Sign in to follow this  
guy incognito

October 2, 1968

In today's world the pennant clincher would've been a bit different in 1968. Remember the days when the scores weren't readily known like the are today. Harwell or Carey saying things like "Well, the Boston game has been in the fifth inning a really long time" or "We haven't got anything about the Baltimore game in a long time" comments? That was going on in the early 1990s. Back in 1968 the Tigers knew the score of the Baltimore game, but didn't put it on the scoreboard or anything like that. I have the radio broadcast of the game, and the score of the Baltimore contest was never made official on that broadcast either. So when the Tigers won that contest, it had the feel of that specific game clinching the division, when in reality it was clinched before the game was over.

It still would've been a great day to be at the park or a Tigers' fan, but giving the game they were playing the sense of being the one that actually clinched it, made the day a ton more dramatic.

And now even if it wasn't the true game that clinched it, that's how it felt like and that's how anyone who was experiencing that moment will remember it as well. I'm glad it worked out the way it did.

Curt Gowdy AND Harry Caray (still doing the Cardinals at that point) in the booth, quite a combo.

Ernie Harwell was doing the NBC Radio broadcast of that game with Pee Wee Reese. He had also gotten to call Koufax's 15-K game in the '63 WS.

Ernie Harwell was doing the NBC Radio broadcast of that game with Pee Wee Reese. He had also gotten to call Koufax's 15-K game in the '63 WS.

Too bad Ernie didn't call the final out of Game 7 - he had already gone down to the clubhouse for interviews. He did call Northrup's triple though.

In today's world the pennant clincher would've been a bit different in 1968. Remember the days when the scores weren't readily known like the are today. Harwell or Carey saying things like "Well, the Boston game has been in the fifth inning a really long time" or "We haven't got anything about the Baltimore game in a long time" comments? That was going on in the early 1990s.

As an out-of-state Tigers fan, it was always a challenge trying to get scores of days games in those days as only night games came through on the radio. I knew the exact times they gave scores on various radio stations each hour and I would check them religiously. It was an extra bonus if they actually gave you details of the game like who hit a home run. It was absolutely amazing for me when they first started posting live box scores on the internet.

As an out-of-state Tigers fan, it was always a challenge trying to get scores of days games in those days as only night games came through on the radio. I knew the exact times they gave scores on various radio stations each hour and I would check them religiously. It was an extra bonus if they actually gave you details of the game like who hit a home run. It was absolutely amazing for me when they first started posting live box scores on the internet.

I remember those days. I also remember having the late night score phone numbers memorized for one of the papers. I think it was the Detroit News. If by some small chance I missed a game, I always could bail myself out with that thing. I was lucky being in the state. I got the paper every day for the boxes. And for my personal record of the season - my subscription to the Sporting News. I am still mad about the loss of those treasures.

... Back in 1968 the Tigers knew the score of the Baltimore game, but didn't put it on the scoreboard or anything like that. I have the radio broadcast of the game, and the score of the Baltimore contest was never made official on that broadcast either. So when the Tigers won that contest, it had the feel of that specific game clinching the division, when in reality it was clinched before the game was over.

Thats interesting and thanks for sharing.