Sign in to follow this  
DTroppens

The Detroit Tigers - By Fred Lieb (1947)

For those who have heard of the book or have seen it I have good news. It's available once again at bookstores. I saw it at Barnes and Nobel last night.

For those who don't know, it's a history of the Tigers book that was written in 1946 or 1947 - something like that. It's filled with great detail the history of the team up to that point and it's just a fun read.

I wanted to get it about five years ago and saw it on the internet for a ton of money. Then I went to the Detroit Library and found it there. I actually took the book to a copy machine and copied every single page and put it in a notebook. Mine is now filled up with highlighting and stuff like that.

It's a great book. If you see it, at least check it out and read a bit. I think it's one anyone that's interested in the Tigers' history really needs to get. This is a guy writing about the first half of the 1900s who SAW IT HAPPEN. It's not like me reading stuff and saying it happened. He understood the era and lived it. For that alone, it's worth getting and has to be considered the bible of Tigers' history up to 1940.

Agreed. I have an old library copy I got off ebay. It is a fantastic book. Goes back into the 1800 and the Detroit Wolverines of the NL. Details the Ty Cobb era and the other players of that time. Harry Heilman along with the championships of 35 and 45.

Definitely a must-have for any Tiger fan's library. It's cool that it's being reissued. I picked up a copy (in decent shape) relatively cheap from eBay a few years back.

Except for the glossy paperback cover and the new forward written by Tom Stanton, it's the same book you'd have read if you picked up a brand new copy in '47. (Same typeface and font you'd have seen back then. For those that care about such things, that in itself is quite a throwback.)

I love Lieb's writing style. It definitely harkens back to a bygone era. There's a lot of personality in there. I can't think of the best way to describe it, but "drab" would not be a word I'd use. I don't like the word "charming", but that kinda sums it up a little bit.

I've been meaning to post this. I saw it at Borders a couple months ago and I immediately thought about you, Trop.

I go to Borders all the time. I thought maybe it was a Barnes and Noble exclusive because I had never seen it at Borders. I have a membership at Borders (because that one was free and Barnes and Noble's isn't) so I get all my books there when I get them at the store. I'll need to check it out.

I have the folder that I copied the edition, but not the actual book. This may be one of those things that I can ask for Christmas and my wife can feel good about it for getting me something I'd like.

It's too bad this wasn't out during the hey day of the HOF. I think everyone on the committee would've enjoyed the book.

I had another funny thing happen to me on that trip. I saw an Onion book on the countries of the world. I had no intention of buying it but it was pretty funny so I was going to read it as long as I could. The entire place heard me cracking up as I did. But then I went to the beginning and saw this picture of a Barnes and Noble. I figured I'd read that text. In it they were telling idiots like me to put the book down instead of reading it at Barnes and Noble and justifying it as "testing the book out." They had me nailed. I was impressed.

I picked up a copy in good condition at John King Books a few years back. It holds a treasured place on my bookshelf.

For those who are interested, there was a whole series of those Putnam team histories. Lieb wrote a few others, but not all of them.

I'm glad they reissued the Tiger book, but if you can afford it, and you care about such things, it's worth it to pay the extra few bucks for an original copy. There's just something about the smell of those old books that really does it for me!!!

It's too bad this wasn't out during the hey day of the HOF. I think everyone on the committee would've enjoyed the book.

I think they still will!

A lot of the names might be more familar now because of the HOF than they might have been if people had read it in the pre-HOF era.

Picked it up at B & N last night.

Interesting note in the 1st couple of pages - Lieb refers to Tiger (Briggs) Stadium as "The centrally located Detroit ballpark of today, within walking distance of the downtown hotels, office buildings, and theaters, was then out in the country." (p. 4)

Now, I am not originally from Detroit (but been here 20+ years), I never got the impression that Tiger stadium was close to hotels, businesses, and theatres.

Were there a number of hotels and businesses in/near Corktown in the '40's (when Lieb wrote this)?

I know the trolleys were still operating in the '40's so that you could get from Woodward/GCP out Michigan Ave. to Briggs, but "walking distance"?

I guess we don't walk as much as they did back then! :wink: