Oblong

WDFN: Rumors that Millen's cleaning out his office

That's really all they are saying. Just rumors and speculation. But hey... you guys can have hope.

Millen fired? Rumors are flying all over Allen Park

by Tom Kowalski

Wednesday September 24, 2008, 9:43 AM

Rumors are swirling around the Detroit Lions practice facility in Allen Park that something is going on with president Matt Millen. It could be that he's been fired by owner William Clay Ford or it could be a shakeup, either in the personnel department or coaching staff, that doesn't involve Millen. It could also be that nothing is going on and it's just rumor.

However, none of my phones calls have been returned this morning and it appears some of those cell phones have been turned off. That makes the situation very suspicioius. Stay tuned.

http://www.mlive.com/lions/index.ssf/2008/09/millen_fired_rumors_are_flying.html
MILLEN IS OUT!

Posted by Mike Florio on September 24, 2008, 10:02 a.m. EDT

Less than an hour ago, yours truly told the Sports Junkies on WJFK radio in D.C. that Matt Millen will continue to run the Detroit Lions for as long as William Clay Ford Sr. owns the team.

And, to no surprise, Millen has been fired. Jay Glazer of FOX reports that Millen is out.

Per Glazer, the decision came on Tuesday night. It’s unclear whether Millen resigned or was fired. The timing of the move, coming a day after Bill Ford Jr. said that he’d fire Millen if he could makes us think that Millen might have decided to move on.

Millen, who previously was a game analyst for FOX, became the president and G.M. of the team in 2001. The team generated a woeful record of 31-84 during seven-plus seasons.

http://www.profootballtalk.com/2008/09/24/millen-is-out/

I can't........which is the crux of the post I just ummm posted

A little help please....

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Being in Canada, 45 minutes from Toronto I am inundated w/ all things Leafs and Blue Jays on the radio. That used to be not a big deal, I'd always just fire up WDFN on line and listen in...but now, that option is no longer available to me.

This morning, much to my dismay I was blocked from on-line access to WDFN because I no longer reside in America. At a time when the Wings and Pistons are firing up and WCF Jr may want to fire everybody, listening to Detroit radio seems almost essential. Can any of you tell me how to by pass the block from WDFN...or tell me of somewhere else where I can turn to to hear some on-line Detroit soprts talk.

Thanks in advance......

http://msn.foxsports.com/nfl/story/8601458/Millen-out-as-Lions-president,-GM

Detroit fans, your wish appears to have finally come true.

FOXSports.com has learned that the Lions have finally removed team president and GM Matt Millen from his post, unseating one of the most criticized executives in Detroit sports history.

Millen was informed of the move last night during a late-night high-level meeting. This morning several people within the building confirmed that he had large packing boxes in his office and he made his way around to different employees telling them of the move.

It is unclear if Millen was fired or removed himself from the equation but the news comes just days after Bill Ford, Jr. publicly stated he would have fired the GM if it was his decision but he lacked the authority to do so.

The Lions have started off horribly and the groundswell for Millen's demise has once again been strong. Unfortunately, that's nothing new as there have been events like the Millen Man March, an in-game walkout protest and calls for Millen's firing for years.

The Lions have won only one playoff game and are an NFL-worst 31-84 since Millen took over in 2001. They have also been a model of futility on the road and Millen has gone through three head coaches, none of whom have been able to turn the Lions into a winner.

I won't believe it until I see him on videotape, with his grandmother holding two forms of ID, with boxes in his hand and ....

Looks like Ford Jr. was making a business move, trying to get him to resign. Supporting the idea that Ford Jr. has more pull than he was letting on.

Early, yes, but who comes in to run the football ops? I am guessing there'll be some kind of caretaker set up from someone on staff now until the end of the season when Detroit can look at all the possible candidates to turn this disaster around.

Thoughts ....?

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=3606294

Report: Millen out as Lions team president, GM

ESPN.com news services

Updated: September 24, 2008, 10:20 AM ET

The Matt Millen era is reportedly over in Detroit.

The embattled Lions team president and general manager is leaving the position, Fox Sports.com reported Wednesday. It was unclear whether he had been fired or resigned, according to the report.

The move comes a day after Bill Ford, Jr., the son of team owner William Clay Ford, publicly said he would have fired Millen if he had the authority to do so. The Lions are 31-84 under Millen and have won only one playoff game during his tenure. But until this point, the Lions have resisted wide-spread calls from fans seeking Millen's ouster.

According to the report, Millen had informed a number of employees about the change on Wednesday morning and had large packing boxes in his office.

Hell just froze over!

Is Marinelli in trouble?

PLEASE GOD LET THIS BE TRUE SO I CAN BE A LIONS FAN AGAIN.

You're easy. I won't be back until WCF is out.

The Lions are 31-84 under Millen and have won only one playoff game during his tenure.

It wasn't under his tenure.

Early, yes, but who comes in to run the football ops? I am guessing there'll be some kind of caretaker set up from someone on staff now until the end of the season when Detroit can look at all the possible candidates to turn this disaster around.

Thoughts ....?

I wish they could hire someone right away so they can use the rest of the season to evaluate all the current coaches and players. Then going into the offseason they'll have an idea of what they need but I'm not sure that's the way to get the best GM since most of the better candidates will be working with their team until the end of the season.