Oblong

WDFN: Rumors that Millen's cleaning out his office

barry-runner.jpg

Any chance this guy will unretire?

I don't think so, but I'd love to have him get some role in the organization.

The entire free world has known Millen's out for hours, yet the Lions have yet to schedule a press conference. This could possibly mean that something bigger is in the works; perhaps WCF Jr. is finally going to assume the reigns?

God I hope so... he couldn't possibly be worse than Daddy.

I may be in the minority but I believe with what has transpired over the last 3 days, Jr. is about to take control of the franchise.

I think this is very possible.

do the ford's still on the team......yes.

then none of this matters....

the lions ruin everything they touch.....

they could bring in God himself and the fords would figure out a way to ruin that too....

as long as the fords own it....nothing matters....

its cool he is gone i guess....5 years from now we will be watching the same news conference week after week with a crappy team a lousy couch....somehow ford sr will still be alive.......AND WE WILL STILL SUCK.

This is a step in the correct direction. I still feel that as long as WCF Sr. is in charge, things won't change all that much.

The entire free world has known Millen's out for hours, yet the Lions have yet to schedule a press conference. This could possibly mean that something bigger is in the works; perhaps WCF Jr. is finally going to assume the reigns?

why would that be a good thing anyway....

he is still a ford...he is not a football guy.......

seriously again i guess its cool millen is gone.....i guess it would be nice to see the old man out of there....but woudl it really matter?

the fords need to sell (WHICH THEY ARE NOT GOING TO DO)....or they need to realize they dont know the first thing about running a team and get some football guys in there to run the team and then STAY THE HELL OUT OF THE RUNNING OF THAT TEAM.

they need to go home and polish all there gold and silver coins and stay away from that team....

stay away i tell you.........stay away (insert creepy halloween music here)

You don't need a football guy to be an owner. Dan Rooney and Ralph Wilson Jr., except fror having longevity as owners, are not football men.

However, The problem that WCF Sr. has that WCF Jr. doesn't have is that he's stubborn, and in general, is a poor businessman. Jr. has gone against the grain quite a bit in his career, and has wanted this change to happen for a long time. He'd probably make a better owner than his dad.

You don't need a football guy to be an owner. Dan Rooney and Ralph Wilson Jr., except fror having longevity as owners, are not football men.

However, The problem that WCF Sr. has that WCF Jr. doesn't have is that he's stubborn, and in general, is a poor businessman. Jr. has gone against the grain quite a bit in his career, and has wanted this change to happen for a long time. He'd probably make a better owner than his dad.

no you dont need to be a football guy to be the owner....

you do need to be a football guy if you are trying to run the team....

i think the fords , despite who they have hired, have been trying to run that team for years....whether it was pressure for certain picks, "puppet coaches or g.m.'s"....

make no mistake the ford's were running that team...

ownership is fine....but stay out of the running of that team.

no you dont need to be a football guy to be the owner....

you do need to be a football guy if you are trying to run the team....

i think the fords , despite who they have hired, have been trying to run that team for years....whether it was pressure for certain picks, "puppet coaches or g.m.'s"....

make no mistake the ford's were running that team...

ownership is fine....but stay out of the running of that team.

So, in other words, Jr. is guilty because his dad is an idiot?

Some names mentioned on the radio:

Pittsburgh GM Kevin Colbert

Philly GM Tom Heckert

NE Dir PP Nick Caserio

74111592.Fxl8Ffim.s20070208_SeeingRed.jpg

oh, now I see what you are saying - thanks for the glasses :confused:

- He is fiercely loyal to his executives.

- He builds and maintains top notch facilities

- In the past when games were in danger of being blacked out, there have been times that he's bought tickets so fans could watch.

I'm not declaring that he's the best owner of all-time, but what I'm saying is that this is not Donald Sterling here. There are good things he does, things that successful owners of franchises do. Things that could make his ownership successful. The one thing he has not done, unfortunately, is a big one...........that's win...........which is directly linked to "not picking the right guy".

So far as I can tell, that has been his only flaw, it just so happens to be a very very large one.

So, in other words, Jr. is guilty because his dad is an idiot?

no he is not an idiot. but im sure he knows very little about running a team.

would you try to actually run the team? i wouldnt.

i took ford jr how many years now to stand up to the old man to get rid of ford jr....and he did it via the media......yea he is a real tough guy. dont give him too much credit here.

im not saying he is an idiot..i don tknow the man. what i am saying is in any situation life,....you must recognize your weakness.

the ford's may be good business people that mean well and have good hearts...i dont know.

but have the sense to to step away (nothing personal implied)...recognize your weakness in the day to day operation of the team.....get good football people in there and step away.....no micromanaging or puppet any more

I have never heard any reports that the ownership was meddling and micromanaging. If anything, I think the opposite is true. They got out of the way to a fault. Letting Millen have full control even after it was obvious that Millen was a bumbling jackass.

The Lions have won only one playoff game and are an NFL-worst 31-84 since Millen took over in 2001.

Wait .. what playoff game was that? I was under the impression that we've only won one playoff game in over 50+ years, and that it took a player getting paralyzed to do so .. so am I missing something here, or are people trying to give Millen more credit than what he actually deserves .. weird.

This has to be one of the hardest jobs in all of sports .. cause no matter what the Tigers, Red Wings, or Pistons do .. Detroit is a football town, which is evident over the fact that there are still so many fans for a team that has been this bad for so long .. so who would want that job anyway, huh - who?

The stress of that might be too much...

Of course, if you succeed .. you'll be treated like a God the rest of your natural born life, and your family will as well.

Is that the sun I see?

My eyes they were covered, but now they are let free, this cursed burden has been lifted, I can have *hope* again.

Hope.

It's so powerful, alas my eyes are blurry again if only because of the tears of delight that are forthcoming.

Hope.

Hope.....

http://www.mlive.com/lions/index.ssf/2008/09/its_confirmed_the_lions_have_f.html

An official with the Detroit Lions has confirmed that president Matt Millen has been fired as team president today.

While nothing is official yet, a source close to the situation said chief operating officer Tom Lewand and assistant general manager Martin Mayhew will split Millen's duties for the rest of the season. A permanent replacement for Millen is not expected to be named until after the end of the 2009 season.

I hope somebody out there is looking for a new challenge in their career, because, damn we got one for ya.

I thought I'd be more hopeful once millen was gone....for some reason I still get the "same 'ol lions" feeling...wierd

Some names mentioned on the radio:

Pittsburgh GM Kevin Colbert

Philly GM Tom Heckert

NE Dir PP Nick Caserio

That's interesting, I've always thought that Philly did a very good job with the draft and cap management. A Heckert/Cowher team would be awesome.

DT, who would really want this project to deal with, full well knowing the history of the Ford reign ...

I don't know any of that stuff. I don't pretend to think I know who's qualified either. But I would think it would be a great job for someone that wants to prove themselves. You have an owner that's patient and there is a salary cap - you won't get tightfisted there. And if you do a good job, you'll get more recognition than if you do a good job for a successful organization.

seriously again i guess its cool millen is gone.....i guess it would be nice to see the old man out of there....but woudl it really matter?

the fords need to sell (WHICH THEY ARE NOT GOING TO DO)....or they need to realize they dont know the first thing about running a team and get some football guys in there to run the team and then STAY THE HELL OUT OF THE RUNNING OF THAT TEAM.

they need to go home and polish all there gold and silver coins and stay away from that team....

stay away i tell you.........stay away (insert creepy halloween music here)

wasn't millen a football guy? Didn't ford let him do what he wanted and not interfear and give him plenty of time to rebuild the team like a football guy would?

How about we get someone with experience running and organization and evaluating talent? maybe even someone with a good track record at that!