The Captain

Wild Idea: World's Strongest Men in NFL?

Has this ever been thrown around? Why don't some NFL teams try to reach out to those who compete in world strongest men competitions?

Sounds crazy, but...

These guys pull airliners and double decker buses, I bet they could carry the pile for a couple yards.

Put Mariusz Pudzianowski at running back, you'll get at least 2-3 yards every time. He's super strong, and he's super quick too.

marius.jpg

Look at those effing legs! Get him in a goal line situation and he'll pound it in every time. Even if he hadn't the slightest football knowledge, tell him to hold onto the ball and tell him what hole to run in.

Get some of the bigger guys like Phil Pfister (6'7, 345) or Dominic Filiou (6'5, 440) to be defensive or offensive linemen. For their sizes, they are also very quick and agile. Give them 1-2 years for football learning and training and if they could catch on who could stop them? If teams had to triple team Shaun Rogers, how are they going to stop 6'5, 440 pounds of pure muscle who can pull double decker buses with ease?

Has anyone else ever thought about this? Am I in the loony bin?

you're in the loony bin.....Tony Mandarich was strong and knew how to play and he couldn't make it. All the strength in the world isn't gonna help you hit the whole and get through the line

Brock Lesnar. Is probably stronger than the vast majority of NFL players. He's also quite athletic and agile as he has shown by being a dominant college wrestler and now a very good MMA fighter. Failed miserably trying to make a bad Vikings team.

Maybe also because they chose weightlifting careers and don't play football because they once thought of playing football and it didn't interest them. Maybe being a football star is a cool idea for you, but I'm sure these big and strong guys are aware of the money they can make in the NFL and if they had an interest in that or in the sport they probably would have already tried that if it had appeal to them?

Does the name Aaron Gibson ring a bell?

We drafted him in the first round in 1999 & dude was the biggest guy in the NFL at one point (first player in the NFL to crack 400 lbs). Problem is, he didn't work out. After we cut him, he bounced around to Dallas, Chicago & Buffalo and then ended up playing in the Arena Football League.

Brock Lesnar. Is probably stronger than the vast majority of NFL players. He's also quite athletic and agile as he has shown by being a dominant college wrestler and now a very good MMA fighter. Failed miserably trying to make a bad Vikings team.

I recall him trying out for the Lions, I don't know if he made it though.

The difference between these guys and guys like Lesnar and Gibson is that these guys are among the strongest people in the world.

I doubt Brock Lesnar could bench 616 pounds, squat 826 pounds, and dead lift 924 pounds.

All I'm saying is put one of them at running back for tough yardage. Who in the NFL is going to stop someone who can squat 826 pounds one-on-one?

Not to make any extreme assumptions, but these guys have probably taken so many steroids that they'd snap on first contact.

Not saying players in the NFL don't take any, but I doubt they take as much as these guys

Those guys are fun to watch and pretty amazing, but I would have to agree with the others that they might have a hard time passing the drug screening tests.

Does the name Aaron Gibson ring a bell?

We drafted him in the first round in 1999 & dude was the biggest guy in the NFL at one point (first player in the NFL to crack 400 lbs). Problem is, he didn't work out. After we cut him, he bounced around to Dallas, Chicago & Buffalo and then ended up playing in the Arena Football League.

Actually, at 400 lbs. he bounced around quite a bit while he was here.

Put these guys in pads and they would look like a 3 year old. Football is an entirely different game in full pads. Something a lot of people don't grasp.