thread shall not be created until the day after the 2009 LOI signing day. And 2011 shall not be created until after the 2010 LOI signing day.

Max Bullough has verbalized to MSU:

http://www.*************.com/

Last week LB Max Bullough informed Mark Dantonio and his staff that he would be coming to MSU. Bullough is a much sought after LB recruit who held offers from Notre Dame and many other well respected schools.

Great start to the class of 2010. Him and Norman are going to be amazing to watch at the LB position. Another smart dude too, with a 3.96 gpa. Now lets get Gholston on in here. :happy:

haha, really? spartan nation dot com is blocked out? Thats really damn funny if you think about it.

My guess would be they spammed this board at some time.

For sure, SV does it all the time! :grin:

Touche! :cheeky:

I just thought it was funny, because I hate when people use the term "nation" anything. So itd be hilarious if MWG automatically blocked anything claiming to be a nation of any sports team.

Max Bullough has verbalized to MSU:

http://www.*************.com/

Great start to the class of 2010. Him and Norman are going to be amazing to watch at the LB position. Another smart dude too, with a 3.96 gpa. Now lets get Gholston on in here. :happy:

I know it's many months before they start ranking 2010, but will Bullough be a 2 or a 3 star?

He's on the ESPN150 watch list. He will be a solid 4 stars.

http://insider.espn.go.com/ncf/recruiting/tracker/prospects?firstName=&lastName=bullough&season=2010

Stop the presses, ESPN has a link for 2010 recruits. :rambo:

How does ESPN have MSU ranked this year? Is it ok to trust their rankings or like scout.com is everything they do a fraud since they've got the Spartans ranked too low in their recruiting rankings.