dt35456884

Detroit Tigers Hall of Fame - 2008 Veterans Committee Elections

I voted for five guys last year and two got in. I'm voting for the other three this time because I think they are the three most deserving candidates and I just don't see a 4th.

I'll sneak in one more writeup on Mr. Barrett, lifted from Wikipedia:

Early years

Born in Athol, Massachusetts, Barrett served in the U.S. Army from 1894-96. Barrett joined the company baseball team, playing shortstop for three years.[1]

In 1899, Barrett played for the Detroit team in the Western Association before being sold to the Cincinnati Reds in August 1899. In one month with the Reds in 1899, Barrett hit for a .370 batting average, .477 on base percentage, and .478 slugging percentage. Barrett never matched those numbers again, but continued to be one of the better hitters of his time. In 1900, he hit .316, with a .400 on base percentage and had career highs with 172 hits, 114 runs and 44 stolen bases (both 3rd best in the National League).

Detroit Tigers (1901-1905)

In 1901, Barrett jumped to the newly formed American League, signing with the Detroit Tigers. Barrett was the star of the Tigers team in the first 5 years of the franchise's history from 1901-1905. In 1901, Barrett was among the league leaders in the American League's inaugural season in runs scored with 110 (5th), bases on balls with 76 (3rd), on base percentage at .385 (9th), times on base with 240 (4th), and plate appearances with 630 (4th).

Jimmy Barrett's 1903 E107 Breisch Williams baseball card

Barrett continued to rank among the best batters in the American League each year from 1901-1904. His .397 on base percentage in 1902 was fourth highest in the league. His performance in 1903 may have been his best season, leading the league with a .407 on base percentage, 74 bases on balls, and 243 times on base.

In the 1904 season, despite a 154-game schedule, Barrett became the first big leaguer to appear in 162 games after Detroit set a season record with 10 tie games. His record for games played was unmatched until the schedules increased to 162 games in 1961. In 1904, Barrett also led the American League with 79 bases on balls and 249 times on base.

Barrett was also an excellent fielder. He had a strong arm and led all American League outfielders in assists in three of the first four American League seasons. From 1900-1904, Barrett racked up an impressive total of 126 assists including 31 in 1901 and 29 in 1904. He also led American League outfielders in putouts in 1902 (326) and 1904 (339). His Range factor score was markedly above the league average from 1900-1904, including 1902 when his 2.56 Range factor score was 0.52 points above the league average.

Of all the players on the list I think he's most deserving given the era and his accomplishments in his time with the team.

Not really sure why people are so high on Benton, I don't see it.

His adjusted WHIPs ( Log 5 normalized WHIP versus batter with historical average stats) were:

In 1945 he was third on the team in wins, had a nice world series in relief, and he probably had his second best year as a pro (1941). But it was really nothing special outside the 5 SHo and 175+ ERA (.241 OAV and 1.242 WHIP telling me he was a bit lucky), Tigers would have never won the World Series or gotten there without Newhouser and Benton's contribution was as a secondary player (which is great but I don't see Benton as someone special enough to get to the HOF here unless we are just basing it on the fact the Tigers really have been void of a whole lot of true pitching talent in their history).

He was never more than a 2-1 K/BB pitcher, he pitched for four years with an extremely watered down hitting pool, and despite being an all-star in 41' and 42', his only really special season was 1941 IMO. Wasn't on my list.

I'm going to make my final decision tonight I think. If not then Wednesday. I'm pretty sure what I am going to do though. Just like to look at things and see if they make sense. Not like we haven't done it 20 times over already, but I feel I owe it to the candidates.

I am seconds from making my picks. Last night I looked a bit and I'll be honest - I wouldn't be upset if none of the players make it. There are clearly some good players here but no one is a lock down slam down person that needs to be in.

Seeing them among this group didn't make it easier to see who stands out. It showed me just how equal all these people are - and it scares me to pick out even one or two without being certain behind my answers. Some I have voted for before and yet am having a hard time putting them on my ballot.

I have been saying Benton has been ripped before, but then times I look at him and think he hasn't. I have done the same with Barrett. I have defended picking Evans, Kemp and Maxwell before. But not sure if I should this time.

I am going with Maxwell and Barrett. That's it this time. And to be honest I'm not entirely sure it shouldn't just be Barrett.

That's my last post about this until we find out the results.

I am seconds from making my picks. Last night I looked a bit and I'll be honest - I wouldn't be upset if none of the players make it. There are clearly some good players here but no one is a lock down slam down person that needs to be in.

Seeing them among this group didn't make it easier to see who stands out. It showed me just how equal all these people are - and it scares me to pick out even one or two without being certain behind my answers. Some I have voted for before and yet am having a hard time putting them on my ballot.

I have been saying Benton has been ripped before, but then times I look at him and think he hasn't. I have done the same with Barrett. I have defended picking Evans, Kemp and Maxwell before. But not sure if I should this time.

I am going with Maxwell and Barrett. That's it this time. And to be honest I'm not entirely sure it shouldn't just be Barrett.

That's my last post about this until we find out the results.

Pretty much the conclusion I came to as well.